BMW's new superbike : S 1000 RR

MadCow809

Forum Addict
20080417162210S1000RR_lr_400.jpg

20080417162240S1000RR_aksie_lr_220.jpg

After much speculation and widely circulating spyshots, BMW has officially unveiled its World Superbike contender.

The past two years has seen BMW enter a number of segments where the country wasn't represented before, like Sports Enduro. Now the German manufacturer is getting seriously speedy with its new World Superbike contender.

"We are confident that we will be able to start the Superbike World Championship next year with a convincing all-round package, and that our series motorcycle will be just as convincing," says BMW Motorrad General Director, Hendrik von Kuenheim.

"In terms of both its technology and price, our Supersports (motorcycle) will be absolutely competitive. It is our objective to offer the customer a high-performance motorcycle with absolutely outstanding qualities and features on both the road and race track in terms of rideability, performance, and ergonomics."

This models is still in the middle of its development process, so no technical specs have been released as yet. What BMW has confirmed is that the bike will officially be known as the S 1000 RR.

"In choosing the name and designation of BMW's new Supersports (motorcycle), we are consistently following our nomenclature at BMW Motorrad.

"In this name, the 'S' stands for Supersports, marking a new class of motorcycles from BMW. The '1000' designates the size of the engine, and the 'RR' naturally stands for the model itself," explains von Kuenheim.

Various different engine concepts were considered for this model, but BMW has decided in favour of a straight four because it best meets the company?s requirements for power, performance, weight and package. BMW is confident that the engine will offer a number of special features, especially on the cylinder head.

According to BMW, and in compliance with the rules of the World Superbike Series, the new motorcycle will be available to customers in 2009 and the company will build 1000 production models by the end of next year.

link

Looks damn hot, but then again, most litre superbikes look hot :p

DO WANT!!!
With a comfier seat, though... Those things, like on the 999R I sat on, are race only, IMO...

I'm usually not one for sportbikes but I just creamed my underpants. Man that thing looks sexy! And I'm digging the all black carbon fiber look.

Looks damn good!! But it will probably be really expensive... But i want one! :D

Apparently it will have 190hp and weigh 190kg... :woot:

Wow wonder what the hp/tonne ratio is... :D

Looks badass. If I ever get a bike (which I won't) I would be considering one. Of course this is assuming I become really rich. :p

That's a BMW? Holy crap! That is amazing looking, and I can't believe I'm saying that about a motorcycle.

Looks badass. If I ever get a bike (which I won't) I would be considering one. Of course this is assuming I become really rich. :p

According to BMW, and in compliance with the rules of the World Superbike Series, the new motorcycle will be available to customers in 2009 and the company will build 1000 production models by the end of next year.

In order to meet the homologation rule, they will only have about 1000 produced by 2009. So for us to get our hands on one of these monsters from the local dealership, I think its safe to say around 2010.

First time EVER I am lusting after a BMW bike...this looks so "unBMWish". Can't wait to read a review!

Finally a good looking BMW bike!
I never really liked the designs of the bikes. But this one is hot!

This will the top item of Clarkson's hate list.

A bike with a BMW badge on it :D

^BMW has been making bikes for decades.

Guys, this is just a test mule. I was talking to the bike guys at the weekly meet last night and found out that they have managed to cram a liter bike into the stock shell of a 600.

Like most mules, the production line will probably look different.

^BMW has been making bikes for decades.

Guys, this is just a test mule. I was talking to the bike guys at the weekly meet last night and found out that they have managed to cram a liter bike into the stock shell of a 600.

Like most mules, the production line will probably look different.

I think we all know BMW have been making bikes for yonks. The company started off by making bikes in the first place.

But its mainly touring bikes and off roading bikes they have been making, which is not too interesting and ugly. Superbikes on the otherhand......... :cool::cool:

Last edited:
The R1200 was a sport cruiser and they have enduro bikes, adventure touring bikes, and sport bikes. They currently have four sport bikes in the line up, the R 1200 S, K 1200 S, K 1200 R Sport, and the F 800 S. In the "High Performance" category they have HP2 Sport.

This is the one I sat on last night, the K 1200 R. BMW has this one in their "Urban" section, but it's still a sport bike. I love the cyborg styling.

Lets see, that's .19 tonne, so multiply the power by ~5, and you get ... 950hp/tonne ...

mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

I love blacked out superbikes, and the fact that the fairings are carbon fiber only makes it better. They should make that an optional color scheme.

That is pure awesome. How BMW could have gone from that tank of a K1200S to that ultra-sexy black beast is astonishing. It's on an equal scale of Jaguar moving from s-type to xf-type.

Especially considering that motorbike design has gone absolutely horrible after 2006.Now they all have those horribly designed stubby exhausts or aweful body shapes.

The only bikes still looking remotely good are the yamis, cbr 600 rr, and the italians. Generally, the modern 600s look far better than their bigger brothers.

Lets see, that's .19 tonne, so multiply the power by ~5, and you get ... 950hp/tonne ...

That only holds true if the bike can drive itself.

190 kg + skinny 70 kg driver = 260 porky kilograms => 730 hp/tonne

190 kg + "big boned" 90 kg driver = 270 porky kilograms => 703 hp/tonne

Also, I'm not sure if the quoted weight includes fuel.

That only holds true if the bike can drive itself.

190 kg + skinny 70 kg driver = 260 porky kilograms => 730 hp/tonne

190 kg + "big boned" 90 kg driver = 270 porky kilograms => 703 hp/tonne

Also, I'm not sure if the quoted weight includes fuel.

Often it is dry, no oil/fuel or battery.

A car cant drive itself either and as far as I know power/weight ratios are calculated without the driver...