BBC & Sky Will Split F1 Coverage 2012-2018

ZondaR

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9550930.stm

The BBC and Sky Sports will broadcast Formula 1 in the UK between 2012 and 2018 under a new rights deal.

The BBC has been the exclusive broadcaster of F1 in the UK since 2009 but its contract with Formula One Management was due to expire after the 2013 season.

Sky Sports will show every race, qualifying session and practice live.
BBC Sport will broadcast half the races live, as well as the qualifying and practice sessions from those races. Both companies will broadcast in High Definition.

The BBC will have highlights on TV and mobile for any race it it is not showing live, and all races will be broadcast on BBC Radio 5 Live.

Barbara Slater, director of BBC Sport, said: "We are absolutely delighted that F1 will remain on the BBC.

"The sport has never been more popular with TV audiences at a 10-year high and the BBC has always stated its commitment to the big national sporting moments.

"With this new deal not only have we delivered significant savings but we have also ensured that through our live and extended highlights coverage all the action continues to be available to licence fee payers."

Races shown live on BBC TV will include the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, the Monaco GP and the concluding race of the season.

Barney Francis, Managing Director of Sky Sports, said: "This is fantastic news for F1 fans and Sky Sports will be the only place to follow every race live and in HD.

"We will give F1 the full Sky Sports treatment with a commitment to each race never seen before on UK television."

Looks like the general reaction is pretty negative. Seems quite unfortunate. Some simply can't afford monthly for it, while some simply won't pay it.

Last edited:
Non F1's were bitching about how much 'we' pay for the rights.
Shame it's not like how we share World Cup coverage with ITV.

Shame half of it isn't going to be free to air anymore. Thought it was Bernie's vision to have it all on free TV?

Thats a load of fucking cod shit if I've ever seen some.

Sky can fuck right off. Not paying them money on top of the fee to watch my favourite sport and gain a load of useless channels I won't watch.

Shame half of it isn't going to be free to air anymore. Thought it was Bernie's vision to have it all on free TV?

yoda.jpg

Clouded Bernie's vision, $$$ has.

Yeah, I won't be paying any extra so I can watch it on Sky Sports. I won't be looking for streams either, I'll just adopt my old 'couldn't give a shit' opinion and not bother with it.

Maybe TSN will get Canadians coverage from sky somehow?

Here's to hoping.

Oh yeah fuck you sky.

Bernie just die already.

Just seen this on BBC News. There is no bloody way that i'll be paying for Sky Sports to watch this. Martin Brundle has tweeted about this
BBC/Sky/F1 2012+. Found out last night, no idea how it will work yet I'm out of contract, will calmly work through options Not impressed

They also had a statement from Bernie where he claimed that it 'was good for F1' and for those who were complaining that F1 was no longer completely being shown on free to air television 'it was out of my hands'

And just as we were getting comfy with the BBC coverage, Bernie has to gatecrash the party and ruin everything. Thanks Bernie. And Sky. <_<

And just as we were getting comfy with the BBC coverage, Bernie has to gatecrash the party and ruin everything. Thanks Bernie. And Sky. <_<

Tone of some of the reactions points more towards the BBC trying to get out of their contract early and this sharing with Sky and cherry-picking of events being their cop-out, so that they can "show" that they're saving money. :|

This sucks. Everything about the BBC's presentation--the commentators, the beautifully produced pre-race bits, the lack of commercial nuisances--is why it's the best in the world, no contest. Practically everyone I know who doesn't just catch it on TV (including myself!) grabs a rip of the BBC coverage. It's spectacular.

No me gusta. No me gusta in the least bit. I think F1's going to see a drop in viewers (legal and otherwise) as a result, and that's not good.

Jake Humphrey has continually tweeted about how F1 races have been consistently popular with the BBC Viewers (last weeks was among the highest amount of viewers for a race. he tweeted "Highest viewing figures for German Grand Prix since 1996 on the BBC this weekend. Thank you.") So the BBC obviously hasn't lost viewers, if anything its gained them. Now Sky will come in with all their sodding adverts, their "Todays F1 race was brought to you be Peniston Beer" sponsor announcements, they'll probably hire crap commentators or far more likely, will try and pinch the BBC F1 team.

I'll watch the BBC races, however i don't think i'll even bother with the Sky showings. I don't think i'll even bother with watching them via streams or torrents. I seriously don't think Sky will be able to match the amount of content and quality consistently delivered by the BBC F1 team.

Thats a load of fucking cod shit if I've ever seen some.

Sky can fuck right off. Not paying them money on top of the fee to watch my favourite sport and gain a load of useless channels I won't watch.

I agree completely. I would rather have the coverage on ITV again than it moving to Sky. In saying that, up until Steve Ryder joined the ITV coverage it was completely tolerable, but went downhill quickly.

We have no intention of getting Sky at home and there is no way I am paying for it when I am back at Uni, Freeview does us just fine and even at that, there is more channels than we ever watch. They have effectively lost a viewer in me even though I will possibly watch the races on the BBC. Last I heard of this, if the BBC didn't want it, then Bernie was going to approach channel 5?

Also, on another note, does anyone know how the WRC viewership has faired since it snuck off to ESPN from Dave? That was also a move that annoyed me and dad when it moved off a channel that we could watch it on for free.

^The WRC is still on Eurosport. Not as good as the Dave coverage, but it's something.

And with the BBC talking about cuts. They are most likely making them to lighten up on the cost of moving pretty much everything up north to Salford.

^ it still isn't on free to air television though, which it was on Dave if you had freeview which quite a lot of people have instead of full out satellite or cable tv. Unless I am mistaken, the only major motorsport I will be able to watch next year apart from the few F1 races on the BBC is the BTCC on ITV4. Yeah, there are some races shown on channel 4 early in the morning at the weekends, but it isn't the same.

Ahh, didn't know Eurosport wasn't on Freeview.

We pay for Sky here, but it's pretty much the most basic cheapest package we've had since the mid 90's.