Best home defense shotgun?

jetsetter

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1997 BMW 528i
I've been thinking about buying a shotgun for home defense I am hoping that knowledgeable members could help me out. Could some of you point out the best models and manufacturers? Perhaps some pros and cons of certain models over others? Thank you for the assistance.

Spas 12. :mrgreen:

But seriously, I'd buy a Remington. Depending on how many shell capacity you're looking for, a tactical version would hold the most rounds. But they can get pricey.

I don't know if they have gun shows in your area, but they are the best place to go for good prices. You just need to know what you're looking at and if it's in good condition.

I assume you are talking about the Model 870? Have any particular version in mind?

This thread is definitely going places.

I assume you are talking about the Model 870? Have any particular version in mind?

Yup. My cousin had a Wingmaster. I thought it was pretty much new, but it was actually 23 years old or something like that. It was a very good shotgun, but that is more of a hunting shotgun with a 4 shell capacity.

The Tactical Express 7-shot version looks pretty cool and is no doubt a high quality product, but I imagine they're pretty expensive.

:rolleyes:

This is the last thing America needs, another gun owner...

But back on topic, get the Spas 12. :D

spas_.jpg

WTF? Can't even imagine ever being in need of one of those..

WTF? Can't even imagine ever being in need of one of those..

To go out and do huge school, shopping mall and other places of mass gathering of people massacres, why else? :rolleyes:

Actually I'd rather have the XM26 Lightweight Shotgun System, pictured here:
800px-XM26_2_highRes.jpg

Sure to pick up that guy who tries to hide behind a classroom door. ;)
:banana::banana: :banana:

/Back on track, if you want to find some shotguns for you to realistically own, try finding out more about shotguns here, and here.
//Don't get a shotgun, or any gun for that matter.

Last edited:
If you are solely using it for home defence then the cheapest reliable one you can find should do. You don't really need a large shell capacity. If you have shot two of them then it seems unlikely that they will keep coming at you.

Get a telescope to shoot them safely whilst they steal your neighbour's DVDs.

I would look into a 20 gauge turkey gun, like from Mossberg. Probably won't kill a person, but will make them plenty miserable.

I don't see why a Deagle or a USP can't do the job (plus they look uber cool with a laser scope).

Get a telescope to shoot them safely whilst they steal your neighbour's DVDs.

Snipers FTW!

Edit: Tranquilizers FTL aparently.

Last edited:
Why is a shotgun prefer as supposed to a semi-automatic pistol?

wouldn't one of these be much better?
800px-M9-pistolet.jpg

me wants a Beretta!

Eww beretta

http://img260.imageshack.**/img260/1500/wonderninemv8.jpg

I don't see why a Deagle or a USP can't do the job (plus they look uber cool with a laser scope), I also don't see why you couldn't just tranquilize them.

Lol someone plays counter-strike...

A deagle isn't really an ideal home defense handgun. It's too big, too heavy, too cumbersome, too loud, and too inaccurate. A usp, however, IS a great home defense handgun, although they are a bit pricey ($900+).

In response to the original poster....get a handgun, NOT a shotgun for home defense. A 3 foot gun is harder to move through hallways and doors than a 6 inch one.