Booze thread

Koskenkorva_Valhalla.JPG

Tried this yesterday.... It is a herbal liqueur, comparable to j?eger. This has imo better balance on herbs with distinct licorice flavour pushing through. Recommended by Sifu.
Might be adopted by the Nordic Law Students society, will try it if I get the chance. The commercial is kind of cheesy though :p

A splash of Costco bourbon in hot chocolate makes for a fine winter drink.

I've just tried (for the first time) some Hendrick's Gin on the rocks, for lack of tonic water. After the first few "Holy Hell!"s it's downright lovely... :blush:

Trying to go back and remember all the bourbons I've tried. I'm sure I'm missing some:
  • Clyde Mays
  • Basil Hayden
  • Bully Boy
  • Knob Creek
  • Maker's Mark
  • Maker's Mark 46
  • Bulleit
  • Four Roses small batch
  • Wild Turkey
  • Woodford Reserve
  • Booker's
  • The Duke
  • J.R. Revelry

Definitely forgetting some.

Last edited:
Oooh! Good list.

We had a fun flight a few months back. Barely scratches the surface, but it was fun.
VuDgMdp.jpg

Trying to go back and remember all the bourbons I've tried. I'm sure I'm missing some...

Can you get Garrison Brothers there? It's spectacular.

I just went shopping to stock the cabinet at the new house. It's a decent first pass.

Can you get Garrison Brothers there? It's spectacular.

I just went shopping to stock the cabinet at the new house. It's a decent first pass.

I've had to send 3 bottles of Garrison Bros up to my parents in the last year. One of their rancher friends down here is a member of their fancy club and turned them on to it. I keep meaning to get another bottle for myself but I always forget when I'm out shopping.

I usually don't go much for booze but over the last year or so I've moved from higher quantities of beer to much lower quantities of wine and the occasional stronger stuff. Since I spent the week before last in Porto, I had to bring home some port of course. One red, one white... no picture, since they're not really special (Graham's in case anyone wants to know).
Now, to serious booze... I don't quite know how I got my hands on this, but I did... so there...
Jox8tqB.jpg

I don't know this one, but Wiki says a Herbridean Island malt, from Islay. Good choice!.

My normal tipple would be Talisker, also a Herbridean Island malt, from Skye. Taste notes are it is very "peaty". Yes, it tastes like a dried peat fire smells.

:smile:

Booze thread

Lagavulin is the only Islay single malt I haven't tasted yet. It's amazing how differently they are.

Personally I prefer the Ardbeg, simply because it's the most complex one and I like if when the flavor changes in your mouth. But it's not for everyone. If you like Islay single malts, though, I can recommend the Ardbeg "Corrywreckan", which is darker in color and stronger (57 % alcohol). The smell alone is already worth it.

Of the non-Islay single malts I prefer the Glenmorangie but I also like a nice Irish whiskey.

Last edited:
Lagavulin is the only Islay single malt I haven't tasted yet. It's amazing how differently they are.

Personally I prefer the Ardbeg, simply because it's the most complex one and I like if when the flavor changes in your mouth. But it's not for everyone. If you like Islay single malts, though, I can recommend the Ardbeg "Corrywreckan", which is darker in color and stronger (57 % alcohol). The smell alone is already worth it.

Of the non-Islay single malts I prefer the Glenmorangie but I also like a nice Irish whiskey.

The regular (I believe 10 YO) Aardberg is pretty average, but I'm with you on the Corryvreckan, it's become my favorite Scotch. Their Uigeadail isn't bad as well.

Before that, the Lagavulin Distiller Edition was my favorite. Their 16 YO is also excellent.

Booze thread

There you can see how much taste can differ. I consider the regular Ardbeg more interesting than other single malts, simply because if constantly changes while you drink it. At the first sip it's a bit salty, then, with the second sip, a delicate sweetness comes through, finally some fruity notes and all the time there is that fine smoky undertone that lingers but not as penetrant as with a Laphroaig.

I made it a habit, by the way, to not drink two different whiskies on the same day, because the first one you drank always dominates the ones you taste after that.

Last edited:
Honoring my heritage:
maotai-yingbinjiu-500ml.jpg

Christ this stuff is strong and complex. It tastes like it's been aged in stinky tofu, which if you're used to it is actually a good thing.

Aye! Just by looking at the label, I can smell the ??.

One of my dad's co-workers brought a bottle of that stuff when he went on a business trip to China. I tried some of it when I was 16 and thought it was nasty! LOL.