Breaking news: Blast hit Norwegian government building in Oslo

Some are calling for his trial not to be televised.

I think it should, as it would be in the spirit of Norway, if not Scandinavia, the models of a free and open democracy.

Am I right or wrong?
You cannot televise a court case in Norway. The general rule of thumb in Norway is that court cases are open to the public, which means you can attend in person, but you're not allowed to photograph, audio tape or video it. Media can be present, and report what happens, but not broadcast, video, audio tape, or photograph. They can do that before the court is set, but after the judge (or Judge in chief if it's a big case) declare the court is set, they can only make sketches of people, notes and report after the judge declares the court dismissed for that day. It's similar to what Air described of the Swedish system.

When it comes to what penalty Anders Behring Breivik might recieve for this it depends on what the prosecutor asks for. For crimes against humanity and mass murderer, they can give him as much as 30 years in prison, though he can (or in other words, will) be released on trial after 20 if he behaves nicely inside. The other option is to use some form for involuntary commitment with a maximum of 21 years in prison, after which the prosecutor can lengthen it (through trials) with five years at the time. During these trials they will bring in experts to evaluate him and find out whether or not he is a threat to society anymore. If they find that he is, he will have to stay (in theory, until he dies) if not, they will have to release him.

Ah thanks for that and agree with your second point.
Tbh, I don't even agree with myself on that. I'm a history nutter, and what really fascinates me is the snippets of history*. So for future generations, this is worth finding out.

* Like the fact Finnish Radio bugged Hitler and Mannerheim when they had a meeting in 1943.

Well, the BBC have got useless researchers then. The reporters implied it was normal practice for court procedings to be televised in Norway.
(Court TV coverage never happens here in England either.)
As Eirik points out, it's common for courts to be open, and they can be reported. But not televised or broadcasted.

You cannot televise a court case in Norway. The general rule of thumb in Norway is that court cases are open to the public, which means you can attend in person, but you're not allowed to photograph, audio tape or video it. Media can be present, and report what happens, but not broadcast, video, audio tape, or photograph. They can do that before the court is set, but after the judge (or Judge in chief if it's a big case) declare the court is set, they can only make sketches of people, notes and report after the judge declares the court dismissed for that day. It's similar to what Air described of the Swedish system.
Well, the Swedes did allow the audio recording of a statement in court one or two years ago, I believe. Another point I'd like to make is that it's in principle illegal to photograph and publish a photo of a suspect being transported to and from court in Norway without their permission. You can and will go to jail for doing it. I believe they can get around it by photographing the car.

f/5.6, ISO100, 1/125s and 1/4 power on your Flash (580EX at least) according to an old photo teacher of mine. To photograph through a car window, that is.

Tbh, I don't even agree with myself on that.

Probably not supposed to as Politics is a serious business, but I LOL'd. :lol:

I'm a history nutter, and what really fascinates me is the snippets of history*. So for future generations, this is worth finding out.

* Like the fact Finnish Radio bugged Hitler and Mannerheim when they had a meeting in 1943.

* snip other stuff (see above) *

Am a bit a history nut too and I think also know of this incident, which was on a train when the meeting was being held.

That's indeed true. Just to really top the OT factor (heck, we're in need of a bloody laugh)..

Some decades ago, King Olav were holding a reception for some resistance chaps from the war. King Olav was quite interested in the war, being chief of the General Staff during the war. Anyway, His Majesty has let the talking run a little long, as he's fascinated by the stories he's told. So the chef moves over to him and tries to explain that the food is starting to get cold, and that they have to go for dinner.

King Olav turns around, look at his chef with as much royal presence as humanly possible. Then he asks a very rethorical question:

"Tell me.. who's King?"

:)

This is from about a block away from the blast site.

AMOK DEVIL: IS HE A WAR CRIMINAL?

(AMOK-TEUFEL: IST ER KRIEGSVERBRECHER?)

German tabloids at their best *hangs head in shame*

The Financial Times Deutschland writes:

"The deeds of Anders Breivik Behring are so unimaginably cruel that they pose a question which will be difficult to answer: How can a society justly punish someone like that? The answer will be painful -- because it will hardly satisfy the pain of the victims, the grief of the relatives and the horror of the population."

"The judiciary has attempted to take all this into account as they publicly deliberate whether to indict Breivik for crimes against humanity. The prosecution is obviously driven by the desire to lock up the perpetrator for longer than is actually possible. (If convicted of crimes against humanity) Breivik could face 30 years in prison, compared to the maximum of 21 years that Norwegian law allows for terrorism offenses."

