Best unbustable car?

Eunos_Cosmo

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'84 Mazda RX7, '12 Mazda 2, '99 Porsche Boxster
I've been thinkin about something rather...titanic really, this summer for a parts hauler/invincible/post-doomsday kinda car. So here are some "cars" I've been thinking of.

Jeep Cherokee (straight six, 5 speed)
Ford F250 (V10 or 460 V8, 5 speed. Don't want a diesel)
Crown Vic p71 (4.6, auto obviously)

I would like something post 1990. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
I'd go with the XJ. I don't think the Crown Vic would be a good parts car unless you hook up a trailer and suffer with the annoyances associated with that.

Look at an F150 with the 4.9 I6 with a 5 speed. Those are also unbreakable. Other than that, a cherokee is pretty solid.

Also a Chevy 1500 from the mid 80s with a 350 and a 4 speed is always a solid choice.

Get a F-150 or F-250 with a straight six, 1990-1996. I never was a Ford man, but they can build a helluva truck.

Watching to gather ideas for a trailer vehicle to tote my cars around.

I'll echo the Ford I6 sentiments, though, as that's pretty much what everyone I know uses as a tow vehicle.

Anybody know about the reliability of the Triton V10s? I know they are used by damn near every kind of company that exists (Uhaul, power companies, government etc) so I imagine they are pretty stout.

Thanks for the tip on the straight six fords.

Do the Toyota Tacoma/Hilux trucks only have the 22r?

I also want the car to be somewhat fun. Not necessarily fast, but with gobs of torque and fun to hammer through the gears. So that's why I'm thinkin the big V10 F250 would be awesome.

Last edited:
Anybody know about the reliability of the Triton V10s? I know they are used by damn near every kind of company that exists (Uhaul, power companies, government etc) so I imagine they are pretty stout.

Thanks for the tip on the straight six fords.

Triton V10's tend to liberate their rods from their cast iron cage.
Do the Toyota Tacoma/Hilux trucks only have the 22r?
The 20r in the older ones.

Honestly an 80's RWD celica is a hell of a piece of equipment to kill. All the strengths of a toyota pick-up but in a RWD coupe body.

You forgot Toyota Hilux.. (or w/e it is called there :p)

We had a 1984 hilux, sold it back in 2004. With over 1,000,000 Kilometers..combined milage of two different engines..

WTF did you do to it to need a 2nd engine? I've seen SEVERAL of these things clock over a million miles and counting while on the original engine.

Last edited:
Yeah, those old Toyotas are built to last, but you don't want to overheat a 22r(e). From what I was told, if you run them hot, things start to warp and it'll never run right again. But other then that, they take abuse very well. Only other problem being that Toyota put ground up rust in the paint, so finding one that is cancer free can be difficult. The beauty of desert cars.

1990-1999-cadillac-10.jpg

I've always had a thing for Fleetwood Broughams.They really are immense and probably a good long distance traveller as well.

Also a Chevy 1500 from the mid 80s with a 350 and a 4 speed is always a solid choice.
What he said. I smashed my old 84 Chevy into the back of a Ford Ranger at about 40, and the only thing that was damaged was my neck and bumper... His truck, on the other hand, was all kinds of broken. Frame cracked/bent, one tire off the ground... Yea...

Yeah, those old Toyotas are built to last, but you don't want to overheat a 22r(e). From what I was told, if you run them hot, things start to warp and it'll never run right again. But other then that, they take abuse very well. Only other problem being that Toyota put ground up rust in the paint, so finding one that is cancer free can be difficult. The beauty of desert cars.

My brother warped the ever living fuck out of the head on a 22r celica. Even with it pissing coolant out the side it went 45 minutes in LA traffic to get him home.

Any bi-metal engine is going to have a problem like that though.

If it weren't for your post-1990 requirement, I'd recommend a '73 to '88 GM fullsize truck too. You can fix anything with a 9/16" wrench and duct tape, they're tough as hell and parts are everywhere. It was basically the same truck for decades after all, and of course parts interchange across the whole GM line-up. A carbed, manual-everything 4x4 C20 would be my invincible ride of choice.

Like everyone else said, of the '90s domestic pickups a 4x4 Ford with the I6 is probably your best bet. I've also seen some Cummins-equipped Dodges with 4-500k and going strong. In any case, I'd avoid '90s GM 4x4s because of their weak IFS (on the 4x4s).

As for cars, it has to be the Crown Vic P71. No debate necessary there. :D

If it weren't for your post-1990 requirement, I'd recommend a '73 to '88 GM fullsize truck too. You can fix anything with a 9/16" wrench and duct tape, they're tough as hell and parts are everywhere. It was basically the same truck for decades after all, and of course parts interchange across the whole GM line-up. A carbed, manual-everything 4x4 C20 would be my invincible ride of choice.

x1000

1990-1999-cadillac-10.jpg

I've always had a thing for Fleetwood Broughams.They really are immense and probably a good long distance traveller as well.

Very good car, but i assure you the LT1 is very much kill-able :)

If I might add to the Chevy 1500, a guy I know had one, with a 4 speed manual and the 350, but he had put new heads, a cam, a new intake, and headers/exaust. This was his DD and it was one mean truck. Sounded like a beast and it was really fast. He worked in construction, so he was always hauling around stuff, but it was still super fun to drive.

Toyota trucks had an optional V6, but it was a steaming pile of crap. The Tacoma (post-95 truck) does not have the R-series engine and is not as strong or unkillable. If you want an indestructable small Toyota pickup, you want a 22R in it. Yes, including the 4Runners.

Nissan's Hardbody trucks are about as unkillable as the Toyota Hilux; the Z24 and later KA24 engines are just as impossible to kill. The VG30E is just as durable as those engines, but you have to change the timing belt every 60 or 105K (depending on year model), which drops it down a notch (the others use chain drive). If you want an SUV, the 95-and-down Pathfinder (like mine) is built off the truck chassis and mounts the same VG30 engines. It also drives a hell of a lot better than the XJ Cherokee and is almost as capable offroad out of the box.

Someone else has already mentioned the RWD Celica - I'll second that recommendation. Another option would be the Nissan 240SX, for the same reasons; truck engine in a coupe body.

Get a Volvo :p
As long as you change the timing belt and always have fresh fluids you will be fine :)

WTF did you do to it to need a 2nd engine? I've seen SEVERAL of these things clock over a million miles and counting while on the original engine.

we just changed the engine for kicks, it was originally a 2.4 diesel, it was time for a overhaul, we put in the 3000cc diesel turbo engine.. 1KZ something I believe..