Building A Dream v2.0

That may be the first time the word 'elegance' has ever been used to describe winning in NASCAR. :p

The simplest solution is often elegant in form.

Start off with a Ford Cortina Mk.3 GXL.

2788652603_346c11bcf6.jpg

- Stripped all the parts off to do a ground up modernization work.
- Original suspension will be replace by new one design from ground up, or at least use one from Sierra Sapphire Cosworth, but it gotta be independent all around.
- The chassis will have to be modified to fit the new suspension. So let's do the strengthening as well.
- Better brakes.
- The hub will also be modified to fit the original Ro Style wheels.
- Modern tyres.
- The chassis will receive some modern rust proofing, it was the rust that killed these things.
- The original Pinto OHC 2 Litre engine will be replace by the Ecoboost 2 Litre from current Ford Mondeo, then mated with a new modern 6 Speed Manual of some sort.
- It'll have all new wiring loom and electronics.
- New interior trims that looks original, also original (or close to) style leather (or Fabric, I don't mind) seats.
- Original looking stereo that actually is all modern inside.
- Replace all the trims and chrome works, the exterior will looks exactly the same. (Although it might have a different stance, wider track and lower, because of suspension mods).
- If possible, all new body panels.
- Gene Hunt's Cortina paint. Or maybe brown in the pic above.
- Oh, and keep the vinyl roof!

And I'll happily use this everyday.

Last edited:
1979 Lincoln Town Car
About 500lbs of additional sound deadning.
Either a Citroen-like hydraulic suspension or just a air-ride setup.
Modern but low key stereo/nav/controls.
And a 12 valve, 5.9l cummins turbo diesel, tastefully modified.

That reminds me -

Take one of these:

Add one of these:

(GM Vortec 8100 - 496 cubic inches, 340hp, 455ft/lbs of torque)

And hook it up to either a 5 speed Allison automatic gearbox or a 6 speed unit. TBH though, the car would probably be just fine with a 4 speed.

Upgrade the brakes to 4 wheel vented discs, and replace the seats with something a wee bit more supportive.

RX-7 R2, such as this:

RightFrontShot.jpg

Stock body, mildly built suspension, some pair of nice properly 90s monoblock wheels. Probably Fikse.

This engine:

20B. This one is peripheral port. I would probably do a less aggressive pport, with ITBs; something that makes a lot of power in the 4-7,500rpm range. Nice fat mid-range punch and telepathic throttle response. Probably about 380bhp/275tq, which is less than the extreme pports, but I won't have to wind it up to 10,000rpm+ either. I've ridden in an FD with *only* 330bhp, and it was a rocketship. An n/a 20b would be both lighter and make more power.

And to finish it off, a mostly stock interior, with the exception of this tach in the factory cluster:
st400.jpg

Last edited:
RX-7 R2, such as this:

Stock body, mildly built suspension, some pair of nice properly 90s monoblock wheels. Probably Fikse.

This engine:

20B. This one is peripheral port. I would probably do a less aggressive pport, with ITBs; something that makes a lot of power in the 4-7,500rpm range. Nice fat mid-range punch and telepathic throttle response. Probably about 380bhp/275tq, which is less than the extreme pports, but I won't have to wind it up to 10,000rpm+ either. I've ridden in an FD with *only* 330bhp, and it was a rocketship. An n/a 20b would be both lighter and make more power.

And to finish it off, a mostly stock interior, with the exception of this tach in the factory cluster:

You, Sir, deserves my admiration.

Add one of these:

(GM Vortec 8100 - 496 cubic inches, 340hp, 455ft/lbs of torque)

Why not a 502 crate engine? Less weight due the aluminum top end and a lot more horsepower and torque, over 100 extra lb ft of torque actually. That would really help get a beast like that moving.

Why not a 502 crate engine? Less weight due the aluminum top end and a lot more horsepower and torque, over 100 extra lb ft of torque actually. That would really help get a beast like that moving.

If I really wanted mad power and torque, I would have gone with this:

Like this guy did -
[video=youtube;1Kl-XS4_9jU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kl-XS4_9jU[/video]

But 1: I want fuel injection; and 2: it's a Cadillac. I don't want a lumpy idle or an engine that makes its peak torque at 3/4K rpm.

Here - have another vid of the 572 Caddy:

A 1970 dodge charger, black
black 16" widened steelies with chrome dog dish hubcaps
complete body made in carbon fiber,
front suspension from a viper, with rack and pinion steering, rear suspension a 4 link live axle, with coilover springs
426 hemi under the hood + 5 speed manual
black leather interior

If I really wanted mad power and torque, I would have gone with this:

Like this guy did -
[video=youtube;1Kl-XS4_9jU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kl-XS4_9jU[/video]

But 1: I want fuel injection; and 2: it's a Cadillac. I don't want a lumpy idle or an engine that makes its peak torque at 3/4K rpm.

Here - have another vid of the 572 Caddy:

I only suggested it because a few more ponies would help motivate what has to be close to a 6,000lb car. And the 502 can be had with fuel injection right out of the box.

12499121.jpg

GM_Big_Block_Ram_Jet_502_Dyno_Chart.jpg

I'm fascinated by those videos though, converting a FWD caddy to RWD, since the Deville/DTS were basically twins to my Park Avenue.

