News: Bills would require license plate for all [bicycles], annual registration

Surely we need to be encouraging people to cycle, and stuff like this will just make it difficult for people, especially those who might just want to spontaniously dust off the old penny farthing every now and then.

Yeah you get a couple of dicks on bikes but they don't generally hold you up for long and i'd rather have to overtake a load of kids on bikes than greenies in their damn G-wizzes and Priuses

I haven't cycled for ages but I tend to just go on the pavement most of the time as it's a death trap on the road. Would rather crash into a pedestrian on the pavement than get hit by a twat in an X5

And if you're riding on the sidewalk, you're treated as a pedestrian - no license/registration/whatever required. Though I doubt the pedestrian you hit would have the same opinion.

Surely we need to be encouraging people to cycle, and stuff like this will just make it difficult for people, especially those who might just want to spontaniously dust off the old penny farthing every now and then.
Why should we encourage people to cycle? For health reasons we should encourage people to walk (less bicycle seat induced infertility and numbness of private parts) and for environmental reasons we should encourage people to take mass transit.
And if you're riding on the sidewalk, you're treated as a pedestrian - no license/registration/whatever required. Though I doubt the pedestrian you hit would have the same opinion.
Not allowed unless you are a kid.