Better Drive or Better Looks?

rickhamilton620

has a fetish for terrible cars
Car(s)
2023 Mazda CX-5 Premium
You're looking at getting a new (brand new or new to you, whatever...) car.

It's down to two choices, Option A that you know drives maybe 30 percent better than Option B, but you prefer the styling/usability of Option B slightly more than A.

Realistically, you could live with either option, but which would you choose?

Option A. Because I did exactly that. I bought a newer R/T that had the 8spd auto because it was light years better than the older 5spd. In the past I chose option B though.

Hang on, Rick. The title suggests personality versus looks, but then in the text you throw "usability" in as part of the looks argument.

Ignoring usability/practicality, between two similarly priced, similarly practical (or lack thereof) vehicles), I'd take option A every single damn time. I like a pretty car as much as anyone (I really have to stop licking the SRT), but I spend 95% of my time in the car driving, whilst others look at the car's exterior, and I don't spend my hard-earned "dolla dollar bills, y'all!" for the enjoyment of others at the expense of my own.

Having said that, she can't be all personality with no looks, either. :lol:

Last edited:
Looks. Too many car these days is desperately overwrought no matter how well it drives.

I would choose driving experience over looks every time. As long as the interior isn't dreadful (after all that's the part I end up looking at the most) then I am happy.

Hang on, Rick. The title suggests personality versus looks, but then in the text you throw "usability" in as part of the looks argument.

Ignoring usability/practicality, between two similarly priced, similarly practical (or lack thereof) vehicles), I'd take option A every single damn time. I like a pretty car as much as anyone (I really have to stop licking the SRT), but I spend 95% of my time in the car driving, whilst others look at the car's exterior, and I don't spend my hard-earned "dolla dollar bills, y'all!" for the enjoyment of others at the expense of my own.

Having said that, she can't be all personality with no looks, either. :lol:

Holy necro post batman. :p

I did kind of conflate things, true.