"As much as this attempt corresponds to many people's gut instinct, it is wrong. The legal systems of democratic societies have renounced revenge as a principle for punishment. Instead, they aim to prevent future crimes through deterrence and to protect the public, while also respecting the criminals and giving them a chance at rehabilitation. Breivik too, who has been dubbed a monster by the tabloids, also has a right to a fair trial and to a sentence which corresponds to what the law stipulates for his crimes. Anything else threatens to subvert the rule of law."

The center-right Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung writes:

"Prime Minister Stoltenberg has said that Norway has passed this test, for which he received applause from his compatriots, showing that they agree with him. But what does this test consist of exactly? ? If it turns out that a more rapid intervention on the island had been possible, or if it turns out that the authorities could have detected (Breivik's plans) through intelligence and police work, and if even a single child's life could have been saved as a result, then the political hope that more openness leads to more safety in everyday life will melt away. The other part of the test involves dealing effectively with the massacre within the judicial system and in the terms of the prison sentence or preventive detention. The victims have not yet been buried -- it is too early for political confidence."

The left-leaning Die Tageszeitung writes:

"If more openness and more democracy is really the answer to terror, then Norway has to ask itself some uncomfortable questions. The first should be how it plans to deal with the right-wing populist Progress Party in the future. It is no accident that Breivik found his political home there over a period of many years. And when the party's leader now innocently announces that (the attacks) are 'a terrible nightmare,' then the party is clearly hoping that its own slogans about the 'creeping Islamization of Norway' have been forgotten. ... At the upcoming local elections in September, it will become clear whether at least some of the party's sympathizers have had second thoughts."

"But Stoltenberg's Labor Party also needs to have a re-think. All too often, the party has failed to seriously confront the right-wing populists in political debate. The Labor Party has left that largely to its youth wing, the AUF. It is no coincidence that that organization and its summer camp on Ut?ya became the target of Breivik's hate."

The left-leaning Berliner Zeitung writes:

"The reputation of (the late German Chancellor) Willy Brandt is closely linked to his famous 1969 slogan: 'Let's dare to have more democracy.' The political ideas of Germany's first post-war Social Democratic chancellor were decisively shaped by his experiences during his exile in Norway during World War II. The reaction of Norwegian politicians, the media and the general public to the (Ut?ya) massacre shows that this liberal, freedom-loving way of thinking is still seen as a hallmark of Norway's political culture by a large majority of people. The debate is characterized not by calls for new laws and a stronger state, but by a commitment to an open society that must be able to cope with even such an egregious breach of morals and humanity as Friday's mass murder."

The conservative Die Welt writes:

"The mass murderer of Oslo has already achieved some of his insane goals. The tremendous media attention that is being focused on him and his muddled ideological motives are giving him and his heinous crimes mythic status. Heavyweight newspapers are now interpreting his grisly, 1500-page 'manifesto,' with which he wanted to lend his barbaric deeds legitimacy by making them out to be an act of political revolution. They run the risk of allowing him to be taken seriously as a 'theorist' and a 'strategist.' The worst punishment for this killing machine in the form of a man -- whose name I do not even want to remember -- would be to not only lock him up for the rest of his life, but to deny him any further publicity."

AMOK DEVIL: IS HE A WAR CRIMINAL?

(AMOK-TEUFEL: IST ER KRIEGSVERBRECHER?)

German tabloids at their best *hangs head in shame*

I always thought it was the English tabloids who are the lowest of the low. (See Rejoyce, .. Thread for their latest skulduggery.)

I have a question about the normal court process in Norway.

If this trial was held in England, it could take more than a year before the trial starts, then months and months of trial process.

What sort of estimate would there be on this trial in Norway?

I always thought it was the English tabloids who are the lowest of the low. (See Rejoyce, .. Thread for their latest skulduggery.)

I have a question about the normal court process in Norway.

If this trial was held in England, it could take more than a year before the trial starts, then months and months of trial process.

What sort of estimate would there be on this trial in Norway?
And so it will most likely do in Norway. There is still and extensive amount of investigation to do for the Police. What worries them the most right now is the information about more cells of his group, and what they might plan. The reason for barred doors at the court house this Monday is the Police's worries he might send coded messages to the other cells...

