Buick lineup new, Cadillac lineup news, Hummer H4 news, etc

jetsetter

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1997 BMW 528i
Buick lineup to get Chinese-infusion

Judging by the positive reception the Chinese-marketed Buicks have been receiving here in the States, GM would be ill-advised to continue offering the same warmed-over products that it's been selling over the past decade. According to Automotive News, the General sees the writing on the wall and intends to go global with the new look of Buick, originally shown at the Shanghai Motor Show in the shape of the Riviera concept.

The idea is to make Buick an affordable luxury brand here in the States, and it has plans on offering a number of new vehicles to the U.S. market that will take on the high-end competitors from Japan.

To begin with, the Excelle, a small sedan, is set to be released sometime in 2008, based off the Alpha platform currently under development in Germany, while the next iteration of the LaCrosse will come in 2009 and will be based off of GM's Epsilon 2 underpinnings. The Lucerne will get a full makeover in 2011 and will be built around the RWD Zeta platform, and the Rainier, Rendezvous and Terraza will die off after the current production run, and replaced with the new Enclave.

Buick's move to become more things to more people is the only way the marque will survive, and judging by what's in the pipeline, the automaker actually has a chance at success.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/07/30/buick-lineup-to-get-chinese-infusion/

Hummer H4 no longer just a concept vehicle

Hummer dealers from around the nation recently gathered in California to attend the annual Hummer All-Dealer meeting. The meeting showcases upcoming products such as the Hummer H3 Alpha and the upgraded 2008 Hummer H2, as well longer term concepts like the H3T and HX. HX is the name Hummer has given to the most heavily rumored concept vehicle which will be designed to compete with the Jeep Wrangler ? some are calling it the H4. Whatever name you want to call it, it?s coming. Martin Walsh, Hummer?s General Manager, used the meeting to officially announce that the HX will be available at dealerships in 2010 as a 2011 model, and is no longer just a concept vehicle. Walsh went one step further, but opening a curtain revealing the HX to the lucky few at the meeting. GM reps were on hand to make sure attendees wouldn?t even remove cell phones, which may have picture capabilities, from their pocket. However, we?ve got a pretty good description.
The first impression of the two door and four seating HX is unmistakably a Hummer. This is mainly due to the design of the front, incorporating similar grille, headlights, and bumper designs from previous Hummer models. The high metal to glass ratio, and design of the doors also kept Hummer?s iconic design. Overall, the vehicle was much shorter in overall height and wheelbase and appeared more car-like than its larger counterparts. The model shown had very large, aggressive tires, which may or may not be standard (most likely not). Some of the most unique abilities of the Hummer HX are the removable panels. The two doors are completely removable, as well are panels on the roof. The model on display had everything intact, so it would be hard to tell what kind of open air feeling the removable panels give you ? and whether it feels more like a convertible or a T-top. Also removable are the fender flares, which can be taken off to lessen the likelihood of damage during off-roading. The rear of the HX will have an optional slant back, similar to the original Humvee option. ?The vehicle almost looked like an enclosed dune buggy with big aggressive tires and exposed shocks,? said one attendee, ?And it didn?t have a cheap, flimsy-looking exterior like a Wrangler.?
The Hummer HX will be the 5th vehicle in Hummer?s lineup, since the fourth vehicle, the H3T will be making its debut at dealerships in the Summer of 08. Unfortunately, we have another three years to see the Hummer HX (H4?) produced.

http://www.hummerguy.net/hummer-news/hummer-h4-no-longer-just-a-concept-vehicle

Cadillac nixing the barges, introducing new BRX CUV and RWD sedans

For eons, the image of a Cadillac ingrained into our minds was that of an XL cruiser wafting down the highway consuming asphalt and small rodents without complaint. That perspective is set to change, as Cadillac plans to drop the slow-selling STS and DTS models, and instead focus its efforts on creating another CUV, a new mid-sized sedan and an entry-level RWD offering.

The plans to redesign the SRX crossover have been nixed due to poor sales, and in its place a new V6-powered, five-passenger CUV, likely to be dubbed the BRX, will go on sale in 2009. More importantly, Cadillac plans to focus its sporting credentials by expanding the CTS lineup to include both a wagon and a coupe, all in an effort to sway consumers interested in the segment-leading BMW 3-series.

Going after the Bavarian boys won't be easy, so in addition to the expansion of the CTS line, Cadillac's replacement for the STS and DTS will take aim at the BMW 5-series, with a high-performance RWD sedan. That, coupled with a proposed entry-level sedan will round out the new Cadillac lineup.

Although the Automotive News article doesn't cite a timeframe for this somewhat radical proposal, we'd expect to see some of Cadillac's new wares popping up in quick order, beginning in Detroit next year.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/07/30/cadillac-nixing-the-barges-introducing-new-brx-cuv-and-rwd-seda/

GM's future involves a new CUV in 2011

Stricter mileage standards being voted on by the government is already taking its toll on automakers like GM, which now have to shift focus onto smaller and more fuel efficient vehicles. Traditional bread winners such as big heavy SUVs are being phased out by a new generation of smaller and more car-like crossover models.

