Booze thread

Redliner

Y'all got any lamps?
DÖNER
Car(s)
I don't drive, I fly.
Anything alcoholic.

I?ll start:

I bought a bottle of mead out of curiosity. Will it awake the Viking in me? :lol:

I make a passable Vesper Martini using Noilly Prat, gin and vodka. *checks watch* Time for one now methinks.

:D

032211_jack_daniels_tennessee_honey_whiskey_t.jpg

Meh. Was good, but could barely taste any honey. Just a good sweet whiskey.

I think that stuff is terrible. But then again, I think Jack is terrible too. If i'm going to get whiskey in that price range it's going to be Johnnie Red. I know it's different but that's the choice I'd make.

I think that stuff is terrible. But then again, I think Jack is terrible too. If i'm going to get whiskey in that price range it's going to be Johnnie Red. I know it's different but that's the choice I'd make.

I'm also not a fan of Jack, but the honey definitely made it more drinkable.

I honestly can't handle my liquor. I cut it off after 2 drinks, 3 max. I end up feeling like/actually throwing up after that. Hangovers are worse too. Thank God I'm a beer snob and don't need to waste my time on "mixed drinks."

Having said that, my new favorite Scotch of the moment:

The_Balvenie_The_Balvenie_Doublewood_12_Year_Old_12_.jpg

Bought a bottle of this yesterday...
polarbearchick_2.jpg

I think Manowar would approve of the ad, lol.

First drink for 10 months - a bottle of 6X and one of Adnams Southwold ale. The doc said a few drinks were OK over Xmas but I get the impression that he'd rather I did not drink any beer actually.

What's the deal with this stuff?

attachment.php

I've seen a lot of hype about it and how complex it is. I'm no bourbon guy, but this seems to be worth it. Might need to find a bottle to split with my suitemates at school to try it out.

What's the deal with this stuff?
I've seen a lot of hype about it and how complex it is. I'm no bourbon guy, but this seems to be worth it. Might need to find a bottle to split with my suitemates at school to try it out.
It's a very nice wheated Bourbon, but will probably be very hard to find and quite expensive this time of year. My favorite wheated is the antique collection William Larue Weller, but it's equally hard to find.

Is it wrong that I don't like any hard liquor :unsure:? Ocasioanlly I'll have a straight shot of vodka at a party or something, but I prefer to stick to my beers. Maybe I just haven't developed the taste for things like whiskey/bourbon/scotch/cognac/etc.

When I do come around to vodka its a shot of this...ice cold straight from the freezer,

None of that luke-warm bar top stuff or any of that flavored crap. I once was accidentally served a shot of room temperature Cotton Candy Pinnacle Vodka at a bar and it was one of the most vile things I've ever had. That said, I did take shots of Absolut Peppar with my dad once - that was fun.

Last edited:
22 is the exact age when I taught myself to like Scotch, and I couldn't stand drinking any liquor either.

I was tired of taking a girl out, who always had their go-to drinks or wines, and I sat there ordering a beer. While I am a beer snob, beer is still beer, and it was time to move to a more grown-up, gentlemanly drink.

Scotch seemed like the manliest drink I could think of so I went with that. Now I actually appreciate it and enjoy drinking it. (Plus girls usually make a face when you order it, but then totally respect that you drink such hard stuff ;) )

I am half-Scots but in spite of my best efforts I can't develop a taste for the stuff. I can handle pretty much any other spirit (although I don't like anisette drinks much) but Scotch whiskey regardless of type just doesn't do it for me.

Beer usually does not do it for me. :dunno:
Spirits are much more to my liking, like vodka or Scotch.

When I do come around to vodka its a shot of this...ice cold straight from the freezer,

None of that luke-warm bar top stuff or any of that flavored crap. I once was accidentally served a shot of room temperature Cotton Candy Pinnacle Vodka at a bar and it was one of the most vile things I've ever had. That said, I did take shots of Absolut Peppar with my dad once - that was fun.

I like the flavoured Absolut stuff, most of it at least. But cheap flavoured vodka is awful. As is cheap Vodka in general. The Standard you postet is like the starting point for decent vodka when you are in a (alcohol)store ... anything below pricewise is crap, do not go "sub-standard" ;)

Absolut 100 is pretty good. :D

I have recently discovered a new thing - getting undrunk. Start the evening with a large Vesper Martini (3 parts gin, one part vodka, one part French Vermouth in heroic measures shaken over ice and poured over some lemon peel), followed by a couple of regular beers and then a switch to a good low/non-alcohol beer.

Just as much fun without ending the evening praying to Ralph down the white porcelain telephone, waking up with a thick head or risking getting breathalysed on your way to work in the morning.

It's the way forward I promise you.

I like the flavoured Absolut stuff, most of it at least. But cheap flavoured vodka is awful. As is cheap Vodka in general. The Standard you postet is like the starting point for decent vodka when you are in a (alcohol)store ... anything below pricewise is crap, do not go "sub-standard" ;)

I've never bought anything other than Standard. My parents tend to buy Finlandia and its not bad. Don't know how it stacks up pricewise.

Vodka is the "Meh" of spirits, but when drinking a V&T I usually ask for Chopin.