The process might take a few years to go through the court system; the first instance (Tingretten) which is the district court, Lagmannsretten which is the court of appeal, then to the Supreme Court, if they find that there are important principles that needs to be judged upon in this case. I have a hard time imagining this case not being brought in before the Supreme Court. Interestingly all of these three courts are based in the same area of Oslo as where the blast was, with the Supreme Court being the closest, just about 100 meters away from the blast. The Appeals and District Court are based a couple of blocs away. The NOKAS-robbery was previously the biggest court case in Norway, and that took a little over a year from the verdict of the District court to the final verdict of the Supreme Court. It obviously took much longer to investigate as there were many more suspects, and it took a while before they were apprehended.

At this point I can't see this case going through any faster than the NOKAS-robbery, despite the fact they have the perp in custody.

I agree. It will almost certainly go to the supreme court for two reasons:

1. It's an important case of principle. It will establish for the first time what penalties can be given for extreme acts of terrorism, and how the law is to be interpreted. There have been terror cases before, but none of this scale.
2. It's about politics and history. It's important to be able to say in a hundered years time that it was done properly. It's not a formal reason, but I'm sure the supreme court will see it this way.

^
Ah, thanks guys.

From news conferences over the last few days, it sounded like the Norwegian Court system were a lot less slow & complicated than the English one.

They sound very similar, thanks for that.

I don't get to browse FG as much as I used to for lack of free time. So being my first post in this thread, firstly, I want to say I am deeply saddened for the people of Norway. When I first heard about the bombing, saw the pictures of the carnage (before the shootings were reported), I felt like you had your own OKC bombing. And that is a sad thing, to join the list of countries that not only have to worry about foreign terrorism but also nutcases within their own borders.

When they caught the guy who did all this, I also thought of nomix in particular, because of our past debates on how he feels the US justice system is messed up in allowing execution (or rather, leaving it up to the States). Hearing about the limited punishment he faces, and knowing the cold, methodical way in which he perpetrated his slaughter, its hard for me to even fathom how the punishment fits the crime. Or even how the Norwegian justice system works, in reading the most recent posts in this thread.

I know the US system has its faults, but I have to wonder where the line is for something like this. How many people do you have to kill in a single event to get more than 21 years? With a cap like that, doesn't that devalue each life taken by a crazed lunatic even further? If he had somehow killed say, 2977 people, would it still be 21 years?

I am also curious how you can receive a 21 year sentence, but then just be held indefinitely if you are deemed a threat to society. It sounds like the justifications we use here for keeping Guantanamo Bay open. Why is life in prison not considered an option when it clearly is?

Do you Norwegian FG'ers think that additional security checks will be implemented from this? For instance I read he had acquired 6 tons of fertilizer - you do that here and the FBI will be knocking at your door. Curious why that didn't raise any suspicions, or if that is something your police had not previously worried about.

Lastly I wonder about why there are such differences in audio/visual recordings of high profile cases between our countries, and why you cannot even photograph a subject in transit. I am just genuinely interested in the background to that, if anyone knows.

I don't get to browse FG as much as I used to for lack of free time. So being my first post in this thread, firstly, I want to say I am deeply saddened for the people of Norway. When I first heard about the bombing, saw the pictures of the carnage (before the shootings were reported), I felt like you had your own OKC bombing. And that is a sad thing, to join the list of countries that not only have to worry about foreign terrorism but also nutcases within their own borders.
It's been said by several people, but in my mind, it's still nice to read statements of support. Thank you.

When they caught the guy who did all this, I also thought of nomix in particular, because of our past debates on how he feels the US justice system is messed up in allowing execution (or rather, leaving it up to the States). Hearing about the limited punishment he faces, and knowing the cold, methodical way in which he perpetrated his slaughter, its hard for me to even fathom how the punishment fits the crime. Or even how the Norwegian justice system works, in reading the most recent posts in this thread.

I know the US system has its faults, but I have to wonder where the line is for something like this. How many people do you have to kill in a single event to get more than 21 years? With a cap like that, doesn't that devalue each life taken by a crazed lunatic even further? If he had somehow killed say, 2977 people, would it still be 21 years?

I am also curious how you can receive a 21 year sentence, but then just be held indefinitely if you are deemed a threat to society. It sounds like the justifications we use here for keeping Guantanamo Bay open. Why is life in prison not considered an option when it clearly is?
Firstly, I have to say I'm still oposed to the death penalty, even in this case. With regards to Norwegians, recent polls show that there's still about 78 % oposition to the death penatly, even after a tragedy like this.

