Bovine 1, My Truck 0

TGCDN

Car(s)
Buick Rendezvous, Dodge Dakota
Everyone here remember that line the Robbie Coltrane's character from The World is Not Enough said just after his caviar factory fell apart, "The insurance company is never going to believe this... ". Well Friday morning, I had such an occurrence. Driving home from my shift I had 4 cows ram into the side of my Dakota. I was going about 45 k in a 50 zone because of cars parked on the roadside coming up to the spot were mostly voly firefighters from my local station. They came flying out of a blind driveway, so I had little time to do much of anything aside brake and turn left away from the cattle.
The damage is minor but enveloping:

- the passenger fender is a writeoff
- the windshield is cracked (circular impact)
- thee passenger door is missing the mirror and is caved in a bit with a cracked door handle but will open and the window (that maybe scratched due to the mirror coming off and rubbing against it ) cranks
- the aft cab panel is dented
- the box on the passenger side is all dented up going all the way back to the tail light.

The cows suffered no damage as far as I could see as I was helping the vff's wrangle them up as they were short handed.

So it up to insurance if they don't total it out. we'll see......

and to answer anyone question, yes the insurance broker did chuckle when I told them what happened, so the quote I think was appropriate.:mad:

i'll post pics monday or tuesday.

Only one thing left to do - REVENGE!

And make sure you say this to the herd:

Last edited:
Everyone here remember that line the Robbie Coltrane's character from The World is Not Enough said just after his caviar factory fell apart, "The insurance company is never going to believe this... ". Well Friday morning, I had such an occurrence. Driving home from my shift I had 4 cows ram into the side of my Dakota. I was going about 45 k in a 50 zone because of cars parked on the roadside coming up to the spot were mostly voly firefighters from my local station. They came flying out of a blind driveway, so I had little time to do much of anything aside brake and turn left away from the cattle.
The damage is minor but enveloping:

- the passenger fender is a writeoff
- the windshield is cracked (circular impact)
- thee passenger door is missing the mirror and is caved in a bit with a cracked door handle but will open and the window (that maybe scratched due to the mirror coming off and rubbing against it ) cranks
- the aft cab panel is dented
- the box on the passenger side is all dented up going all the way back to the tail light.

The cows suffered no damage as far as I could see as I was helping the vff's wrangle them up as they were short handed.

So it up to insurance if they don't total it out. we'll see......

and to answer anyone question, yes the insurance broker did chuckle when I told them what happened, so the quote I think was appropriate.:mad:

i'll post pics monday or tuesday.
You got the name and address of a couple/three witnesses of course?

You got the name and address of a couple/three witnesses of course?

Written down, no.

My brother (a onscene vff), a friend of mine that lives near scene (a onscene vff), his father (farmhand from where cows came from), his other brother (farmhand from farm and the station captain of vff onscene) and other vff's that happen to work at the local Dodge dealership all saw the aftermath.

Plus the neighbour that lives across from the accident scene came over as soon as I parked.

So for witnesses I'm covered, I'm just worried due to age and amount of damage that writing it off will be the only option and I wont get much for the write off. I'm figuring less the 3,000$ if they do.

Cobol74s top tip (I used to work for Zurich Insurance) - always write down the N&A of at least one and pref two or more witnesses - makes the claims process so much simpler.

Cobol74s top tip (I used to work for Zurich Insurance) - always write down the N&A of at least one and pref two or more witnesses - makes the claims process so much simpler.

i'll stop by the non vff witneses house to get her info just in case and i will call up my friend thats the nearby vff just to make sure.

thanks for the tip.

First: be glad you were in a truck.
Second : glad you are ok
Third : glad the cows are ok, steak is fucking important.
Fourth : sounds like all cosmetics, nothing structural, few days panelwacking and some bits replacing at most, insurance should handle that.

First of all, let me say that I feel for you and I hope you'll be back on the road with little car and insurance troubles. However ...

This may be a bit too soon and it may be a tad insensitive, but somebody had to do it:

OLE!!
coY4NIA.jpg

Well the body shop estimated their repairs to cost in excess of 4000$, exceeding what fair market value of the vehicle. So I will have 2 options, either they give me X amount of dollars for the truck and they take it, or they give me an amount <X and I can keep it and do my own repairs. I will have the amounts by end of week and then I get to decide. Everyone thinks I'm crazy to keep and fix it, but I really like the truck (aside the lack of a manual transmission and only 145 hp). Anyone have any thoughts?

Do the maths. With what the insurance company is going to offer you, + whatever you have in the budget, what can you get? If it's better, get better.

Or decide what has to be fixed over cosmetic. If you fix the minimal, what'll that cost, and does that at least give you a vehicle for the short term with some starting money to save for something better / or top up with a loan.

Failing that, if you're really attached to it, fix it. But, at the end of the day spending lots of money on a sub $4k vehicle doesn't make economic sense.