News: BMW offers M5 manual in USA

GT - R

FinalGear Forza 3 Time Attack Winner
Car(s)
Skyline GTR (Someday)
Evo.co.uk said:
As with the previous M5, BMW will offer the new F10 M5 with a six-speed manual gearbox in the USA.

F10M_manual_2.jpg

With plans to launch the F10 M5 in the USA this summer, BMW has confirmed that it will offer the 552bhp super saloon with a manual gearbox, as well as the standard seven-speed dual-clutch automatic. This was also offered as an option on the previous M5 (E60), but never came to Europe.

This will be a no-cost option for anyone buying the M5, but yet again BMW has no plans to offer this option outside of the USA.

In - http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/277003/bmw_offers_m5_manual_in_usa.html

Last edited:
This decision makes no sense, especially to roll it out in USA where hardly anyone knows how to drive a manual anyway. The DSG is faster and much better suited to the car...

Last edited:
This decision makes no sense, especially to roll it out in USA where hardly anyone knows how to drive a manual anyway. The DSG is faster and much better suited to the car...

The thing about the USA is, people who do know how to drive one usually want one specifically. And are usually enthusiasts. I think this is a case of BMW listening to their buyers. So while manuals may only be 50-10% of the market, that 5-10% is not going away any time soon.

The thing about the USA is, people who do know how to drive one usually want one specifically. And are usually enthusiasts. I think this is a case of BMW listening to their buyers. So while manuals may only be 50-10% of the market, that 5-10% is not going away any time soon.

Exactly. The only reason BMW sells a manual is to cater to the U.S. demand for it.

@thevictor & aratoga: I replied to your responses in the other thread.

This decision makes no sense, especially to roll it out in USA where hardly anyone knows how to drive a manual anyway.
Virtually everyone who would want an M5....
The DSG is faster and much better suited to the car...
And that would matter if this was a race car driven on a track...

They put a manual in the previous M5 as well to satisfy the US market.

But why don't they sell it as an option in Europe especially Germany??? I don't get it.

They put a manual in the previous M5 as well to satisfy the US market.
Exactly. When the E60 M5 came out American buyers were furious that there was no manual option. BMW built one specifically to meet the demand in the states. If Europeans want a stick-shift they should just complain more :D

Exactly. When the E60 M5 came out American buyers were furious that there was no manual option. BMW built one specifically to meet the demand in the states. If Europeans want a stick-shift they should just complain more :D
Europeans don't have easy access to firearms :p

Or if someone was going to... I don't know... use it every day?
So to use a car every day it needs to have a dual clutch, insanely fast shifting gearbox that is perfectly mated to the engine? I mean its not like millions of people drive regular manuals or slow shifting torque converted automatics on daily basis... Oh wait.

To be fair, dual clutch boxes tend to give better fuel efficiency in addition to better performance, not to mention the ease and convenience of not having to screw around with a clutch and stick. It's easily the best of both worlds, although it will cost a bit more than a traditional slush box.

im pretty sure if you can afford the new M5 you wont care about a few less mpg and fuel costs. Personally I don't mind "screwing around with the clutch and stick" its more fun to drive imo. people who want to buy the manual version are the enthusiasts( as was mentioned earlier). the people buying one of these to show off around town wont get the manual version

Last edited:
But if all you really care about is the driving experience, being involved with the car, man and machine, then who is going to buy a giant luxo-barge? Not very many people. In the end performance is king and there is no denying the advantage of a dual clutch transmission. You can have fun shifting your own gears, so long as you don't mind owning an inferior machine and getting your ass handed to you everywhere you go. But don't get me wrong, I like shifting my own gears, both my vehicles are manuals, but if I was going to buy a top range BMW performance machine and was more interested in the driving experience and not performance, I would get a 1M before an M5 with a stick.

Last edited:
The type of person who would want a fun experience and a giant luxo-barge would be someone who wants to show how much disposable income he has to the neighbors but also wants to have some fun in the car to and from work and on the weekends that's why they would get the M5 over the much more fun 1M. To car people the 1M is a fantastic machine to everyone else its just for someone who couldn't afford the M3 or M5.

You're right there is no denying that the dual clutch is better but not everyone really cares about going from 0-60 .3 of a second faster or getting beat off the line.

personally I wouldn't get the M5 either I would get new 911 :dunno:

I don't get the hate. What better car is there to take kids to school in while still being able to fit in car seats? It's the perfect rich dad minivan.

no hate on the car itself just why would anyone want the manual version when the dual clutch is better.

no hate on the car itself just why would anyone want the manual version when the dual clutch is better.

They enjoy manuals. As has been said rowing gears add excitement to the experience.