Secondly, this issue of 21 years in prison have been repeated a lot. It's not precise. What will most likely happen is that he will be sentenced to 15 or 21 years detention (different legal term in Norway), and this form of penalty is generally speaking designed for a criminal that's deemed an extreme threat to society. When the first 15 or 21 years are served, a court will decide wether or not there is danger of repeat offences. In essense, it means a court will decide wether or not he shall be kept in detention for another 15 or 21 years. After those 15 or 21 years, there will be another hearing. It's related to the idea of rehabilitation, as we generally speaking think of prisons as institutions of rehabilitation.

However, I don't think there's any danger mr. Breivik will be let out in his lifetime. He will die in jail. I don't think it devalues the lives of the dead, I think it honors the lives of the dead that we're still the same society.

With regards to the question of wether or not this can be likened with the way in which the United States have used detention without trial in Guantanamo, I feel the comparison is somewhat inaccurate. Firstly, it's not detention without trial. The extensions will be tried by a court. Secondly, there is a trial to begin with. Thirdly, he will not be stripped of his civil rights and his human rights. He will not be tortured or be tricked to believe he's going to get shot. He won't sit in a cage like an animal either.

So no, I don't think the comparison is accurate.

Do you Norwegian FG'ers think that additional security checks will be implemented from this? For instance I read he had acquired 6 tons of fertilizer - you do that here and the FBI will be knocking at your door. Curious why that didn't raise any suspicions, or if that is something your police had not previously worried about.
Well, then they'd have to knock on many farm doors. So I don't think there will be much more security checks, other than a general feeling that someone suspicious buying large amounts of fertilizer might get checked out. Too many farmers to limit the sale and purchase of fertilizer, though.

Lastly I wonder about why there are such differences in audio/visual recordings of high profile cases between our countries, and why you cannot even photograph a subject in transit. I am just genuinely interested in the background to that, if anyone knows.
Different cultures. I suppose there's a belief that the broadcasting of trials may lead to a less dignified process. With regards to photographing a suspect in transit, it's probably a safeguard for stopping the courts from pre-judging a suspect outside the courts. As a means, it's highly ineffective, as that's the only time you need premission to photograph anyone in Norway.

It's been said by several people, but in my mind, it's still nice to read statements of support. Thank you.
You are welcome.

Firstly, I have to say I'm still oposed to the death penalty, even in this case. With regards to Norwegians, recent polls show that there's still about 78 % oposition to the death penatly, even after a tragedy like this.

Secondly, this issue of 21 years in prison have been repeated a lot. It's not precise. What will most likely happen is that he will be sentenced to 15 or 21 years detention (different legal term in Norway), and this form of penalty is generally speaking designed for a criminal that's deemed an extreme threat to society. When the first 15 or 21 years are served, a court will decide wether or not there is danger of repeat offences. In essense, it means a court will decide wether or not he shall be kept in detention for another 15 or 21 years. After those 15 or 21 years, there will be another hearing. It's related to the idea of rehabilitation, as we generally speaking think of prisons as institutions of rehabilitation.

However, I don't think there's any danger mr. Breivik will be let out in his lifetime. He will die in jail. I don't think it devalues the lives of the dead, I think it honors the lives of the dead that we're still the same society.

So its like the reverse of our system, almost. We would say "life without possibility of parole", you say "21 years with the possibility of 21 more years, ad infinitum". How would he ever prove himself rehabilitated? He wrote a 1500 page manifesto, and obviously this act took a long time to plan. I just wonder if he actually has a chance to get out, or if that is just for show.

With regards to the question of wether or not this can be likened with the way in which the United States have used detention without trial in Guantanamo, I feel the comparison is somewhat inaccurate. Firstly, it's not detention without trial. The extensions will be tried by a court. Secondly, there is a trial to begin with. Thirdly, he will not be stripped of his civil rights and his human rights. He will not be tortured or be tricked to believe he's going to get shot. He won't sit in a cage like an animal either.

So no, I don't think the comparison is accurate.

Good points. While I don't support torture, I also think you should surrender some rights when you are incarcerated. Do you allow inmates to vote? Just curious.

