BMW 328 convertible or 128 convertible

Andrew911tt

Car(s)
2008 MazdaSpeed3 GT
I need some quick reposes what do you guys think. My dad is looking at the 328 convertible for $48,000. The 128 is the same engine and very very close in size but cost only $38,000

The 128 convertible top is a fabric top instead of a hard top like the 328. But because of the hard top in the 328 the 128 has more trunk room. He would like to get a 4 seater for that rare occasion but it will be a pretty rare occasion to use the back sets

is a hard top worth $10,000

Last edited:
I personally would go for the 1 series, lighter and more nimble.

In San Diego a hard top properly isn't needed, I'd check reviews of the cars first, the 125i Conv was reviewed in TG Mag last month and they have it 11/20 they said "Hardly the Ultimate Driving Machine. But it's well-made and better-looking that a 1-series hatch, if that's saying anything" they gave the 325i 11/20 too tho

I'd stay away from the convertibles. They are a big weak point of BMW vehicles and aren't anywhere near as good as their hard-top counterparts.

You can get a 330i for the same money, which means a sizable increase in performance. 130i is a very fun car, but far less usable in everyday life, due to the restrictive size.

If your father does want a convertible and doesn't really require more than 2 seats, a Z4 or other equivalent would be far more suitable.

Proper 4-seater convertibles are as a rule very compromised machines, and should, in my humble opinion, be avoided by anyone who cares about cars to a higher degree.

If one does not, then get whatever you think is prettier, because it won't really make a difference in the first place.

/ramble

Guessing there aren't too many 335i's yet available second hand or are too expensive :(

The 1 series in the US is way too expensive.

I'd have to chose the 1 series most likely, $50k for a car with 230hp is quite a bit just to get a hard top convertible and RWD.

In San Diego a hard top properly isn't needed

It isn't, but aren't hard tops (even hard top convertibles) much quieter than their soft-top brethren?

and it's such good value in other parts of the world were it's nearly double the price

But isn't everything else nearly double the price as well?

$38k for a car the size of a VW golf is expensive compared to the competition (not that much of the competition offers a drop top).

328i. Looks better, has much more room, and handles well enough (Lets face it, your not going to be cornering like Schumacher most of the time).

Sadly i don't care for the current 3 series. 1 Series for sure!

I would say ditch both cars.

Get a 330 coupe or 130 instead. BMW/Merc/Audi cant make any good looking Cabriolets.

If he really insists on having a convertible, then i'd say go for the soft top. Looks miles better than the hardtop. The hardtop reveals those ugly gaps between the panels, I prefer the fabric soft top.

Personally.. i think the 1 series drives better than the 3 series, but its just my personal opinion, as the 1 series isnt much lighter than the 3ers.

Last edited:
Ok the result is:

The 128 (and the 135 for that matter) looks way different in person then in the pictures. In the pictures it looks very similar to the 3 series. In reality the 3 series looks like an olympic athlete tall and handsome and the 1 series looks like its short and squat little brother. Even the inside feels much smaller even though it's wheelbase is only like an inch shorter. Also about the 335; It is too expensive. How could someone pay $58,000 for a 3 series that does not have an "M" on it.

the crazy thing that happened was that next door was a lexus dealership and they had a 2005 SC430 in white for $45,900. My dads wife has always loved that car so they took it for a test drive and loved it a lot.

Now they are not sure. They went ready to put in an order for the 1 or 3 series but now are much confused about the 328 and the SC430.

What it really comes down to is what matters more for them:

luxury(SC430) or sportiness(328)

$46 grand for a pre-owned car is kind of steep. If he can afford $46K for a car, then why not buy brand new? And besides you can spec up the 328 to be really comfy and luxurious.

But 128/328 will be slower than the SC430, dunno if your dad can live with that.

If they really want a four seat convertible there is only one option. It isn't sporty, it won't be loaded with gadgets, but there is nothing else even remotely as beautiful in the four seat convertible niche. And if it is good enough for JFK to have been shot in, it is good enough for them to cruise around town in.

Early 60s Lincoln Continental
61_lincoln_convertible.jpg

3,858 lbs - Weight of the BMW 328i
3,571 lbs - Weight of the BMW 128i
----------
287 lbs - Weight difference

The 1 series is lighter than the 3 series, but not by much. The difference is even less significant if you go for the 135i/335i. Considering the difference in interior space between the two, the 3 series coupe is more livable and looks a lot better.

3,858 lbs - Weight of the BMW 328i
3,571 lbs - Weight of the BMW 128i
----------
287 lbs - Weight difference

The 1 series is lighter than the 3 series, but not by much. The difference is even less significant if you go for the 135i/335i. Considering the difference in interior space between the two, the 3 series coupe is more livable and looks a lot better.

Where did you get those weights from. BMW's website says 3252 lbs for the 128i and 3340 lbs for the 328i.

Which upon reflection isn't that bad.

I'd go for the BMW over the Lexus. Although he should check out the Audi A4 convertible which is apparently alot roomier! The 3.2 litre Quattro is $47,900! :D

Were you looking at the coupe or convertible?
:

Oops, I fail. Yea just get a Z, I'm sure you can fit at least one person in the trunk.