BBC & Sky Will Split F1 Coverage 2012-2018

You know, a lot of fans bash Bernie but actually I think he's a great businessman. He doesn't care what internet forums and fans think (well, he does to an extent but he doesn't let that stand in his way, he just considers their opinions, nothing more), and rightfully so because the man knows what he's doing, he knows what options he has, and he knows the exact details of each business. I'm sure he doesn't like the fact that the BBC can't keep up the fantastic work (he even said so) BUT the sky deal is THE BEST THING which he could do. Even so, he's way to generous with the Beeb exactly because he wants to keep the fans happy. And yeah, if you look at it from that side of things, it is good for F1 in the UK. Fans who can't afford Sky will still watch the re-runs on the BBC (and let's say that number remains the same, or a bit lower) and for the others, this will be a new opportunity.

You know, a lot of fans bash Bernie but actually I think he's a great businessman. He doesn't care what internet forums and fans think (well, he does to an extent but he doesn't let that stand in his way, he just considers their opinions, nothing more), and rightfully so because the man knows what he's doing, he knows what options he has, and he knows the exact details of each business. I'm sure he doesn't like the fact that the BBC can't keep up the fantastic work (he even said so) BUT the sky deal is THE BEST THING which he could do. Even so, he's way to generous with the Beeb exactly because he wants to keep the fans happy. And yeah, if you look at it from that side of things, it is good for F1 in the UK. Fans who can't afford Sky will still watch the re-runs on the BBC (and let's say that number remains the same, or a bit lower) and for the others, this will be a new opportunity.

Nobody will watch the butchered highlights. What's the point in watching something (not even the full race) when you know who is going to win anyway? In this day and age it is basically impossbile (unless you sit in a dark room for the full day) to avoid finding out the results of something if you're watching it later.

I find it ludicrous that those involved in F1 think they know what the fans want, when evidently, they haven't got a flying f*ck. That comment Bernie made how he'd rather BBC show just highlights rather than the full race delayed, and how Collin Kolles thinks highlights are better too because "nobody likes to watch a race at 4am". It's like they are all so up their own arse counting their money that they have this stupid idea that even FANS (maybe the need to look what that word means) of F1 only watch it because they have nothing better to do!

Errm, excuse me?! I've followed F1 for more than a decade. I'm an avid fan. If I want to watch a race at 4am, I should be allowed that choice rather than being forced to watch some butchered highlights that'll never tell the true story of the race!

It is incredibly amusing those involved in FOTA say it is important to listen to the fans and they want to hear what they say, blah di blah, yet when it comes to something like this that gets so much of a negative reaction, they leave us out in the cold and can't care less. Honest to God, the only person who has talked the most bit of sense is Pirelli when they say they have sponsorship concerns about what this new deal will mean. It doesn't take you to understand Formula One at all to see what will happen from the hundreds if not thousands of angry comments that have so far been registered all over the internet. Interest will drop substantially in this country, and F1 will die on its sorry arse, because of one corrupt, greedy, little piece of sh*t. Bernie f*cking Ecclestone.

Good riddance.

As I said earlier, if you want me, I'll be following a form of motorsport that DOES care about its fans, that DOES listen. BTCC.

Last edited:
Nobody will watch the butchered highlights. What's the point in watching something (not even the full race) when you know who is going to win anyway? In this day and age it is basically impossbile (unless you sit in a dark room for the full day) to avoid finding out the results of something if you're watching it later.

Not impossible, but I'll grant you that it is difficult. If I'm listening to the radio and they run through the sports results, they sometimes mention Webber when he does well or they don't bother which in itself is a bit of a spoiler because it means he probably didn't get a very good result.

I, like most dedicated fans think the whole concept is pretty toxic. I don't know how it'll affect me in Australia just yet but it's bad news for the Brits, who make up a large proportion of the viewing population. There's no way in hell I'd pay for Sky simply to watch the F1 and a highlights package is pretty useless too because as you say, they don't capture the whole essence of the race.

Martin Whitmarsh has stated that he believes the BBC will show the full race on a delayed telecast, which would be better I suppose, but it's still a kick in the face for fans. I'm also seeing comments on James Allen's site saying that BBC director Ben Gallop has received over 4000 comments, all of the negative.

I'm not sure just what Ecclestone or CVC are trying to achieve apart from making a quick, short term buck. If majority of the TV public don't take up Sky (no Jake Humphries, the cricket is not a success on Sky, the TV ratings are crap and no-one even bothers to turn up to matches anymore) then F1 will obviously lose a large chunk of it's audience and that weakens sponsorship contracts and the sport's long term value. F1 is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, so I should think the best outcome would be for the whole deal to tank over the next 18 months and some other TV channel, maybe even the BBC, can try to jump in and regain full free-to-air coverage at what will presumably be a very reduced price.