Well, then they'd have to knock on many farm doors. So I don't think there will be much more security checks, other than a general feeling that someone suspicious buying large amounts of fertilizer might get checked out. Too many farmers to limit the sale and purchase of fertilizer, though.

We have a lot of farmers too. I think you vet those people once and be done with it. Its the guy that is a reclusive WoW player buying 6 tons of fertilizer you should probably focus on anyway. :)

Different cultures. I suppose there's a belief that the broadcasting of trials may lead to a less dignified process. With regards to photographing a suspect in transit, it's probably a safeguard for stopping the courts from pre-judging a suspect outside the courts. As a means, it's highly ineffective, as that's the only time you need premission to photograph anyone in Norway.

I asked about this because obviously, a case like this is a big deal - getting one of a few seats in the courtroom is nigh on impossible. Doesn't the rest of the public that cannot be accommodated in the courtroom have a great interest in this case?

So its like the reverse of our system, almost. We would say "life without possibility of parole", you say "21 years with the possibility of 21 more years, ad infinitum". How would he ever prove himself rehabilitated? He wrote a 1500 page manifesto, and obviously this act took a long time to plan. I just wonder if he actually has a chance to get out, or if that is just for show.
No, he will never get out. This man will never be trusted by a Norwegian court. That is, of course, if he isn't decleared legally insane and kept in an institution for the rest of his life.

Good points. While I don't support torture, I also think you should surrender some rights when you are incarcerated. Do you allow inmates to vote? Just curious.
We allow inmates to vote, if I am not mistaken. Tbh., it's a theme I've never seen debated, but I can't find anything to indicate that convicts - in and out prison - can't vote. Personally, I'm of the opinion that no action should be taken against a prisoner that isn't aimed at
a. Guarding society from the individual
b. Proves nessesary to prison safety
c. Works as a deterrant.

Now, I don't see how denying convicts the vote would be of importance to any of those. You do lose one human right, the right of freedom. Which is probably more important than most.

We have a lot of farmers too. I think you vet those people once and be done with it. Its the guy that is a reclusive WoW player buying 6 tons of fertilizer you should probably focus on anyway. :)
Well, he was a registred farmer. Playing World of Warcraft really doesn't enter into it.

I asked about this because obviously, a case like this is a big deal - getting one of a few seats in the courtroom is nigh on impossible. Doesn't the rest of the public that cannot be accommodated in the courtroom have a great interest in this case?
Yes, which is why we allow reporting the facts of the case, and in normal circumstances, the case documents are public documents. Right now, the proceedings have been kept closed because they fear him communicating to other alleged 'cells'. They are still pursuing the possibility there's more like him out there, so they want to keep their cards close to their chest. But when the case is investigated and goes to trial, it will probably be public.

I think the difference lies in how we view the process. We don't think the actual voice of the vitness is that important when it's reported, we just report the facts.

Edit: As for the Salon article, I think there's a part of Norwegian politics that's quite descriptive. For decades, groups who want armed revolution in Norway has gotten public money, as they were political parties. It's quite legal to want armed revolution in Norway. But armed revolution isn't.

Last edited:
We allow inmates to vote, if I am not mistaken. Tbh., it's a theme I've never seen debated, but I can't find anything to indicate that convicts - in and out prison - can't vote. Personally, I'm of the opinion that no action should be taken against a prisoner that isn't aimed at
a. Guarding society from the individual
b. Proves nessesary to prison safety
c. Works as a deterrant.

Now, I don't see how denying convicts the vote would be of importance to any of those. You do lose one human right, the right of freedom. Which is probably more important than most.

You could perhaps make a case for A, as a person in prison presumably does not have society's best interests in mind (he is incarcerated because he harmed society in some way). Voting has political impact, however small. But this is not on topic.

What is on topic, is my condolences to Norway. I've always seen it as one of the most "together" countries as far as stability, so I can understand that this must be a huge shock to some.

You could perhaps make a case for A, as a person in prison presumably does not have society's best interests in mind (he is incarcerated because he harmed society in some way). Voting has political impact, however small.
Well, in the United States, the prison population is of some size. But I still don't think it'll have too much of an impact. We'll have to keep in mind that a lot of offenders aren't the proverbial mass murderer. And I don't think governments are thinking of legalising burglary to get the convict vote.. :)

But this is not on topic.
True enough.

What is on topic, is my condolences to Norway. I've always seen it as one of the most "together" countries as far as stability, so I can understand that this must be a huge shock to some.
Thank you.