Awesome Thread

Chicago's industril heyday. Here and there across the city you can still see evidence of just how much of an industrial powerhouse it once was, it's staggering.

Great picture. Shame those dudes couldn't have stood still.

And it always amazes me that in America you have to climb steps to board a railway carriage. Why not just build the platform the correct height in the first place?

Great picture. Shame those dudes couldn't have stood still.

And it always amazes me that in America you have to climb steps to board a railway carriage. Why not just build the platform the correct height in the first place?

Everything was built around the carriage made for industrial use.

Thats nice to see something from Russia that don't involve car accidents and maniacs pointing guns at people

Thats nice to see something from Russia that don't involve car accidents and maniacs pointing guns at people

In Soviet Russia, stranger help you!

Similar to what I thought. I am so accustomed with Russia being a place where people overtake you on their roof in a flow of sparks before being smashed to bent metal by an out-of-control SUV coming from some unrelated direction that I had problems to believe that is the same world.

That put a smile on my face.

These sort of things go here, right?

IBM Atom Stop Motion Film

[video=youtube;oSCX78-8-q0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSCX78-8-q0[/video]

IBM Atom Stop Motion Film

[video=youtube;oSCX78-8-q0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSCX78-8-q0[/video]

Incredibly awesome!

But...why can we see the individual atoms of the carbon monoxide..but not the individual ones of the copper background?

The electrons of metals such as copper "swim around" in a sort of electron soup, while electrons in molecules like CO are contained together and stay in a clump. It's the electrons that are the source of all chemical reactions, so their different behavior is why you see them differently. Sort of like how sandstone stands out on top of a sandy beach even though they're made of the same components.