Awesome Thread

toma_alimosh

Also known as "Myke Hunt"
Car(s)
2014 Volkswagen Jetta
How can you tell when new telescopes came online? :p

Also, we're not killed cause most of those are small enough to burn up harmlessly in the atmosphere. There's a reported 125 strikes per hour. :)
That's total meteorites, not asteroids. Asteroids are at least tens of meters across, not the usual rock-the-size-of-a-briefcase you're talking about. Also, the ones in the tens of meters are quite small and they usually get picked up only if they get close to Earth. So most of the ones observed are usually into the hundreds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteroid#Characteristics

Shit we live next to a bunch of crap. How are we not killed by crap raining down on us again?
Because of the speed that the "crap" is traveling at. These asteroids have such huge momentum that the Earth's gravity isn't strong enough to even put them in orbit, never mind suck them in. So for an impact to happen it has to be really close, such as close enough to skid through the very high upper atmosphere, thus creating an air-brake effect, or it has to be a direct bulls-eye. In 2027 a huge rock is going to come very close to earth (about the distance to geostationary orbit - TV satellites for those that don't know-, well within the moon's orbit) and it will still miss, just to give you a point of reference.
And since it needs to be a bulls-eye, the probability drops astronomically (pun intended) once you look at the real scale of our solar system (not depicted in the video).

Wohoo! We're safe from that too! No volcanoes, no earthquakes, no asteroid impacts.
:bangin: An asteroid 1 km in diameter is large enough to be a global calamity. The one that wiped out the dinosaurs was only 12 km in diameter. We got hit by much bigger before that, which caused even larger extinction events.

AiR

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Bulgogi Knedliky 1.6 GDI (Hyundai i30)
Nah we'll be fine, the salarians will figure something out. Salarians are awesome.

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
Random awesome thought.

I think it's really awesome that cats' whiskers grow to the width of the cat.

KaJuN

Disco Inferno
Car(s)
Mini Cooper S, Landy Series III, Vulcan 900 Custom
Random awesome thought.

I think it's really awesome that cats' whiskers grow to the width of the cat.
I think it's also awesome that cats will ignore what their whiskers are telling them and get their heads stuck in cups.

Their curiosity is awesome too. They have to investigate every new thing in their little worlds. Like the time we were fixing the kitchen sink and had a bucket of the old water that had been trapped in the pipes for days and smelled really bad. Of course our cat had to see what was in the bucket so he stuck his head in and took a big whiff. He quickly backed away and tried to run off but vomited before he could get too far. :lol:

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
Well of course they do, thats the whole point of whiskers. :rolleyes:
Yes I know, but it's still awesome in its design and simplicity.

And if you cut the whiskers off a cat it will bump into things.

Works with old ladies too! :p

Firecat

Politically Charged
Apologize if this is a repost. Plans for "Solar City Tower" in Rio de Janeiro for the 2016 games. Supposed to be some kind of waterfall that provides energy etc.

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/8317/image0055n.jpg[/]
[img]http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/5635/image0066g.jpg

IceBone

Blue Wheel Hipster
DONOR
Car(s)
Audi A5 Quattro
So the power needed to get the water that high will be lower than the power gained from the water falling afterwards? Yeah... right...