Brands you use

I'm not really brand partial for most things, just going with whatever fits my needs. I do not respond TV ads, they just tell me what to avoid. My selections are made after careful research.

Espresso Equipment: Ascaso
Home Audio Equipment: Denon
Home Audio Speakers: Polk
Network Hardware: Netgear
PC Peripherals: Logitech
Mobile Phone: HTC

Most everything else is up for grabs.

I usually care more about the price/performance ratio but in a few areas I've zeroed in on brands that have worked really well for me.

Home audio speakers: Infinity, especially the older stuff with the EMIT ribbon tweeters
Bass guitar strings: Rotosound swing bass 66
Deodorant: Old spice
Pens: Pilot G2 07 in blue
Pocket knife: SOG

For some reason I automatically try to avoid buying the same stuff again (especially for clothing), but I can't explain the logic behind it :) Of course, there are a couple of things I consistently prefer, or don't care enough to research alternatives:

Puma for driving shoes, simply because I can't find any alternative that's narrow and flexible enough.
Uni-ball micro deluxe (blue) pen (since this seems to be a thing :p), went through at least a dozen of these, the perfect rollerball pen for my taste.
Pantene for shampoo.
"Normal" Teboil for the M30, thicker Valvoline VR1 for the Kent.
I love Bahco tools whenever I get to use them, but most of my tools are cheap crap brands, unfortunately.

Once, in a moment of weakness I paid much more that I planned for a Helly Hansen sailing jacket (for wet weather driving), but over the years it left me so impressed, that I would count me as brand loyal :)

I always buy Sievi shoes, other than that, dunno. :dunno:

They're mostly known for their steel-toed work shoes (which I use 8-12 hours a day and love) but they also have 'normal' shoes. No reason to buy anything else, imo.

Never knew they made regular shoes but their work shoes are very nice!

Toothpaste: Pepsodent

-Shoes: Nike and Adidas
-Shirts: Lacoste and Brooksfield
-Jeans: Levis and Brooksfield
-Mobile phone: Motorola
-Laptop: HP and Dell
-Console: Microsoft
-TV: Sony and Samsung
-Home Audio Equipment: Harman Kardon
-Home Audio Speakers: JBL

Shoes: Whatever is comfortable.
Shirts: Whatever is comfortable.
Pants: Whatever is comfortable
Boxers: Whatever is comfortable and doesn't have someone's deposits on it at the store.
Tech stuff: Whatever works properly, sounds great, functions well, has high ratings and good reviews.

Everyday Shoes: Merrell. Best fit I've found for my stupidly shaped feet and even my lightweight Merrells are rugged enough to go up the side of a mountain.

Fiber One bars for the poops. Serious.

Other than that, really just anything MEC sells I guess. Oh, and Eddie Bauer.

Electronics for me are whatever is best and/or cheapest every several years when I need to buy a new one, I don't give a damn what it is. Electrical tape over the brand name, hah, take that!

Last edited:
Reminds me I need to go to MEC to shop for shoes (Merrel, Scarpa, Keen or something else, not sure yet).

Boots - Thorogood or Chippewa
Jeans - Vintage Levi 501's, All American and 7 For All Mankind
Shoes - New Balance and Sperry
Casual clothes - L.L. Bean and Banana Republic
Jackets - Marmot and Mountain Hardware

I've never been one for labels particularly. I think it's my Scottish blood but I hate being ripped off and loathe the idea that a large percentage of what I hand over when paying for something is simply because it has a certain name on it. I have no problem with paying for something that does the job for which it was intended but I will always try an own brand option if there is one next to a widely advertised brand name.

Levi's would be the only thing and perhaps American Apparel since they're one of the few that make shirts of decent quality and fit my longer torso body. Also 50/50 or tri-blend shirts are where it's at, 100% cotton is not the business.

Everything else I'm pretty brand neutral (apart from carsof course).

I don't use brands, I use products. I have no particular brand loyalty, and brand does not amount into my choice when choosing a product.

I don't use brands, I use products.[...]
indeed.

There are certain brands I?ve stuck to because their products "fit" my needs, but that?s not because of the brand.