Oh, and fuck Murdoch.

Last edited:
I, like most dedicated fans think the whole concept is pretty toxic. I don't know how it'll affect me in Australia just yet but it's bad news for the Brits, who make up a large proportion of the viewing population. There's no way in hell I'd pay for Sky simply to watch the F1 and a highlights package is pretty useless too because as you say, they don't capture the whole essence of the race.
I was wondering about that as well. I'm guessing things will pretty much stay the same, OneHD always throws to ad breaks at stupid moments anyway, but I don't mind their coverage and at least they show the race live.

How much per month does Sky cost for UK viewers for just the basic package, or the one that will let you watch F1's? 30ish pounds?

The "Sports Pack" is ?19.50 per month but then you ONLY get the Sky Sport channels. If you want all the other regular channels in addition it works out at about ?44.75 per month.

Martin Whitmarsh has stated that he believes the BBC will show the full race on a delayed telecast, which would be better I suppose, but it's still a kick in the face for fans. I'm also seeing comments on James Allen's site saying that BBC director Ben Gallop has received over 4000 comments, all of the negative.

Bernie's said he'd rather BBC show the highlights rather than the full race, like he thinks he knows what is best for the fans. Ha! As if.

Here is the link to mentioned blog. Now has 51 pages of negative comments. Interesting that BBC took it down off their main page since last night. I only found it again today because I'd bookmarked it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sporteditors/2011/07/f1_coverage_to_be_shared_betwe.html

I'm sure it will provide the BBC with much happy reading. NOT!

But there's a lesson in guessing what the license-fee payer wants. The BBC has a funny tradition of always saying "we're doing what we THINK is best for the license fee payers" without ever asking them! Way to alienate 6 million+ F1 viewers, BBC. Way to go.

I don't think despite the complaints there is a hope in hell anything will change though. Shame, if the teams continue to remain silent on this issue and continue to ignore what the fans are saying, then it'll kill interest in F1 in this country. You only have to look at those 51 pages of comments to realise that.

Well cuts that could (and some say should) be made.

1. World Service - it was funded by the government 100% but now the BBC has to fund it. Well sorry why am I paying to provide TV and Radio plus internet services to foreigners? After all I can not watch it and the radio is only available when R4 goes to bed. (In English) Left over from the empire, well we do not have one any more so we should grow up and behave like other European Countries.
2. Radio 3 - Classical Music as played on this station is much worse than its commercial competitor - so that can go
3. Radio 1 - I hate teenagers they all have hoods and asbos anyway
4. BBC3 & 4 no one watches them any way
5. All this Welsh and Gaelic crap - get off most people do not understand it. If you want it ask the Scottish and Welsh Governments to pay for it.
6. Management, if they think it is such a great idea to move the whole of the BBC to Manchester Management to go too - it's not that far away after all
7. Turn the whole service into cheap TV - wall to wall reality TV with the odd quiz show
8. News - too much of that - outsource it to News International, hell outsource all the TV production to India anyway
9. Local TV and radio - close it all, costs too much and sell the real estate.

See I can be in Senior Management.
There you go - I'll take my bonus this year.

Last edited:
Bernie's said he'd rather BBC show the highlights rather than the full race, like he thinks he knows what is best for the fans. Ha! As if.

Here is the link to mentioned blog. Now has 51 pages of negative comments. Interesting that BBC took it down off their main page since last night. I only found it again today because I'd bookmarked it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sporteditors/2011/07/f1_coverage_to_be_shared_betwe.html

I'm sure it will provide the BBC with much happy reading. NOT!

But there's a lesson in guessing what the license-fee payer wants. The BBC has a funny tradition of always saying "we're doing what we THINK is best for the license fee payers" without ever asking them! Way to alienate 6 million+ F1 viewers, BBC. Way to go.

I don't think despite the complaints there is a hope in hell anything will change though. Shame, if the teams continue to remain silent on this issue and continue to ignore what the fans are saying, then it'll kill interest in F1 in this country. You only have to look at those 51 pages of comments to realise that.

You're also making the mistake in thinking that this is all the BBC's fault and not looking at what Sky has done. Sky hasn't just come along and picked up F1 coverage because the BBC said they didn't want it anymore. They've come along. given Bernie, F1 and everyone else a bigger amount of money. Looked at the BBC and said "well, try and beat that" while at the same time Murdoch and Cameron have neutered the BBC's budget and arranged it that the BBC couldn't afford it. The F1 people know this is a tough sell and have tried to salvage something so it looks at least somewhat reasonable.

People shouldn't be blaming the BBC. People should be blaming those who restricted the BBC and what it can afford to provide.

So this means more Speed for me then. Why hello Steve Matchett, how are you doing? And you, David Hobbs?