1979 Lincoln Town Car
About 500lbs of additional sound deadning.
Either a Citroen-like hydraulic suspension or just a air-ride setup.
Modern but low key stereo/nav/controls.
And a 12 valve, 5.9l cummins turbo diesel, tastefully modified.
... I see what you're doing with the first bit, but having driven a 12v, the only thing it gets you is enough grunt to haul all that weight around. It certainly isn't stately. A much more fitting solution would seem to be a very large displacement V8 gasoline engine.

... I see what you're doing with the first bit, but having driven a 12v, the only thing it gets you is enough grunt to haul all that weight around. It certainly isn't stately. A much more fitting solution would seem to be a very large displacement V8 gasoline engine.

I've had two 70s Lincoln's with the 460 and always felt they drove like diesels, all the power down low, very low revving. I guess the modern cummins would be a nicer choice as its so much smoother and quieter, but I like the idea of how you can tune the 12 valve to 500hp, 1000ft-lbs pretty easily.

I've had two 70s Lincoln's with the 460 and always felt they drove like diesels, all the power down low, very low revving. I guess the modern cummins would be a nicer choice as its so much smoother and quieter, but I like the idea of how you can tune the 12 valve to 500hp, 1000ft-lbs pretty easily.

You might be interested in these videos then.

An el cheapo rebuild of a 460 http://www.powerblocktv.com/player/show_player.php?ep_num=HP2009-04&ep_show=HP
And then a high hp build with the same shortblock http://www.powerblocktv.com/player/show_player.php?ep_num=HP2009-09&ep_show=HP
http://www.powerblocktv.com/player/show_player.php?ep_num=HP2009-10&ep_show=HP

Last edited:
Start with one of these.

02-dynacorn-1967-mustang-convertible.jpg

If you don't know what that is, it's a brand new reproduction 1967 Mustang convertible body shell from a company called Dynacorn. A few years ago they came out with a 69 Camaro body shell and since then they've been slowing expanding their catalog. They do all of the first gen F-Bodies, 65-70 Mustangs, 70 Chevelle, 70 Challenger, and more. The great thing about these bodies is that not only are they made with all new modern metal alloys, they're actually stronger than the originals were since they use a thicker gauge as well, they're also fully licensed by Ford/GM/Chrysler. They're not cheap, but how can you put a price on not having to dick around with a 50 year old rusted and rotted out body?

Anyway, once it was unloaded, out comes the plasma cutter and everything north of the firewall would be going away. The reason for this is that even the most die hard Mustang fans will tell you the front suspension on them was seven shades of suck, the huge shock towers also make fitting a lot of engines a nigh impossible task. So instead of just doing a Mustang II transplant like a lot of people have, I'll have something from Art Morrison put in its place, I'd also want an IRS installed instead of the standard 9 inch. Like with my GSX, the inside and underside would be coated in Line-X so rust will never be an issue.

What I'm going for is something like Eleanor was in the Gone In 60 Seconds remake, and I don't mean that I want to have my own Eleanor like so many others, I mean I want a GT500 that was heavily customized by its owner for their own personal taste. While this is a 67, I want the front end from a 68 GT500KR, the reason for this is Dynacorn doesn't make a drop top version of the 68 yet. I just like the big mouth look it has vs all the other Mustangs of the era. It wouldn't be a direct copy though, I'd change the lights out, shave and tuck in the bumper, add a chin spoiler, and totally redo everything below the bumper line.

Ford-Mustang_Shelby_GT500_KR_1968_1600x1200_wallpaper_01.jpg

I want a ton of custom body work done, and I want it done in metal instead of just gluing on fiberglass bits like the original cars had. If you've ever seen an original unrestored Shelby, the panel gaps and alignment is down right scary. I would extend the fender flairs out far enough to cover the 10 and 8 inch wide wheels, but I don't want them to look too radical, if the rear of the car has to be tubbed then so be it. I would widen the now functional side scoops by 1/2 inch to help capture more air, I also want small chrome trim to outline the top and sides (not the bottom) of the hood scoops. Shave the antenna, replace the door handles, find a different style of hood pins, and just make sure all panel gaps are tight and body panels line up like a mirror.

The basket handle would go away since the Art Morrison kit restored enough rigidity to the body. I would also have all SHELBY and Cobra logos countersunk for a really unique custom touch. The paint would be black with standard style Shelby Rally stripes going over the top of the car and along the rocker panels. However they would be sprayed on the car and then buried under the clear coat instead of using a vinyl stripe kit.

ford_mustang_shelby_gt500_emblem5_10.jpg

Under the hood would go one of the new Ford supercharged 5.8's from the current GT500 along with a 6 speed Tremec. And of course there would be a big brake kit installed to make sure the car can stop. Wheels would be a set of Centerlines.

2013-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-5-8-liter-supercharged-engine_100372703_m.jpg

184-055703540.jpg

The interior would again be much like the GSX with Recaro seats and various custom touched, but most of the interior would be restyled because I think the original is ugly as sin.

So I would end up with an all new 67 Shelby GT500, while it clearly wouldn't be an authentic Shelby, I wouldn't care. It would not be presented as the real deal nor did I mutilate an example of a real Shelby, so I don't foresee anyone getting their panties in a bunch about it. I have the car I want that's built up to modern standards and could possibly blow the doors off of the current GT500.

I wonder why he went with the LSX instead of an LS1/2/3? I would think he'd want to stick with an aluminum block instead of the heavy iron LSX version.