Baking!

With a dough like that I'm always inclined to say it wasn't kneaded enough rather than something is wrong with the amount of fat/water. but the recipe somehow doesn't really call for much kneading, it actually reads like you're supposed to do very little of that, which i personally find very weird. i'd totally expect that dough to crumble like hell (at 2:1 flour to fat ratio) unless kneaded thoroughly o_O

With a dough like that I'm always inclined to say it wasn't kneaded enough rather than something is wrong with the amount of fat/water. but the recipe somehow doesn't really call for much kneading, it actually reads like you're supposed to do very little of that, which i personally find very weird. i'd totally expect that dough to crumble like hell (at 2:1 flour to fat ratio) unless kneaded thoroughly o_O

Yeah, I was thinking the same.
Maybe let the food processor run for a little longer. :dunno:

once it's consistent, i would take it out of the food processor, and knead by hand...

once it's consistent, i would take it out of the food processor, and knead by hand...

I tought that, but kneading by hand might melt the fats too much, no?

they need to be absorbed by the dough, so i guess that's a good thing?
lots of dough recipes where you need butter, make you melt the butter first...

they need to be absorbed by the dough, so i guess that's a good thing?
lots of dough recipes where you need butter, make you melt the butter first...

This one is supposed to be flaky after baked, so I guess you need layers.
I suck at baking...

yeah, without kneading by hand, it's utterly hopeless imo. usually i skip the whole food processor thing and do the whole thing by hand...

I reckon more water would do the job. Recipes like this will vary depending on the flour you use, as they all absorb water slightly differently.

It's a dough made with cold fat and flour. If it's too crumbly, it's overworked and too warm. Keep this dough as cold as possible. Make it with ice cold ingredients, even the water needs to be really cold, preferably ice water,and touch it with your hands as little as possible. Refrigeration after mixing is not optional. If done well, it will yield a supple dough.

It's a dough made with cold fat and flour. If it's too crumbly, it's overworked and too warm. Keep this dough as cold as possible. Make it with ice cold ingredients, even the water needs to be really cold, preferably ice water,and touch it with your hands as little as possible. Refrigeration after mixing is not optional. If done well, it will yield a supple dough.

The water, fat and butter were at fridge temperature and I refrigerated the dough for 30 minutes, per the recipe.
I'll try colder ingredients and less time in the mixer next time.
Thanks for the tips. :D

you can also periodically, pull the mixer bowl off the mixer, and put it down in a bowl of icewater for a bit.

12065973_1235196193173659_3195661469978622135_n.jpg

12140710_1235208746505737_7853745445574414209_n.jpg

This came out better than I expected.
The lettering was all screwed up, but that was expected.

you made the nurburgring??

seriously, what the hell is that? :lol:

I started baking sweets a few weeks ago. For week one I made simple sugar cookies, they turned out pretty well. For week two, I made chocolate chip cookies, those turned out ok; I think I made three mistakes: I think the butter was too warm, I should have chilled the dough and I feel I used too big of a scoop; 1 1/2 of a tablespoon instead of 1 table spoon size.

Today it was plain white cherry flavored cup cakes; I made everything from scratch following this recipe. I would advise if you are making cupcakes to set the time for 20 minutes, not 30-40. I also made my own buttercream frosting following the recipe I found in my cookbook. Each batch yields about 12-17 cupcakes.

They turned out great! I added 1 teaspoon of cherry extract to the batter after it was already thoroughly mixed, then mixed it for a good minute more. Here is a good piece of advice: use cake flour, not all purpose flour, it makes a WORLD of difference! Also, making your own frosting makes it seem like it gourmet instead of the oily stuff that comes in a plastic can. I added 8 drops of red food coloring to the frosting to give it nice pink hue; I am taking twelve and Kara is taking twelve to our co-workers. I like to do this because they are brutally honest with my creations, and I appreciate that.

I would also like to mention I have been making bread with my bread maker for the past 6 weeks; I found a perfect recipe for bread maker sourdough bread, and now I keep a container of sourdough starter in my refrigerator. If you do follow the recipe, I advise to set it two the 2 pound loaf size and medium crust color. Also, while it is in the beginning mix, I add one teaspoon of warm water.

Last edited:
If you are into bread, try focaccia. Super easy, super tasty. Some flake salt, good olive oil, and rosemary? Mmm...I may make some tomorrow..

Last edited:
Should've done this way earlier, as the apple season is pretty much over in Norway now. Made an apple tart today. Rough puff pastry base, pastry cream and thinly sliced apples on top. Glazed it with some fig jam I found in the fridge near the end of cooking. Turned out pretty great.

yndDZjH.jpg

Looks really good. :D

I made a deep dish chicken pot pie a while back. Nothing like the scent of a mirepoix mingling with olive oil over open flame. ;)

Fresh from the oven:

rvB4uPn.jpg

Delicious delicious sploooge...

HSI6InC.jpg

Last edited: