Bought my first car MS3

I've never understood why so many people harp on the torque steer with the Speed3...
I don't get it, either. I never had a torque steer problem with it, and no owner I've ever met has complained about it.

2000-87 Toyota Tercel EZ - I broke the transmission after a year
2001-92 Honda Accord EX - I was t-boned
2003-97 Chevrolet caviler - I spun on the freeway in the rain and totaled it
Damn! I hope you have better luck with your current car.

I am sure some of you know this, but I really admire the style of the Mazda 3 hatchback. They really hit the nail on the head with that one.

As for torque steer, equal length axles and some suspension geometry updates will cure that, which I am sure they did with this model. But still, all that power going through the front wheels...tragic. Hopefully an AWD version will be next.

I drove one of these, although I think it was an 07, I liked it a lot. I noticed when coming to a stop and shifting to first gear with the clutch engaged, there was a lot of whine from the trans. maybe cause it was new? Or maybe cause it had to be so beefy to handle all the torque?
Your last guess would be correct, they probably changed the angle of the gear mesh (more straight) to handle the torque.

Last edited:
Any ideas on what your first mods are going to be???

Things that are easily reversible so that he can keep the warranty?

I really doubt that I will ever do any mods, sorry.

But if I were to do one, it would probably be the BOV (blow off valve) after seeing that video it looks like a good place to start.

I have been loving driving it
The car does everything so well

I have been making extra trips just so i can drive it more.

What i think is interesting is that if I am on the freeway and set the CC at 65 I get about 40MPG according to the trip computer for a 2 mile stretch that i did.
When I go 75-80 is when I get the advertised 28MPG.

Over the last 2 days I averaged 15MPG. Its been a lot of fun. I really hope that I will be able to settle down a little, but boy is it fun.

I never liked the stock wheels if I had the car that would be my first mod. Also look into Cobb tuning accessport I think they have a good tune over stock stage1.

I don't get it, either. I never had a torque steer problem with it, and no owner I've ever met has complained about it.

Torque is electronically limited in a first few gears to minimize torque steer. I'm not sure if this can be turned off with the TC or not, but it may explain why some people say it torque steers and others say it's fine.

Torque is electronically limited in a first few gears to minimize torque steer. I'm not sure if this can be turned off with the TC or not, but it may explain why some people say it torque steers and others say it's fine.

I believe its boost limited in the first two gears.

No the torque is electronically limited nothing to do with boost..I would hope that would be a big thumbs down.

no it's done by limiting boost. How else would you limit torque in a FI car?

What?!? That is BULLSHIT!!! Minus 1, Mazda! :mad:

i am confused why everyone is so unhappy that they limit the torque in first and second gear. It allows for the best of both worlds short ratios AND huge power. Most cars have big power and tall ass gearing to avoid wheel spin or short ratios and a lack of torque but with the mazda you get fun close ratios and big power win fucking win people win fuckin win

Last edited:
Yup, that is the very reason that my brother got a GTI instead of an MS3. The MS6, however, with AWD has no such limitations :mrgreen:

which is why they break diff mounts...

Things that are easily reversible so that he can keep the warranty?[/QUOTE

Unless they are big D-nozzles about the warranty. Ask other Mazda tuners in your area, if there are any, and see if there are any dealers that are some what mod friendly. And read up on the Magnuson-Moss Act

I really doubt that I will ever do any mods, sorry.

But if I were to do one, it would probably be the BOV (blow off valve) after seeing that video it looks like a good place to start.

What i think is interesting is that if I am on the freeway and set the CC at 65 I get about 40MPG according to the trip computer for a 2 mile stretch that i did.
When I go 75-80 is when I get the advertised 28MPG.

I felt that same way about my R. It changed quickly :evil:

I just watched that video too, and I think any MS3 owner would be a fool not to change that.

Was that Average or Instantaneous MPG??

This is from a few years ago and they might have changed things since then:

From Car and Driver:
As for the torque steer, Mazda knew it would be Oscar winning. So it wrote the engine-control software with a nuance that links the engine's output with steering-wheel angle. Boot it with the front wheels centered, and you get the whole can of Spam. If the helm is turned a few degrees left or right, the computer backs off the throttle a couple of percentage points to relax the sideways tug on the nose. This car also comes with Super LSD, which we were dismayed to learn is perfectly legal. It's the GKN-supplied mechanical limited-slip differential borrowed from the RX-8.

Great choice on getting the MS3! I bought mine back in october and just rolled 2500 miles on her. I love the car so far and can't wait to continue modding it when spring hits.

P.S. remove the side moldings :) it makes it look 10x better. Here is my MS3

DSC_0194.jpg