British equivalent to American words (or vise versa)

Theres loads for Police,
Dibbles, the Fuzz, Bobbies, Peelers (last two derive from Robert Peel), Rozzers and loads more I can't remember right now.

A few more

Fall-Autumn
Bride-Backhander
Great-The bees knees
Corrupt-Bent
Gay-Bent
Drunk-Bladdered

We use both Fall and Autumn in the US. I have also heard "The Bees Knees" here.

SO, SHRIMP ON THE BARBIE, EH?...oh wait, wrong thread. :p

As for "shag"...
The term shag or shagging is also used in New England, Boston North, to refer to the act of retrieving shopping carts from the parking lots of retail and grocery stores. "Can you go out and shag the lot?"
Wow, I've never heard of that term before used like that.
"'Shagwell' by name, shag very well by reputation!"

BlaRo said:
SO, SHRIMP ON THE BARBIE, EH?...oh wait, wrong thread. :p

As for "shag"...
The term shag or shagging is also used in New England, Boston North, to refer to the act of retrieving shopping carts from the parking lots of retail and grocery stores. "Can you go out and shag the lot?"
Wow, I've never heard of that term before used like that.
"'Shagwell' by name, shag very well by reputation!"

Do you not have to put a dollar into American shopping trolleys (oh there is another one) as a deposit so you return your trolley or do they just like shagging in public.

Do you use wee for urine in America?
Us Brits are also very imaginative for euphemisms for Penis.
We have willy, percy, dick, cock, John Thomas, Meat and two veg, love truncheon, pork sword, pecker, pirate of mens pants, I could go on.

zaybxcwd12 said:
Do you not have to put a dollar into American shopping trolleys (oh there is another one) as a deposit so you return your trolley or do they just like shagging in public.
That's only in a few stores (Aldi for one), and nobody really does that anymore.

peter3hg2 said:
We have willy, percy, dick, cock, John Thomas, Meat and two veg, love truncheon, pork sword, pecker, pirate of mens pants, I could go on.
Nobody really uses "wee" in America. I do, but I'm weird. Many people say "take a whizz" or "piss", or the good ol' "I gotta pee".

And :lol: at "love truncheon" and "pork sword"! I need to start saying that now! "One-eyed snake" is a good one from America as well.

We have slang for slang Example

Jacobs for Crackers which is rhyming slang for knackers which translates to nuts.

Broke - Skint
2 Weeks - Fortnight
Semester - Term

Has nobody mentioned Season-Series yet?

We use semester/term and season/series with about the same frequency here.

We also were taught fortnight in school, but nobody ever says it in casual discourse. You'll be more likely to find that word in a trivia game in a bar, for example, "how long is a fortnight?".

Drunk = Pissed while I'm on the subject. Although in the US you can be described as "piss drunk". I hear that term a lot, but "pissed" (short for "pissed off") here means to be angry.

peter3hg2 said:

Some American Slang.
Cops:
Smokey
Smokey Bear
Bear
Po-po
Pigs
Pork
Bacon
Fuzz
Coppers (albeit rare nowadays)
Boys in Blue
[insert city/county/state]'s finest
"The Heat"
Feds -- generally reserved for FBI or other federal law enforcement

Penis:
the 21st finger
One eyed monster
Bologna Pony
Meat Pole
Willy
Dick
Johnson
Brat Wurst
Sausage
...and the list keeps going...

As for Turnpikes, originally (when the US was first founded), turnpikes were toll roads owned by private companies. Now adays, turnpikes are government owned, but are still toll roads. Toll Roads work the same way as an Interstate, with limited access and what not, but generally don't cross state lines.

And now my attempt at the whole Interstate, etc.

Road -- any thing a car travels down.
County Road -- A road that is operated/maintained by a county. Generally they are 2-lane roads that off shoot from "Highways" and state roads. In florida, they are denoted with a blue sign with yellow lettering, and typically have 3 numbers.
State Road -- A state road that is usually an offshoot of a US Highway. In Florida (and most states I believe), the road is marked with a picture of the state, with either a 2 or 3 digit number.
Florida.gif

US Highway -- A road that crosses the country. These are typically maintained by the state, as evidenced in the way the pavement suddenly changes when you go into another state. These are noted with a special marker that is uniform across the nation. It is a white (sheild?) with a 1, 2, or 3 digit number. US Highways are typically the thoroughfare in many comunaties. They vary from 2 to 8 lanes, depending on the town. Not all US Highways stretch across more than one state (US 92, for example, is only in Central Florida). Route 66 is the most famous example.
600px-US_92.svg.png

Freeway -- Any free, limited access Highway. These can either be US Highways or Interstates.
Interstates -- Limited Access Highways. Most Interstates cross state lines, and traverse the country. Interstates were built by order of Dwight D. Eisenhower to provide a faster and more reliable method to travel to and from the ends of the continental 48. Some Interstates are turnpikes, but most are freeways.

Interstate numbering system:
1 or 2 digits -- The main highway that passes from state to state.
3 digits, first digit odd number -- this is an offshoot from the main highway that typically leads (and ends) to the center of a city.
3 digits, first digit even number -- this is an offshoot from the main highway that typically loops around a city (which is why Hawaii's Interstate is a 3 digit road :p)
i95.gif

I-10 is the longest Interstate, stretching from Jacksonville, FL to someplace in CA (I'm tired, I forget). I-95 is longest North to south Interstate, iirc, running from close to the Maine/Canada border to Miami, FL.

Interstates are at a minimum, 4-lane divided highways. For every 5 miles of Interstate, there must be 1 mile of straight road. This is so the highway may be converted into a make shift runway for military aircraft (it was designed by "Ike", what do you expect?)

llpc60 said:
isnt

underwear - pants ?

(pants in the microwave joke?)
Can be, can also be your smalls, undercrackers, gruds and various others.

A Bypass or Dual Carriageway are the more common terms but they won't be on par with a US highway. Only two lanes on each side and 70mph speed limit.
Heres some examples of UK roads to help
B or Unclassified road
moor1.jpg

A road
manlev49_A6_albertrd_jcn.jpg

Dual Carriageway (these are actually A roads as well)
dual_carriageway_england_720.jpg

Motorway
Motorway.jpg

An interstate is a highway that goes through more than one state. Hence, inter-state.

For the police you forgot "Five-oh" taken from the old TV series "Hawaii Five-O".

An interstate is a highway that goes through more than one state. Hence, inter-state.

Often, but not always. Especially when you get to bypasses near major metro areas. I-170, I-370 and I-355 are three I can think of off hand that do not cross state lines.