For example; with shoes (and sneakers specifically) I have yet to find shoes that fit my feet better than nike. The standard-sole thing they use is much better fitting for my feet than anything especially Adidas as to offer. That sort of thing is different for everybody as everybody is different. People have often asked me why I always wear nike shoes in my free-time, especially since I?m not exactly a teenager and other shoes would go better with my style of clothing - but I am simply not walking around in uncomfy shoes and these work well for me. But I could not care less what it says on the side of the shoe in general. I don?t care about the brand, I care about my feet`s comfort.

Last edited:
In keeping with the premise of the question (which I like) this is just the brands I end up in as a guideline. I don't wear these brands as a rule just go to and often end up wearing them. Its like Ralph Lauren Polo polo's; I have bunch, I think of them when I think summer shirt, but would just as much look at Penguin or Lacoste.

Workout Wear -

Shoes by Brooks or Saucony
Socks by Balega (top A+ for socks)
Compression Gear by Under Armour
Lax Shorts by Champion (the best - as close as a rule I have)

Jacket by Columbia

Casual Wear -
Boots by Dr Martens
Boxer Briefs by Jockey
Jeans by Izod
Undershirts by Kirkland

Cologne Tommy Hilfigger's Eau de Prep

Professional -
Shoes by Clarks (note knee high socks)
Blazers by J. Crew

Anti-perspirant - Mitchum SmartSolid Clinical Performance (note I think this causes cancer but it works and wear it when I know I will needs to appear dry)

Wallet and belts by Johnston & Murphy

Sleepwear? No, No I don't do that. Too confining

I tend to be pretty happy buying store brand stuff, it's worth the savings, unless the name brand happens to be as cheap or cheaper that week. There's a few exceptions though.

Sandwich Cookies: Oreos

PC: Dell/Lenovo business systems, Intel processors.

Clothes: if it's decently priced I'll pick it up. I won't buy Starter underwear though - whenever I've tried a variety of their stuff I've been disappointed. I'm now standardizing on Under Armour and Nike Pro Combat compression shorts...they fit great.

Sneakers: I'm a Nike, Adidas and Vans guy.

Last edited:
If a brand has treated me right, I will be blindly, fiercely loyal to it.

Same goes for people, too. :unsure:

Shoes: Adidas and Born
Pants: Levi's
Shirts: that varies, but I really like Merona (Target's in house brand)
Vehicle: Once was Pontiac, now Subaru
Household items: IKEA
Guitars and guitar amplifiers: Fender
cellular phone and electronics: Samsung

I guess I'm a brand whore?

I've tried a lot of brands for different things, and these are some of note. I usually try to go with the whatever's the lowest price and best quality based on reviews that I can afford at the time... and if I like it, I'll to remember the brand for future reference.

Home/Kitchen Brands that I've Tried:
Calphalon
Circulon
Cuisinart
Hamilton Beach - HB's have been great as rarely used appliances... I haven't gotten one for repetitive use abuse
IKEA
Le Creuset
Microplane
Mikasa - because it's shiny, Capt'n!
OXO
Tatung
Tiger
Tovolo -I love how sharp they can get the edges in their ice molds and spatulas. The spatula handles can be more ergonomic though.
Zojirushi - Kiki-proof. Tested and True.
Zwiling/JA Henckels

General Home:
Delta
Kohler
Thermador
TOTO -oh yeahhh
Whirlpool - usually inexpensive and Kiki-proof after several years of testing

Some of my Fave Stores:
H&M for Business and Casual
Target Clearance
Ross - patience is a virtue...
Goodwill - "I'm so pumped about some shit from the thrift shop"
DSW - clearance aisle is fan-fookin'tastic
Costco
White House | Black Market for Business and Evening

... and I'll head to these stores when I'm fookin' lazy:
Macy's
Nordstorms

Special nod to Columbia and Mountain Hardwear for jackets. I've also had several Northface pieces, but I'm definitely a Columbia girl these days since their products have repeatedly treated my family well. I love the nifty designs that go into 'em, and the technology is pretty cool.

Moto Stuffz:
Dainese
Alpinestars
Racer Gloves
Shoei
AGV
Bell
Arai (I wish! Arais are like coke...after your first hit...)

Pianos:
Yamaha
Steinway (again, I wish...)

... and Plush Toys:
GUND FTW!

Yeah, I know. I'm weird.

Last edited:
Computers : Apple
Clothing : whatever is comfy and cheap
Shoes : I like Jack Wolfskins and Converse Allstars in summer
Guitars : Charvel and ESP mostly nowadays
Home electronics : Sony