To ensure that it can retain buyers downsizing from large SUVs to more fuel-efficient models, GM will be introducing a new compact crossover to essentially replace the Pontiac Torrent (pictured). However, under its new brand strategy, Pontiac will be strictly for cars while GMC will be responsible for truck sales, which means the new model will be branded as a Buick or Chevrolet.

It isn't the end of the road yet for GM's full-sized SUV models. Vehicles like the Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon SUV will be equipped with hybrid options to ensure they continue beyond the current generations. The Acadia large CUV is also planned to receive a V8 in a couple of years, while the Envoy SUV from GMC will likely suffer the same fate as the Trailblazer.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/07/30/gms-future-involves-a-new-cuv-in-2011/

Crossover-utility-vehicle?

But seriously, a Wrangler sized Hummer sounds interesting.

Yea that could turn out really well. The H3 just doesn't cut it, it's said to be great offroad but also tries to be a luxury vehicle which it fails miserably at. The Xterra is a much better all-rounder. But a cheap focused truck or SUV is the way route to take for Hummer.

Hummer buggy? Oh yes, but it needs guns!

And they couldn't bring the Chinese Park Avenue over in the meantime? Or is that what they plan to do when they move the horrible Lucerne up to Zeta?

Sounds like Buick has potential to not be a complete pile of crap by 2011. I like the Riviera concept, though I'm sure they'll water it down into a depressing, boring design that no one will care to buy.

Punisher: Sounds to me like the Chinese Park Avenue ain't going to happen at all in the US. The 2011 Lucerne will be a Zeta based car.

I'm confused on the Cadillac line-up. The CTS is technically a 5-series competitor based on it's size, so why are they making another 5-series to compete? It's good to hear they are working on a smaller RWD car as well, something GM seriously needs.

Too bad they still seem to be concentrating heavily on SUV/CUV things.

^ At least they're trying to transition to smaller stuff like CUVs rather than continue making more larger SUVs. You can't just drop SUVs altogether. That would be GM shooting themselves in the foot again. I always thought of the CTS as more of a 3-series competitor (I think that was GM's benchmark), although the CTS-V makes 5-series power.

The current Buick Excelle is a rebadged Daewoolet Lacetti/Suzuki Verona, so they'd better do a good job on the next one. I'm staggered as to why the current American Lacrosse even exists, when the Chinese one is so bone-crushingly superior. It's not all smooth sailing in China though... their Buick minivan is still crude and rough. Still, this is the right course to take.

To begin with, the Excelle, a small sedan, is set to be released sometime in 2008, based off the Alpha platform currently under development in Germany...

I thought Holden were working on the Alpha platform

^ At least they're trying to transition to smaller stuff like CUVs rather than continue making more larger SUVs. You can't just drop SUVs altogether. That would be GM shooting themselves in the foot again.

The way the article is written, they make it sound as if GM is still putting a lot of effort in their SUV's.

The way the article is written, they make it sound as if GM is still putting a lot of effort in their SUV's.

Well, all they mention is that they are making a hybrid SUV, old news. The whole V8 thing is also old.

Last edited:
I thought Holden were working on the Alpha platform

Holden is owned my GM. Opel is owned by GM. Opel is German. The Alpha platform is under development in Germany by Opel. Opel and Holden share a lot of the same vehicles.

Holden is owned my GM. Opel is owned by GM. Opel is German. The Alpha platform is under development in Germany by Opel. Opel and Holden share a lot of the same vehicles.

I'm aware of that, but zeta had nothing to do with opel

^ At least they're trying to transition to smaller stuff like CUVs rather than continue making more larger SUVs. You can't just drop SUVs altogether. That would be GM shooting themselves in the foot again. I always thought of the CTS as more of a 3-series competitor (I think that was GM's benchmark), although the CTS-V makes 5-series power.

The CTS really is much closer in size to the 5 series than the 3 series, even though it's priced to compete with the 3er.

Punisher: Sounds to me like the Chinese Park Avenue ain't going to happen at all in the US. The 2011 Lucerne will be a Zeta based car.

I know the Lucerne will move to the Zeta platform, but given how lazy Buick has been for so damn long, I can't see them making a whole new car based on it. I see them just basically rebadging another Zeta car and making a few small changes.

H4... bah!
I'll take a Jeep anyday of the week. Also, if the H4 has IFS it immediately fails.

H4... bah!
I'll take a Jeep anyday of the week. Also, if the H4 has IFS it immediately fails.

Jeep is going that route as well, only the Wrangler remains. But 4WD is no longer standard on the Wrangler. In fact, it seems 4WD is not standard on anything in Jeep's lineup anymore. Every Hummer you see is 4WD and the almighty HMMWV/Humvee/H1 is know for it's independent suspension.

But I will agree, straight axles are the way to go, if you're serious.

Last edited:
Maybe with the new Zeta platform, they could bring a new Roadmaster wagon! I think that would be awesome.

I fully expect the H4 to be like the H2 and H3 - all show and no go. The H2 is woefully pathetic offroad and the H3 isn't any better despite their "Tough Truck" look. That mention of "high metal to glass ratio" does not bode well - limited visibility is a major handicap when wheeling.