Awesome Thread

It's a modern computer in a C64 case and keyboard. How the hell does it not feel like a C64? Because it has more than 64kb of RAM? :?
I wrote why. It's in your quote. New key switches. Pointless. Should be old key switches. Not better. The same. That's 75% of the charm of the C64. The keyboard spongy yet rigid click.

While I see the appeal of such a device, it seems more logical to just make the input (mouse, keyboard) wireless rather than the display. Attach the device to the TV and more or less forget about it, and you can make your keyboard look like a C64 or whatever you want.
I'm thinking of how well the Boxee remote would work with general faffing about on my HTPC. It'd be great if it worked like a mouse in Windows, and not just Boxee. Now I have to switch between mouse and keyboard because every keyboard with integrated trackpad sucks, unless you buy one for a million pesetas. There are gyro solutions but also way too expensive.

Last edited:
I wrote why. It's in your quote. New key switches. Pointless. Should be old key switches. Not better. The same. That's 75% of the charm of the C64. The keyboard spongy yet rigid click.

I'm thinking of how well the Boxee remote would work with general faffing about on my HTPC. It'd be great if it worked like a mouse in Windows, and not just Boxee. Now I have to switch between mouse and keyboard because every keyboard with integrated trackpad sucks, unless you buy one for a million pesetas. There are gyro solutions but also way too expensive.

Me, I'm sticking around until Samsung goes google tv. All of their hardware so far can play lots of formats and has support for ALL paid streaming video services, but sucks in terms of web app integration. On the other hand, boxee is ok with web and ok with playable formats, but you can just tell it won't grow much after. Also, google tv so far has been much better for surfing the web on tv. What I don't like is the playstation remote that sony gave it. And I also don't want a full keyboard like logitech did. Maybe samsung will finally come up with a much better google tv hardware. And if they keep their samsung apps like I believe they will, that's even better.

They keys it has are basically the same style as the original, just higher quality and easier to use over extended periods.

Gigante Bomb, doing what they do best.

[video=youtube;RZWE--Avl_8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZWE--Avl_8[/video]

All good particularly 13 min.

Holy shit. That looks awesome. :blink:

mostly fun for us scandinavian speaking ppl, bu ut.. enjoy

that unreal engine 3 video is definately the most awesome thing i've seen so far this year. Epic may make some fairly dodgy games (I know they are responsible for Unreal Tournament but i've never caught that bug and not really a big fan of their Gears series either), but when it comes to their video game engine technology. they are still light years ahead of the competition.

Well, there's really nothing wrong in putting all the effort into an amazing 3D-engine and letting some other company cough Valve cough design the games. Shame though, think I'll have to upgrade my gaming hardware if they come up with anything playable.

Well, there's really nothing wrong in putting all the effort into an amazing 3D-engine and letting some other company cough Valve cough design the games. Shame though, think I'll have to upgrade my gaming hardware if they come up with anything playable.

I'm pretty sure my current gaming rig could handle almost any modern game. I wish I could remember the specs at the moment, but I honestly kind of forgot about what all I put in the guts after I built it a few years ago.

When it comes to gaming, "handle" is subjective.

I just looked up the minimum specs and my machine should easily handle it, unless there's some joke here I'm not getting.

I'll quote TVTropes for this:

# Beyond The Impossible:

* Playing the game on the highest graphics settings. Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation summed it up by saying something to the effect of "Crysis was designed to be played on some kind of futuristic supercomputer from space."
* The Sandbox editor officially does not work on 32-bit systems due to the ungodly amounts of memory needed in order to create a map at a speed more than "slideshow".

To give you an idea, only in roughly the past year have single-GPU cards come out that can run Crysis at ~30-40 fps at the highest settings, at 1920 X 1080, with AA. To get ~60 fps, sli/crossfire setups are mandatory. The game came out in 2007, and is still used as a benchmark for modern graphics card.