Best Police Car

"it's a ford" is what matters.
and if governments were to buy what's cheapest, the entire US would be decked out in chinese and japanese built cars. BUT as a government to serve the country, they have to purchase their cars from a local company, ie ford. lest the car lobbyists will have a field day in DC. it's more politics than economics.

sgb33f said:
and if governments were to buy what's cheapest, the entire US would be decked out in chinese and japanese built cars. BUT as a government to serve the country, they have to purchase their cars from a local company, ie ford. lest the car lobbyists will have a field day in DC. it's more politics than economics.

I wonder if that is why the Houston public servants, aside from police officers, only drive Toyota Priuses.

Mischief007 said:
Yesterday in London, I saw the Interceptor again. Dark Navy blue Ford Taurus with heavily tinted windows. Blends in too well sometimes.

I see that car once a week..I will snap a shot of it...theres 2 of them...1 blue and 1 black.

optimusprime said:
3Colin said:
Not if you know anything about economics.

Maybe you should learn about what makes up GDP.

Maybe you should learn about how GDP is applied. I suppose that other countires take the money you give them, burn it, and dance around the bonfire?

Crown Vics would, formally, be a detriment to the US GDP. It would be in Canada's GDP but not the GNP, which excludes foreign investment income. =)

Perhaps not just "cheapest", but the best tool for the job. Which is why the Ford is still so popular, since its full-frame chassis can take bumps better.

Ventura6 said:
Prost264 said:
+4983217432 for the Charger

although here they're lowered a bit and dont have that huge ram bar, just that intimidating front end, scares the shit out of you when you're doing twice the speed limit :shock:

I also think it would be a great idea for TopGear, even though no American car would win :roll:

I agree. The Crown Victoria would be clobbered by the 5 Series BMW's of Germany. But so what, thats a luxury car with lights on the roof; the police interceptor is so much more utilitarian.

Ever actually looked up the specs of them? 0-60 time of over 10 seconds. top speed of 120 or 130mph, depending on the final ratio selected. Handling time, not great.

Dodge charger and magnum - both fast, handle better than the crown vic - cops, however hate them the same reason they hate the last model impalla, and the intrepid - there's sod all room for stuff. Charger and magnum are also horrible for installing the police equipment in, and seeing out of - in 2004 the Hummer got better marks than the magnum.

I've been chased by a few, in a few more (not under arrest) and have spec sheets for most of them around the world. (the newest Michigan state police vehicle road test should also be out in the next few weeks). The one cop car thats ever pulled me over for speeding - a Merseyside Traffic police V70t5 outclasses the crown vic in every area, except cost, and an inch or two of legroom here and there. Its already faster then the magnum and charger hemis (iirc 131 and 148mph max, compaired to the limited 155 of the volvo), will actually carry a full load of equipment, and you can see out of it. plus the second row is usable.

Impreztas are fairly common, theres a whole squad of maybe 12, along with an accord type-R and a few others in Manchester, in the stolen vehicle squad (they're unmarkked, but easy to spot if you know what to look for). They, like some of the liveried impretzas, are heavily tuned by prodrive, and can manage speedbumps at ~70mph. Thames Vally also has an undercover M3 doing traffic duty on the M40.

Of course, when it comes to intimidation, nothing beats the sight of one of the modified Disco's looming up fast in your rear view mirror. Well, alomst nothing. I'm working on a prototype of a purpose made one (have been for almost 2 years now) which should be even more intimidating.

Finally, my fav cop car of all time has to be the ST1. British cops liked that V8 bastard so much, they bought something like the last 3 months production from rover just for spare parts, and to keep the ones they had going as long as possible. Was everything a cop car should be - fast, menacing, comfy, spacious, and practical.

sgb33f said:

ACtually, they're pretty damned cheap. Police crown vic interceptor list price - $18k, but they're not bought at list. Car companies bid on them. I''ve heard of PDs getting CVI's for as little as $13-14k/vehicle. A lot use the scoring data from the michigan state police tests to weight the bid pricing to match needs.

Want to know why cruisers are generally american cars? Its because they're generally the only ones that submit to that test.
Michigan state police Vehicle evaluation page

The reason the crown vic works is because its tried and tested...no its not very fast (considering) but no matter how fast your car is you cant out run the radio. But it gets the job done time and time again...

80% of all the cars built at St Thomas Ford Plant are police/taxi now...the Grand Marquis as a luxury car is dead..but as a work car the vic keeps going and going...

Look what the London Met have just added to there fleet.
An LP640!
EA4124C9D7B5D39B989A361A4D464E.jpg

Even beats the old Gallardo and the Esprit S4 they used to have.

Why would you need a Lamborghini in London of all places? Seems a motorbike would be more useful for getting through city traffic.

These sort of machines should be going down tracks in front of all the other race cars, not going on the streets.

( I tell you, some day some yob who's a cop will get a hold of this and take it racing with the boys)

Massachusetts used to use 3 Mustang Cobra R's for State Police highway interceptors and now i just saw a Charger in State Police colors so the mustangs may have been phased out (no back seat). i also know that NYC used to have atleast one mid 90's Vette for highway patrol

Look what the London Met have just added to there fleet.
An LP640!
EA4124C9D7B5D39B989A361A4D464E.jpg

Even beats the old Gallardo and the Esprit S4 they used to have.

It's just a publicity stunt, the met don't actualy own it. Infact they were only allowed to drive it 8 miles. It's lambo UK's press car, they have used that reg plate for a while now on their cars.

The car looks good with the gunmetal rims and the steel grey finish, a regular version of it would look great

Massachusetts used to use 3 Mustang Cobra R's for State Police highway interceptors and now i just saw a Charger in State Police colors so the mustangs may have been phased out (no back seat). i also know that NYC used to have atleast one mid 90's Vette for highway patrol
When was that? I sure as hell haven't seen one before...

Last edited:
Worried you might get rammed?

Don't even try with this beast.

http://img146.imageshack.**/img146/2706/h2police06ws3.jpg

http://img301.imageshack.**/img301/5830/h2police0605cq4.jpg

http://img301.imageshack.**/img301/4562/h2police0603xy7.jpg

:| :| :| :|

a hummer isn't that strong at all

crash your smart into one, and you'll drive home, the hummer will be ready for scrape

If I were being chased by that Hummer, I'd just drive my Disco off the road.:cool:

Haha can't catch me now Mr. Hummer sheriff guy!:tease:

Take a closer look to this Hummer - it's tuned by Geiger Car's from Munich with the 7-litre-engine + Kompressor ! :blink:
This thing is quite fast ! ;) Not even really for offroad-driving, but he will be on the other side, before you :)