Ownership Verified: BCS repeatedly breaks, fixes, and re-breaks his Jeep

why is there a chain in the gearbox???

i've opened a few (VW, honda - which were broken, just to see what's inside them), and never came across a chain...

(and that gearbox looks surprisingly small as well?)

That's not the transmission, that's the... transfer case I believe. It's a part of the 4WD.

Then again I've never ever taken apart a car, so I could be completely wrong.

why is there a chain in the gearbox???

i've opened a few (VW, honda - which were broken, just to see what's inside them), and never came across a chain...

(and that gearbox looks surprisingly small as well?)

Viper's right, this is a 4X4 transfer case. Instead of shifting 4 or 5 gear ratios like a transmission, the transfer case splits power from the transmission to the front and rear differentials. This unit has a low-range setting, which drops the output ratio by a factor of 2.72. It has 2WD (RWD), 4WD Full Time (4WD, open center diff), 4WD Part Time (4WD, locked center diff), and 4LO (Low-range 4WD, locked center diff). Hence, it has shift forks for the different settings but doesn't need all the different ratio-adjustment gears a transmission has.

e5840bc3.jpg

Basically, the top right part in the photo is what bolts up to the transmission. That input shaft that mates to the transmission's output shaft is what I'm swapping out for one of the correct length. The yoke on the top left is the front output shaft, which connects to the front drive shaft. The bottom right part is the rear output shaft and internal slip yoke, which the rear drive shaft slides into and allows axle articulation.

OK, crazy weekend! Awesomeness and carnage!

So, I got the 242 last Saturday and immediately started the teardown. On Wednesday I traded a case of beer for a dead NP249 for the input shaft donor. Finished the IS swap on Wednesday night, and did the final case RTVing on Thursday night. Friday night I got a hand from my dad and swapped the NP242 into the Jeep. Note: Transfer cases are heavy. My jack's lifting surface was too small to effectively lift the TC so I just humped the thing into place myself. By Friday night I had the 242 in, but I was testing the drive settings and popped the shift linkage out.

Saturday was spent fixing the linkage (I installed the linkage bushing incorrectly) and bleeding the brakes in prep for Sunday's wheeling run. That's right, mallcrawling = over.

Today was both awesome and catastrophic!

Met up with the Beyond crew for wheeling in Waiparous, a local OHV park.
21153872.jpg

I was generally near the end of the train, so I didn't get to take many pictures. Some other guys that were in the lead took some but I haven't seen most of them them yet. We hit some great mud pits right off the bat, had some steeeeep loose-rock hill climbs and some water crossings. (Pics not taken by me, obviously.)
7a842c61.jpg

cb3d7805.jpg

We were going to run to the Falls, but we got to a slope that was polished sheet ice and decided that it just wasn't worth the frustration of having to winch back up and stopped for lunch.
3e2bf8c9.jpg

Picked up some nature along the way somehow.
a8c24f66.jpg

I was exiting the frozen creek via a loose-rock embankment, and just as I was getting over the ledge the Jeep suddenly pulled to the right. Immediately the guys behind me started yelling into the radio telling me that my tire had "fallen off." Yeah, it pretty much had.
d65e33bc.jpg

b4c1310f.jpg

So. jacked it up and threw the spare on. Unfortunately, having it spin loose while climbing loose rock tore the shit of of my wheel's lip so I'm not sure it's any good anymore. Fortunately I've got a matching spare wheel, I'll just have to swap the tire over as it tuned out the tire was OK minus a couple minor sidewall nicks.

After that, not knowing any better, I was following the kitted out H3T when he picked the "hard" trail section. No pics, but I found myself stuck in a frozen ice pit with one tire out - on sheet ice. Needless to say I was stuck pretty good as I didn't have enough tire to get up the sheer ledge from the pit. Grabbed my recovery strap and got yanked out by the 4Runner behind me, even though he temporarily got stuck pulling me out, haha. Unfortunately no pics of that particular incident.

So, after all that we finished up and started to head home. I'd been running in 4Part-Time all day so I shifted into 4Full-Time for the gravel road. As soon as I got moving, the Jeep started making a godawful banging and grinding. I stopped and tried 2WD, some thing. Only in 4PT would it not make horrific noises. Drove on 4PT until we got to pavement and tried it again, same thing. Pulled into the ditch with a couple of the other vehicles to take a look at it, and discovered that when in gear with the brake applied, the front driveshaft was still turning. Fuck. Figured I somehow trashed the ring and pinion, so I unbolted the front drive shaft and headed home in 2WD. Here's what my drive sounded like!

[youtube]NS2CgbYffhQ[/youtube]

Wonderful! I got a lot of looks from other drivers/cyclists/pedestrians as I drove home sounding like a giant metal blender full of bolts.

Got it home and did a closer inspection, and what initially appeared to be a split CV boot turned out to be a completely grenaded CV joint. As in, to the point that the joint itself is now in 2 (maybe more) separate pieces and is in no way connected to the axle shaft anymore. However, when the wheel rotates the metal remains of the joint on the wheel side fly around the remains of the axle side and make (guess what!) a pretty horrific clanking noise akin to what I was hearing. Hence, I figure that's my problem there and it was time for a U-joint upgrade anyway! It'll be off to the junkyard to find a late-model XJ with ABS'd 297x shafts.

a7c4384a.jpg

00d676c8.jpg

So, yeah, had a ton of fun and broke a bunch of shit and thus will be heading back to the boneyard again. It's like the circle of life!

Parting shot!
529c606e.jpg

Last edited:
Shit man! Sorry to hear about the broken bits. But such is wheeling.
It always amazing me that a vehicle can sustain such seemingly cripping damage and come out just fine after a few "minor" fixes.

Sounds like you had a good time otherwise, it must've been nice to get the truck dirty finally!

Beat on it until it breaks, then upgrade it!

At least you know you were driving it right :lol:

Damn straight!

Anyway, took a run down to the boneyard a couple days ago and got the 5-297x U-joint shafts from a '98 XJ to replace my CV shafts.

Pulled the ruined CV joint, what was once a 6-part assembly had become 13 pieces, and those were just the parts that were left in the boot. It was missing half the ball bearings and most of the cage unit.

5e964ff1.jpg

dd0f9fc3.jpg

Yeah, kinda broken.

5-297x shaft:
5f1a2ef8.jpg

The XJ I got the shaft from wasn't an ABS-equipped vehicle so I had to swap the tone ring over to the new axle.
86991463.jpg

It's a good thing my neighbors like me, haha.
a8017a1c.jpg

So, the stronger axle shaft is now in on the passenger side, didn't have time to do the driver side so that'll have to wait until the weekend.

Hoorah! Both front shafts are now replaced with the stronger ones. Also, determined that the tire is totally fucked (4 sidewall holes) but it's being covered under warranty. :thumbsup:

Also, determined that the tire is totally fucked (4 sidewall holes) but it's being covered under warranty. :thumbsup:

Do they cover your wheel as well?

Also, OMG I WAS RIGHT ABOUT A CAR THING! :lol:

you have them all over the place? or do you have to install your own in front of your door?

Yep, my dad's CA-spec Mazda 626 had a 110-Volt plug coming out of the grill. When we moved back to Texas, everyone wanted to know if it was an electric car :lol:

Anyway, Berserker's Jeep has given me a case of 4x4itis. Anyone want to donate a 4WD Jeep XJ with a 4.0 I6 and a 5 speed? :D

I would love to go offroading in a 4x4 like that, but I can't stand them on the road and I don't have the knowledge to patch things back together from the junkyard...

Once again, that's a lot of Jeep for $500!