BBC & Sky Will Split F1 Coverage 2012-2018

All I have to say is great. The only season since 1993 that I have become to follow a complete season of F1 (with all and Qualifying sessions) because is not only finally becoming exiting again, but because the excellent BBC coverage, and now the come up with this stupidity.

Alright accountant and analysts, I see you want ratings... cool.

congrats_dont_fuck_it_up_card-p137554139495374011qi0i_400.jpg

Last edited:

I was just going to post that.

It is time that the commercial/broadcasting side of F1 is shaken up and redone with better sharing of content online etc in order to get more people into it, but this can only be done when Bernie and CVC are gone and someone else takes over.

I don't see the audience growing. No one I know would want to watch the highlights very much or a full rerun of the race on the BBC when by that point you will know who has already won it and knowing that takes the excitement away. Lets just hope the 10 races they broadcast live aren't rubbish just because they have essentially given up on one of their most popular shows/sporting events.

Also is it not time that one of the other channels got to show Wimbledon/the Olympics rather than the BBC dropping everything else just for them...?

Also is it not time that one of the other channels got to show Wimbledon/the Olympics rather than the BBC dropping everything else just for them...?

There are some events that are required to be shown on free-to-air television. These are the Olympics, the World Cup (which is shared with ITV), the FA Cup, the Grand National, Six Nations and Wimbledon. The BBC are required to show all of these events. Other events like F1, the US Superbowl, MotoGP are all contracts that are held with their respective owners.

Also i'm really surprised by some of the comments mostly laying the blame on the BBC, like Sky is coming out of this with clean hands and a clear conscience.

There are some events that are required to be shown on free-to-air television. These are the Olympics, the World Cup (which is shared with ITV), the FA Cup, the Grand National, Six Nations and Wimbledon. The BBC are required to show all of these events. Other events like F1, the US Superbowl, MotoGP are all contracts that are held with their respective owners.

I know they are not required to show the likes of F1 because of commercial rights but for the others (Wimbledon and the Olympics) I was sort of eluding that one of the other free to air channels could take up broadcasting them, or at the very least, do as you said they do with the World Cup, and share them.

I'll simply be amazed if Bernie and the teams will simply turn a blind eye to all the anger and negativity about this news not just on here, but on many many other websites as well. If they do, well, they're all going to get one hell of a nasty surprise next year when the viewing figures are lousy. What f*cking planet is Ecclestone from when he thinks that this will increase viewing figures? You only need to look at the online reaction to see it won't and he's made a catastrophic error with this.

I would't be surprised at number of many winning-without-a-life people that complained to the BBC about the money spent on how much of a good time Eddie Jordan is having by travelling around the world with his mates.

Edit: To an extent that showing the high profile luxury, fun and glamour given the downturn for some people, has turned into a complete shitstorm for the BBC. Which instead of helping F1, it now totally backfired and now they need to go back serious and sell it as a real sport and not a high-speed circus as sensible people become to see it.

It sad, because for me watching it on BBC was everything.

Last edited:
Most licence payers wanted rid of it all, we need to count ourselves lucky it's not all Sky.

and by contrast I want all the other shit, which makes up about 90% of what the beeb show, shutting down. Its swings and roundabouts, the beeb is there to serve all, not just the few. If they're gonna keep the acres of crap they put out then they can sure as hell keep things like F1 and Top Gear to appease those of us who like motor cars.

granted shit shows like heir hunters and traffic cops costs fuck all to make.

also one look at Sky's NASCAR/Indy Car/CART coverage just makes you wanna puke.... its f**king awful with a capital F**KING!

Last edited:
I feel for you guys man. For me it means losing the excellent commentary and when ES(hit)PN Starsports have the stupid advert break i switch over to the stream for catching up with the action. I have to subscribe just to watch F1 in any case, and streams while viable, have the little things(mainly buffering) that piss me off. Also need my fix of football anyway. :lol:

I would't be surprised at number of many winning-without-a-life people that complained to the BBC about the money spent on how much of a good time Eddie Jordan is having by travelling around the world with his mates.

I am sure that's true, the BBC probably get people whining about all sorts of crap like that.

Still, bright side, half of the races is better than none. Before, ITV's coverage was annoying and I gave up watching.

So, British GP and Monaco, plus the final GP of the season plus others up to the half.

Is there a FB objection Poll about this? Maybe we should have a Final Gear Poll to register a protest.

:smile:

t won't make much difference but the beeb could also cut some the simply silly money salaries some people get at the bbc. Its a public service not a personal enrichment scheme for those at the top. Its sad that throughout all the cuts the government have tried to impose in this country, the selfish twunts in the civil and public service have decided that cutting things that matter, that people will miss, is a good idea... instead of cutting out the dead wood in the back office, the inflated salaries with dubious pay rises and wasteful spending on stuff you just don't need.

The only thing left to watch properly next year will be TG and the odd Brian Cox science fest. Thats it, and once those are gone there will be no point in me paying for a TV license and then I can fuck off to Australia safe in the mind that I won't be missing the BBC. I mean if I left now, Id be gutted to be giving up the beeb... but in a few years I reckon there'll be nowt worth paying for on it anymore.

The only thing left to watch properly next year will be TG and the odd Brian Cox science fest. Thats it, and once those are gone there will be no point in me paying for a TV license and then I can fuck off to Australia safe in the mind that I won't be missing the BBC. I mean if I left now, Id be gutted to be giving up the beeb... but in a few years I reckon there'll be nowt worth paying for on it anymore.

I'm moving to the UK this autumn and one of the things I was really looking forward to, was the excellent F1 coverage.

RAGE.

I am sure that's true, the BBC probably get people whining about all sorts of crap like that.

Still, bright side, half of the races is better than none. Before, ITV's coverage was annoying and I gave up watching.

So, British GP and Monaco, plus the final GP of the season plus others up to the half.

Is there a FB objection Poll about this? Maybe we should have a Final Gear Poll to register a protest.

:smile:

There's a number of FB groups that have been set up, but I think this one is the biggest.

http://www.facebook.com/f1fansagainstnewtvdeal

There's also a petition right here. http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/keepf1onthebbc

Last edited:
Opened browser, went to the site, filed my complain, Goal 1 Million.... Better than expected....

So far: 10,095 signatures

9125756.jpg
ffffuuuu.jpg

Last edited:
I'll simply be amazed if Bernie and the teams will simply turn a blind eye to all the anger and negativity about this news not just on here, but on many many other websites as well. If they do, well, they're all going to get one hell of a nasty surprise next year when the viewing figures are lousy. What f*cking planet is Ecclestone from when he thinks that this will increase viewing figures? You only need to look at the online reaction to see it won't and he's made a catastrophic error with this.
You don't understand mate: it was by no means Bernie's call. The BBC made the announcement as they couldn't afford F1 anymore. Not a full length live season anyway. Bernie actually tried to save the BBC and that's why he gave them half the races live + the right to show highlights or even full race re-runs. I think it's a good compromise bearing in mind that there is no way to keep the BBC broadcasting all the season live, IMO it was the only solution. He couldn't give them cheaper rights because then the teams wouldn't agree with that ever.

You don't understand mate: it was by no means Bernie's call. The BBC made the announcement as they couldn't afford F1 anymore. Not a full length live season anyway. Bernie actually tried to save the BBC and that's why he gave them half the races live + the right to show highlights or even full race re-runs. I think it's a good compromise bearing in mind that there is no way to keep the BBC broadcasting all the season live, IMO it was the only solution. He couldn't give them cheaper rights because then the teams wouldn't agree with that ever.

I was fantastic while it lasted! I just wished it would have lasted more... I hesitated. I wast unsure. Now I definitely have a reason to keep all season SatRips on my hard drive because it will never be the same.
BBC F1 R.I.P.:cry:

Last edited:

Agreed. Half the races on the BBC with highlights is infinitely better than no BBC. It isn't in the team's interests to slash the fee and certainly not in the interests of CVC who Bernie is legally obliged to get the best possible deal for. The real question is whether the extra revenue the teams will get from the TV makes up for any loss in advertising.

Yes, I know that, but he has the bare face audacity to stand there and say that this deal is good for F1 in the UK? What planet does he actually come from? If that's how he really feels, well, he's going to get one hell of a shock looking at the viewing figures next year, but I bet he won't care either way.