Ownership Verified: Blind_Io's Garage

Xterras look strange without the rack.

Of course the weather decides I need thunder storms when I have two dozen holes in my roof...

I realized I have not updated this thread in a while. Seems like as good a time as any to welcome a new steed to the stable

Operation Oakland Motorcycle Rescue II: The Revengening.

This past weekend I flew to Oakland to pick up a "beater" bike from a friend of a friend. This 2011 Multistrada S Sport has had all the bags added and "racing pedigree" (meaning a previous owner crashed it in The Corkscrew at Laguna Seca).

This weekend she made it home and is tucked in on the hoist, ready for the work to begin.

I started by scraping all the skooge and crud off the chain to reveal how much neglect this bike has suffered.

EDIT: After work today I will get some more photos of the crash damage on the right side, drop damage on the left side, and the general state of disrepair. I will also post the requisite verification of ownership.

Despite how dirty the bike is, the Multistrada is a real performer. I learned this the hard way, coming from a very gentle and progressive V4 power delivery on the ST1300 (not to mention the ST's significant weight). I rode the Multi from Oakland to Redwood City to load it on the truck; pulling onto the first on-ramp I rolled on the throttle as I normally did - before I knew it, I had the headlight pointed about 40 degrees in the air.

Once I get her back into good form, new body work, painted, and generally rehabilitated, I think that I'm going to have a load of fun with this bike.

Last edited:
I realized I have not updated this thread in a while. Seems like as good a time as any to welcome a new steed to the stable

Operation Oakland Motorcycle Rescue II: The Revengening.

View attachment 3556539

This past weekend I flew to Oakland to pick up a "beater" bike from a friend of a friend. This 2011 Multistrada S Sport has had all the bags added and "racing pedigree" (meaning a previous owner crashed it in The Corkscrew at Laguna Seca).

This weekend she made it home and is tucked in on the hoist, ready for the work to begin.

View attachment 3556540

I started by scraping all the skooge and crud off the chain to reveal how much neglect this bike has suffered.
View attachment 3556541
That's bordering on criminal. Glad you saved it.

I rode the Multi from Oakland to Redwood City to load it on the truck; pulling onto the first on-ramp I rolled on the throttle as I normally did - before I knew it, I had the headlight pointed about 40 degrees in the air.

Glad you got the wheelie test out the way :D

Any mods to it? By the way, if you want an SW Motech centerstand, let me know. My cat delete mid-pipe doesn’t work with it and it’s just been sitting in a box.

I would love that center-stand, adding one is near the top of my priority list!

Mods include a carbon Termi slip-on, standard and lowered seat, and the full set of bags (were not included in the S Sport model). Aside from that, it's stock as far as I can tell. It only has 7,600 miles on it.

Initial list of needs:
  1. Center Stand
  2. Chain
  3. Oil Change
  4. Clutch Fluid
  5. Fancy Rear Brake Fluid
  6. New battery in the transponder key
  7. Body work
    1. Right tank (gouged)
    2. Left tank (gouged)
    3. Center tank (cracked)
    4. Right side (gouged)
    5. Right rear side (gouged)
    6. Top case painted panel (missing)
  8. Exhaust heat shield (bent, gouged)
  9. Grips (worn)
  10. Remove and repaint/anodize handle bar (rust spots from previously installed accessories)
  11. Probably tires, I need to check the date of manufacture.
Wants-to-have and additions:
  • Heated grips
  • Aftermarket suspension control module
  • Upgraded springs
  • Low profile windscreen (possibly a carbon one off a Pikes Peak, or similar)
  • Repaint
  • Power commander

Wait wait wait?
Right left and center TANK?
Why does it have three?

Crashed on the right side. Dropped on the left side, and the left-side drop pressed the left side panel into the center panel and cracked it.

Fortunately, they’re plastic shells that surround the actual tank (rubber bladder). So they’re “relatively cheap” to replace. Also, IIRC Cal Sci makes a nice tinted shorty wind shield.
Oh. That makes more sense. I was thinking of a traditional fuel tank.

Sorry for the delay, I was down for three days with some wicked food poisoning. Here are some detail shots of the Ducati's damage.

Right side tank and side panel are toast.
Z8o2VsT.jpg

tDdMUOK.jpg

Right side rear fairing is done.
3qgT6BH.jpg

Clutch cover is pretty scraped, but a clutch slider will cover it or I can source a used cover.
wRvfE4A.jpg

The exhaust heat shield will need to be replaced.
dwKeHt5.jpg

This is going to be a hard one, apparently Ducati does not sell these panels separately. You can see that one of the painted panels on the topcase is missing.
G1R4EDA.jpg

The previous owner dropped the bike on the left side, causing this damage and cracking the plastic on the center tank panel (can't really see it in photos, so I didn't grab one).
elMQWO8.jpg

Tomorrow all the bikes will get washed and be ready to put away for the winter. I will grab a verification photo and try to get some better shots outside the glare of the garage work lights.

Rubbersideup.com is a bike breaking business, they part out crashed bikes and are another good source for used parts.

Getting the Ducati taken apart and trying to decide where I want to go with the build. The first set of replacement fairings have arrived from Canada, they are a little worn, but that should not be a problem - also I managed to get the full set of 3 for $300 with tax and shipping, they are usually $150-$180 each before shipping. @Der Stig sold me a nearly new SW Motech center stand, meaning the belly pan is getting modified so the center stand doesn't have to come off for every oil change.

The upgraded Brembo M50 calipers arrived sooner than expected. Next is to deal with some seized fasteners with stripped heads. I'm also going to pull all the shiny aluminum and get it powdercoated black or dark gray. Bike color is still TBD, but I will probably look at a wrap rather than paint (I've sent an inquiry to a local shop I've worked with for tint).

Attachments

• IMG_20191207_174758783.jpg
    IMG_20191207_174758783.jpg
    663.6 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20191208_140207_319.jpg
    IMG_20191208_140207_319.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20191210_220239_168.jpg
    IMG_20191210_220239_168.jpg
    999.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20191214_193458_480.jpg
    IMG_20191214_193458_480.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 121
I got all the body work in for an estimate on a wrap. I found this under the cowl
IMG_20200114_180308_596.jpg

I've never seen a bike so neglected it grew mold and mildew.

Take this opportunity to install the factory heated grips if it doesn't have them already. They're expensive, but integrate nicely. I can also recommend putting a GPS dock on. There's plugs in the loom that are ready to go with connectors for both on the left side of the bike.

What a pity