People shouldn't be blaming the BBC. People should be blaming those who restricted the BBC and what it can afford to provide.

I'm very much entitled to blame the BBC. So they axe one of the most popular programmes they air, yet obscure sh*t like antiques roadshow, badger watch, etc, etc, is allowed to remain? And where, exactly, is the logic in that?

Well cuts that could (and some say should) be made.

Some BBC 4 show that was made for ?8.50 won some awards, so then people were saying why make BBC 4 cuts and not F1 which costs us 4 trillion pounds a week.

I'm very much entitled to blame the BBC. So they axe one of the most popular programmes they air, yet obscure sh*t like antiques roadshow, badger watch, etc, etc, is allowed to remain? And where, exactly, is the logic in that?

Look, I'd rather it stayed on the BBC as well, but that is not going to happen because of costs.

Simple truth is that for 20 races, the BBC has to pay over a ?million per race, plus all the BBC crew costs and travel which is a lot.

Crap shows like "talent contests", "reality shows" and antique stuff cost nothing to make and get big audiences.

The majority of BBC viewers don't watch F1 and moan about the costs of something they hate.

And another thing, they are not axing it completely, there will still be ten live shows and ten other highlights shows.

I think it will be really funny on the days when the BBC live show goes up against SKY live, no one will watch SKY not even their own subscribers, probably.

Martin Brundel made a really funny joke during qualifying yesteday, when discussing which drivers are going to be dropped next season.

MB: " so, DC, which of the drivers do you think are going to be joining us down the Job Centre next year?"

DC: " .. :? .."

:lol:

Antiques Roadshow gets a lot of views? Really?! As much as F1? No chance.

Get rid of some of that rubbish and the costs are saved. Once again. BBC costs ?115m. And who really watches that anyway? And what do they show, other than repeats? There's the iPlayer for that.

I don't think it is at all fair to say the "majority" wanted it gone. 10 year high viewing figures in the UK, 6 million+ viewers this year, all race viewing figures apart from Valencia have been up this year...I wouldn't say the "majority" wanted it gone at all. Once again, BBC seem to be focusing on the MINORITY. One man in a remote village complains that F1's overun into what he wants to watch and "Oh god, we need to get rid of it!"

The way BBC operate is a complete farce. It is so blindingly obvious where they can save money, yet the fail to. They seem so concerned to show they've saving money, but when you look a bit more, it is clear they aren't.

I just find it a joke they can show stupid things like the World Bowls Championship and women's golf, yet the third or second most popular sport in the world (behind football and maybe the Olympics the year they are on), has to be cut back. As I say, where is the logic?

Sure, the BBC needs to save money, but first and foremost they have to cater to what the viewers want! Because if there were no viewers, BBC would fail to survive. Yet once again the BBC fail to listen. What a surprise. Not.

Last edited:
I believe the BBC's mandate is to provide quality programming even when it's not popular. They basically have to give quality even for the niches. But let's be clear; F1 is not a niche. It's the most prestigious sport in the world. The BBC's coverage of it is the highest quality sports coverage there has ever been of any sport by any broadcaster, and it's more popular than ever.

Also on the forum Jake Humpty was talking to fans at the side of the track after the race, one man said; "and we don't want to watch it on sky!". Humpty of course immediately glossed over it as if he had BBC snipers taking aim at him in case he say a word on the subject. My respect for Brundle has been rising as he hasn't been pretending nothing has been announced.

Antiques Roadshow gets a lot of views? Really?! As much as F1? No chance.

Get rid of some of that rubbish and the costs are saved. Once again. BBC costs ?115m. And who really watches that anyway? And what do they show, other than repeats? There's the iPlayer for that.

I don't think it is at all fair to say the "majority" wanted it gone. 10 year high viewing figures in the UK, 6 million+ viewers this year, all race viewing figures apart from Valencia have been up this year...I wouldn't say the "majority" wanted it gone at all. Once again, BBC seem to be focusing on the MINORITY. One man in a remote village complains that F1's overun into what he wants to watch and "Oh god, we need to get rid of it!"

The way BBC operate is a complete farce. It is so blindingly obvious where they can save money, yet the fail to. They seem so concerned to show they've saving money, but when you look a bit more, it is clear they aren't.

I just find it a joke they can show stupid things like the World Bowls Championship and women's golf, yet the third or second most popular sport in the world (behind football and maybe the Olympics the year they are on), has to be cut back. As I say, where is the logic?

Sure, the BBC needs to save money, but first and foremost they have to cater to what the viewers want! Because if there were no viewers, BBC would fail to survive. Yet once again the BBC fail to listen. What a surprise. Not.

