Awesome Thread... [Automotive Edition]

456 or bust!

Preferably in blue or green.

56503.jpg

ferrari-456-gt-c556914022017184400_2.jpg

Huh. I thought it first appeared in early 90s Japanese market luxury cars.

No login required as far as I can tell....

SatNav was invented in the early 1970s.

Huh. I thought it first appeared in early 90s Japanese market luxury cars.
Well, technically that system isn't satnav but nav by length between turns. As in the video explained at the very end of course there is one major flaw: you have to stick exactly to the pre-recorded route, otherwise the whole navigation will be messed up and you definitely won't arrive where you want to arrive.

Additionally, recording every conceivable route even within one city would take more tape than ever produced in the whole world. :p

Sure but it's always interesting when ideas from science fiction or in this case pioneering inventors actually become a reality.

Replicators from Star Trek? 3D Printer
The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy? The internet and a wireless enabled tablet.
HKs from Terminator? Armed drones.

CBA to think of any more right now but you get the idea.

Couple more:

Star Trek communicator -> mobile phones
Jules Verne's Nautilus -> (diesel-)electric submarines

I prefer the 355, but I see what you mean. I would much rather have a 355 with a proper manual instead of any modern dual-clutch Ferrari.

Same. Just look at it... There just isn't another Ferrari that looks this good. The 456 and F40 are CLOSE (456 is below only by a hair) but just not there. I will say immediately after the 355 Ferrari's have degraded in beauty and desirability to the hunk of computerized trash we have now.

ferrari-355-f1-spide-9_1600x0w.jpg

Same. Just look at it... There just isn't another Ferrari that looks this good. The 456 and F40 are CLOSE (456 is below only by a hair) but just not there. I will say immediately after the 355 Ferrari's have degraded in beauty and desirability to the hunk of computerized trash we have now.

ferrari-355-f1-spide-9_1600x0w.jpg

The F355, in my eyes, sits in the right spot of looking modern but with hints to the vintage cars.
Of course I would love having the modern cars, and the F50 will be my favorite ever, but this one looks just right. It's soft and curvy, with pop-up headlights, a screaming V8 and a proper gated shifter (well, until the F1 versions. No thanks). No huge wheels, no crazy wrinkles and aggressive fronts, no bullshit. Just a low, wide, good-looking sports car.

Also, that ass:
IMG_5449.a.jpg

Last edited:
The F355, in my eyes, sits in the right spot of looking modern but with hints to the vintage cars.
Of course I would love having the modern cars, and the F50 will be my favorite ever, but this one looks just right. It's soft and curvy, with pop-up headlights, a screaming V8 and a proper gated shifter (well, until the F1 versions. No thanks). No huge wheels, no crazy wrinkles and aggressive fronts, no bullshit. Just a low, wide, good-looking sports car.

Also, that ass:
IMG_5449.a.jpg

I'm with you!

And yes, that ass...

Also, that ass:
IMG_5449.a.jpg
Best looking modern Ferrari, by far... but I think the F430 is the best sounding V8 Ferrari.

Sadly, the one in the embedded video above deserves a better owner than that dick, who keeps going over the double yellow.

Also, I (not very seriously) toyed with the idea of buying a used 355 before I purchased ze Porsche, since around 2013-2014 they appeared to hit their price nadir, and (for a Ferrari) were very reasonably priced indeed. Then I found out how much it costs to service one for just an (engine out) oil change....

Last edited:
Best looking modern Ferrari, by far... but I think the F430 is the best sounding V8 Ferrari.

Sadly, the one in the embedded video above deserves a better owner than that dick, who keeps going over the double yellow.

Also, I (not very seriously) toyed with the idea of buying a used 355 before I purchased ze Porsche, since around 2013-2014 they appeared to hit their price nadir, and (for a Ferrari) were very reasonably priced indeed. Then I found out how much it costs to service one for just an (engine out) oil change....

I agree with you, the F430 is indeed the best sounding V8 Ferrari, but on the whole, considering the looks and the fact that the F430 is paddle-shift only, I'd still choose the F355.

Regarding the maintenance: yes, I've read that too. Realistically, the F360 is cheaper and easier to maintain and can be had a manual, unlike the F430 so if I had the money I would probably get a F360 but since I can't afford either, I choose the F355. :lol:

I agree with you, the F430 is indeed the best sounding V8 Ferrari, but on the whole, considering the looks and the fact that the F430 is paddle-shift only, I'd still choose the F355.

Regarding the maintenance: yes, I've read that too. Realistically, the F360 is cheaper and easier to maintain and can be had a manual, unlike the F430 so if I had the money I would probably get a F360 but since I can't afford either, I choose the F355. :lol:
Let me blow your mind:

The F430 was available with a stick. Good luck finding one, however... and they have a significant cost premium over the more ?pedestrian? paddle shift cars.

Yeah, I can dream, but it will never happen. Any Ferrari is one, if not three, bridges too far for me. Not that I have anything to complain about on that front. ;)

But yeah, in my dream garage, there would be a space for a F430 Speciale (?Needs? :jeremy:)...

Last edited:
Let me blow your mind:

The F430 was available with a stick. Good luck finding one, however... and they have a significant cost premium over the more ?pedestrian? paddle shift cars.

Yeah, I can dream, but it will never happen. Any Ferrari is one, if not three, bridges too far for me. Not that I have anything to complain about on that front. ;)

But yeah, in my dream garage, there would be a space for a F430 Speciale (?Needs? :jeremy:)...

Oh, I stand corrected.
I had the impression the F360 was the last V8 available with a manual. Perhaps "available in expressive numbers" or something. :lol:
You have the last 6-cylinder Bosxter, you have nothing to complaint about. :p
With the success of the manual 911s, maybe Ferrari will offer a version of the 488 with a manual? One can dream...Anyway, who am I kidding, I can barely afford my warm hatch. :lol::cry:

It's not even the 360

Ferrari-California-Manual-03.jpg

I'm of two minds really. But overall I would say yes to a manual California.

Last edited:
I prefer the 355, but I see what you mean. I would much rather have a 355 with a proper manual instead of any modern dual-clutch Ferrari.

Well, both: F355 and 456 are better than 360, but somehow I no longer consider them "modern". They are, in my eyes already classics, youngtimers etc.

Well, both: F355 and 456 are better than 360, but somehow I no longer consider them "modern". They are, in my eyes already classics, youngtimers etc.

I might be wrong, but in my eyes they both look quite different from the ones before, much more alike to the ones that came afterwards.

Two posts up.