Best Bond?

Best Bond?

• Total voters
Just out of interest... how many people's vote also happens to be the first version of Bond they ever watched?

Connery was just so cool - nearly 50 years ago the first film and it is still cool. btw AM DB5 yikes - brilliant.

Just out of interest... how many people's vote also happens to be the first version of Bond they ever watched?
Actually I don't know if my first Bond was a Moore or a Connery film. The old Bond movies are a rerun staple in Germany (as they most likely are all over the world) so I probably watched the first half of more than one Bond movie with my parents before bedtime when I was too little to even understand that it's the same character played by different people.
The first two Bond movies I remember watching were The Spy Who Loved Me and Goldfinger. Well, technically, I remember Oddjob and Jaws, not the movies as a whole.

Actually I don't know if my first Bond was a Moore or a Connery film. The old Bond movies are a rerun staple in Germany (as they most likely are all over the world) so I probably watched the first half of more than one Bond movie with my parents before bedtime when I was too little to even understand that it's the same character played by different people.

same here. not a clue, since i was way too little... probably too little to even be watching stuff like that :p

I voted for dalton not only because he was the first bond to play him like the character from the books. But also because the living daylights was the first bond film I saw at the cinema and as such has always been my favourite bond film. It's like how Peter davisons fifth doctor has always been my favourite doctor because he was the doctor I started the show with.

The first Bond films I remember watching are the Moore films. I still like Connery best as Bond, but Craig is a very close 2nd. Brosnan was good, but he did get some crap scripts that played into the campiness of some of the action.

Connery was just smooth. The scripts were good. The action is good along with a little bit of humor mixed in, but not over the top humor like Moore's.

Craig is just a brooding badass Bond that puts him in a more realistic world. No watches that shoot grappling hooks and what not. He seems more human.

It's like how Peter davisons fifth doctor has always been my favourite doctor because he was the doctor I started the show with.
Burn him! Burn him!

Please....... everyone knows that Tom Baker was the best of the pre-relaunch doctors. :p
And him!

Everyone knows that the best Doctor was Jon Pertwee (who in real life was just as irritable as the character he played!)

Not me, I'm quite sure the first Bond movie I've ever watched was one of the Moore films as a rerun sometime in the 80s. And the first one I've seen in a cinema was Goldeneye.

Moore, because he didn't seem to take himself too seriously.

Voted Dalton because he is the most underrated, but in truth, this is my order:

1. Connery -he really defines the character. Suave with a genuine menace beneath the surface
2. Craig -the modern Bond and sort of the reverse of Connery. Brimming with menace but polished on the exterior.
3. Dalton -again, underrated but actually a compelling version of bond to me.

For me, Connery, suave and brutal, followed by Dalton for his accuracy to the books and Craig for the same reasons and Brosnan third, as he was my "first" Bond. Lazenby is fair, but he only ever had one movie, whereas the others had significantly more for us to judge them on. Moore has the humor, but he's just doesn't feel like a Bond.

1. Connery -he really defines the character. Suave with a genuine menace beneath the surface
2. Craig -the modern Bond and sort of the reverse of Connery. Brimming with menace but polished on the exterior.

Funny you should say that. I think of Craig as being the closest to Connery because they are both truly threatening characters. But I can see what you mean.

Fun fact for the Timothy Dalton fans- Dalton was originally asked to be Connery's replacement, starting in On Her Majesty's Secret Service. He turned it down because he was only in his early twenties and thought he was too young for Bond. He was also asked to replace Moore for several of the late-70's movies before he eventually agreed to do The Living Daylights.

Fun fact for the Timothy Dalton fans- Dalton was originally asked to be Connery's replacement, starting in On Her Majesty's Secret Service. He turned it down because he was only in his early twenties and thought he was too young for Bond. He was also asked to replace Moore for several of the late-70's movies before he eventually agreed to do The Living Daylights.
Are you sure about this? I am quite sure they wanted Brosnan to replace Moore back in the 80s but could not get him due to his commitment to Remington Steele.

They first asked Dalton but he was busy filming a movie. They then asked Brosnan, who accepted before being told by NBC that he couldn't do it. Then they screen tested Sam Neill, but didn't like the results. By then Dalton had finished with his other project and was available, so he took the role.

I grew up watching the bond movies on the saturday and sunday early movies. I don't think I have ever seen the Lazenby movie, but I am pretty sure that Connery was the first Bond I seen.

The order for me is:

Dalton- if he had better scripts, he would not be so overlooked.

Craig- second best is second best.

Connery and Bronson are about the same for me so they are a tie.

Moore played it too loose for me.

Not sure where Lazenby fits in.