Again, you seem to be under the impression that the BBC should be listening to just you and not anyone else and that only your opinion counts. Antiques Roadshow does get a lot of views. Its one of their highest rated shows next to Countryfile on Sunday evenings. I don't understand why they are both popular and both of my parents watch them. You keep saying that you know whats best for the BBC and it should follow your reasoning, yet your ruling out only that which bores you. Not everyone shares your interest in things and the sooner you acknowledge that, the sooner you'll stop blaming the BBC. Its in the BBC charter that it has to cater for everything. Once again, you've not bothered looking at the role Sky has placed in this and once again, you're just blaming the BBC because its going to stop showing the one thing you like.
Also you say the BBC needs to save money, so in your "logic" the BBC should continue paying for something it can no longer afford? where's the logic in that?! You want F1 back, go and get the government to properly fund the BBC again. Until then all you're doing is blaming it for something that was out of its hands.

I believe the BBC's mandate is to provide quality programming even when it's not popular. They basically have to give quality even for the niches. But let's be clear; F1 is not a niche. It's the most prestigious sport in the world. The BBC's coverage of it is the highest quality sports coverage there has ever been of any sport by any broadcaster, and it's more popular than ever.

Also on the forum Jake Humpty was talking to fans at the side of the track after the race, one man said; "and we don't want to watch it on sky!". Humpty of course immediately glossed over it as if he had BBC snipers taking aim at him in case he say a word on the subject. My respect for Brundle has been rising as he hasn't been pretending nothing has been announced.

Brundle is only employed for the F1 thats all he does. Jake Humphrey is employed by the BBC to do various things other than just the F1 coverage. he HAS to follow the line and keep things civil if he wants to keep his job. If he starts ranting and raving, he's going to be shown the door and no one else will pick him up because of what he's said. anything he's thinking he has to keep to himself because he most likely wants to keep his job.

Last edited:
Again, you seem to be under the impression that the BBC should be listening to just you and not anyone else and that only your opinion counts. Antiques Roadshow does get a lot of views. Its one of their highest rated shows next to Countryfile on Sunday evenings. I don't understand why they are both popular and both of my parents watch them. You keep saying that you know whats best for the BBC and it should follow your reasoning, yet your ruling out only that which bores you. Not everyone shares your interest in things and the sooner you acknowledge that, the sooner you'll stop blaming the BBC. Its in the BBC charter that it has to cater for everything. Once again, you've not bothered looking at the role Sky has placed in this and once again, you're just blaming the BBC because its going to stop showing the one thing you like.

Jesus Christ, nowhere was I talking about myself. I'm simply venting my frustration, like hundreds and thousands of other British F1 fans have been doing. 6 million plus people can't be wrong. Sure, Antiques Roadshow may indeed get good ratings, but no way does it get the same viewing figures as Formula One does, hence why it is unbelievable for many, including me.

I wish BBC would stop worrying about quantity, and rather concentrate on quality. That way, money would be saved and the most popular things would remain.

Jesus Christ, nowhere was I talking about myself. I'm simply venting my frustration, like hundreds and thousands of other British F1 fans have been doing. 6 million plus people can't be wrong. Sure, Antiques Roadshow may indeed get good ratings, but no way does it get the same viewing figures as Formula One does, hence why it is unbelievable for many, including me.

I wish BBC would stop worrying about quantity, and rather concentrate on quality. That way, money would be saved and the most popular things would remain.

From the Hammond Heaven people who got the ratings for a episode of Top Gear
Sunday 13th February 2011 Overnights
BBC One
18:00- Antiques Roadshow: 6.08m (25.2%)
19:00- Countryfile: 6.31m (23.6%)

20:00- Lark Rise to Candleford: 6.27m (21.2%)
21:00- The British Academy Film Awards: 5.3m (22.3%)

Sunday 20th February Overnights
BBC One
18:00- Sheila Hancock Brushes Up: the Art of Watercolours: 3.2m (13.6%)
19:00- Countryfile: 6.15m (23%)
20:00- Antiques Roadshow: 6.19m (21.2%)

21:00- South Riding: 6.62m (23.9%)
22:55- Match Of The Day 2: 1.44m (11.3%)
Source

don't believe me? go and have a look at BARB's website with the ratings. you'll see Antiques Roadshow and CountryFile getting 5-6million views a week. Still think it should be cancelled? it would appear quite a few people would disagree with you.

or better yet, lets take a look at the week ending 29th May 2011
6 DOCTOR WHO (SAT 1845) 6.72
7 WATERLOO ROAD (WED 1929) 6.12
8 TEN O'CLOCK NEWS (TUE 2200) 5.74
9 HOLBY CITY (TUE 2002) 5.31
10 TEN O'CLOCK NEWS (MON 2200) 5.30
11 ANTIQUES ROADSHOW (SUN 2000) 5.28
12 COUNTRYFILE (SUN 1900) 5.18
13 FORMULA ONE: THE MONACO GRAND PRIX (SUN 1205) 5.15

Last edited: