Beater car drivers, what's your breaking point?

4. Call breakdown insurance, tell them to send the car to the garage where you next car is waiting.

Now that's forward planning. :D

I don't class my D1 as a beater and as such have sunk many thousands more than I paid for it in to repairs and modifications. The D2 isn't far behind, but only repairs this time.

I sometimes wonder how close you could get with a come-along and a tape measure.

Not saying I haven't done that before... but frames are a bit more heavy duty than a core support, so not exactly sure how to hold the car in place. I doubt a couple of wheel chocks are gonna work.

boro4.JPG

Suspension mounting points are structural, they're the strongest parts of the car. The back panel of a car is cosmetic.

I sometimes wonder how close you could get with a come-along and a tape measure.

I can attest to this, Pretty damn close. I had a old Mercury Cougar (88) that a "friend" rammed into a Buick and crumpled the front passenger corner of the unibody to the point of messing up the camber. Basically pulled it back out and measured the dims, compared to a parts car I had. If I recall correctly, it drove pretty damn strait up until the headgasket letting go.

In regard to the original topic.... I let you know when I hit that limit 'cause I haven't not fixed anything on my Daily yet (well aside the dented body work due to cows).

I usually got rid of my beaters once winter was over, sort of...
Kep my W202 until late spring because I had my GTI away for two weeks then.
And the Mk2 Golf was very hard to let go... Sat around for over a year I think until I finally sold it. And that was just because the buyer came up to me, didn't even try to sell it at that point...

Meh, when it's just unsafe to drive and I don't have a garage or anywhere I can fix the stuff I do know how to fix.