News: BMW to unleash 350bhp M1

GT - R

FinalGear Forza 3 Time Attack Winner
Car(s)
Skyline GTR (Someday)
BMW-51101041355251600x1060.jpg

BMW?s M division has started development of an M version of the 1-series coup?, set to be equipped with a twin-turbocharged six-cylinder engine producing 350bhp.

The new two-door, details of which were first uncovered by Autocar back in November, has now been added to BMW?s stable of future production models, with right-hand-drive UK sales set to begin in mid-2011.

Artist renderings of how the BMW M1 will look

The decision to put the car into production has been attributed to an ?overwhelmingly positive reaction? to recent customer clinics, according to at least one high-ranking BMW official. Aimed at attracting younger customers to BMW?s performance cars, the new coup? is set to become the M division?s most affordable model.

It will slot into the range beneath the M3 coup?, and should cost around ?38,000, ?8000 more than the 135i Coup? M Sport. That means it will compete directly with Audi?s forthcoming RS3.

Revealing the plans for the new 1-series-based model, M division boss Kay Segler said, ?I want to set a clear signal that our products are financially accessible.

?With the modular production processes in place at BMW, it is possible to create performance cars that customers can not only dream about owning but also realistically afford.?

BMW is still deciding whether or not to call the car M1, a name originally used on the firm?s legendary road racer supercar in 1978. Inspiration for the new car comes from BMW?s tii concept, a sporting version of the 1-series coup? that was revealed at the 2007 Tokyo motor show.

While the powerplant in that car was never revealed, the new M car will use a revised version of BMW?s latest turbocharged straight six. In standard guise the 3.0-litre unit, recently unveiled in the 535i GT, uses a twin-scroll turbo aimed at providing a more linear delivery of power and better fuel economy than the earlier twin-turbocharged unit used in the 135i.

For the new M car the engine will re-adopt a twin-turbocharged layout, although the new system is said to differ quite dramatically from that used on the older engine; it?s likely to get a new turbo and a more efficient intercooler arrangement.

The modifications are said to be on a similar level to those seen in the recently introduced X5 M and X6 M, whose 547bhp twin-turbo 4.4-litre V8 has big changes compared with the standard V8 versions used in the X5 and X6.

The output of the new M six-pot is expected to climb to around 350bhp, some 48bhp more than the existing 135i M Sport but 70bhp less than the M3?s naturally aspirated 4.0-litre V8. More than outright power, though, it is torque that is likely to play a more significant role in defining the new car?s character.

No figures have been released, but with BMW?s standard turbocharged 3.0-litre six already producing an M3-equalling 295lb ft, the newly developed M version of this engine should be good for at least 310lb ft.

The basis for the new M-car is today?s 1-series coup?. Its driveline is likely to feature a standard six-speed dual-clutch gearbox and an electronically controlled M differential.

With a kerb weight of not much more than 1500kg, its straight-line performance should be close to that of the 1580kg M3. A relatively short 3.15:1 final drive promises a 0-60mph time of around 5.5sec.

Fuel-saving measures such as brake energy regeneration and possibly a stop-start system should also ensure the new M1 is no thirstier than the 135i, which is rated at 30.7mpg in six-speed manual guise.

Underneath, the layout of the 1-series coup?s MacPherson strut (front) and multi-link (rear) suspension will remain the same. However, BMW?s M division engineers have set about altering the suspension properties, with firmer spring and dampers and a new set of bushes, along with lightweight 18-inch alloy wheels. ?We?re aiming to make it a lot more dynamic than the standard 135i,? said Segler.

Setting the M1 apart from the standard 1-series coup? will be a typically subtle M division body kit, including a deeper front spoiler, flared front wheel arches, chunkier sills, a rear deck spoiler and a deeper rear valance with four chromed exhaust pipes.

Assembly of the newest M-car is likely to take place at BMW?s Leipzig factory in Germany. alongside standard versions of the 1-series coup?.

But with 18 months to go until it goes on sale in the UK, Segler is remaining coy about projected volumes. ?We?re confident it will draw new customers to the M line-up, but in these difficult economic times it?s impossible to say how it will fare,? he said. ?It does, however, reveal where the brand is heading.?

in "Autocar.co.uk"

350 hp and 5,5 0-100km/h ? Lol

I agree, and it's only marginally lighter than a M3 as well, that is just so very wrong.

Not to mention how easily anyone could make one of these or something faster out of a regular 135i...

1500kg for a car that size?

Surely they must be able to do better than that.

^ Mans right

So in essence your just paying for M1 badges and maybe some tarty electronics.

i realy don't like the 1 coupe

i want a hatch!

BMW is still deciding whether or not to call the car M1, a name originally used on the firm?s legendary road racer supercar in 1978.

They won't.

I think it'll be called the 135is. Just like recently announced Z4, and like in the 3-series, which I just created a thread about.

Damn I too was hoping they'd revive the real M1. They could have made something really awesome, given their V10 an awesome send off by putting the full fury of it to good use. :(

But still 350bhp in a small coupe chassis, sounds interesting. Have to keep this in mind next time BMW send out the invites for their next lot of press days. :wicked: :D

Last edited:
they should have called it the BMW 135M or M135i, but M1? Thats usually a Supercar.

Nevermind, they needed 6 years to bring out an official M-Version of the 1-series, thats more than half a decade BMW! oO

That's it, i'm no longer a BMW fanboy. I'm just so fed up with BMW these days. Yes, you're hearing it from me, the biggest BMW fanboy from finland :D

I came. I saw. I was devastated.

... the Audi RS3 will (if the press is to be believed) have the TT RS 5cyl Turbo that get?s the TT up to 100km/h in under 5 seconds. Half a second faster and quattro for the bends ... I don?t really see BMW "win" this duel on a track ... also not on looks, interior or engine sound ... but we?ll see ... :)
AWD helps with 0-60 numbers because it can launch like a mofo. Quattro doesn't really help in bends, btw. This next bit is personal option, but I like the 135i's looks way more than the TTs.

Just thought of the only advantage of this M over a regular 135i - real LSD in the back. Still, my friend has a 135i that puts down quite a bit of power and he claims that there aren't really any traction problems. A true LSD would be nice, but not worth $2k or so over the stock e-diff.