Camaro ZL-What? 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 delivers 650 HP and 200 MPH straight from Ford

Probably. It was making 650HP back then in 2009.

The new Viper will be nuts.

And now you will need to install turbo/super chargers on your Viper to compensate. :p

It would be pretty funny if they ended up undercutting the ZL1 by $6,000, but I have a feeling this new car's gonna be more expensive than the old model.

I don't know about the ZL1's price. It's already peaking into Corvette territory. I don't think there is much point in GM taking the Camaro any higher than the upcoming ZL1, since they have the Corvette for serious performance, around corners and in a straight line.

Soooo remember the bitching and complaining that new CAFE standards are going to kill fun cars? Yeah...

Still far to cheap to do any significant aero work.

Not really. Keep in mind that they have Ford Racing to draw on and the Mustang is a very popular road and drag racer. Ford Racing Mustangs can hit 200 out on tracks, and their aero packages have been well worked out in advance.

This sort of thing has been done before to great effect with the 'cheap' Mustang - see the 2000 Cobra R.

I think this mostly a reaction to the fact that the standard GT is dangerously close to the current GT500 in terms of performance.

Go to 2:00 in this video:

Now the GT obviously has a 50 shot of nitrous, but that's not all that much.

I don't see the point; it's just too much power for a muscle car. I would rather they developed this engine for a Ford GT replacement.

Chevlolet Camalol ZLOL

The thing is, this will probably be at the expense of a turbo Fiesta or Focus.

The US is getting a turbo Focus ST, that has been confirmed, what the price will be and the final US hp and MPG isn't though.

I don't see the point; it's just too much power for a muscle car. I would rather they developed this engine for a Ford GT replacement.

You know, 500 HP use to be considered way too much for a high performance sport car like the Ferraris. Too much power is like too much fun. There is no such thing.

Though I really only see the GT as being an occasional halo car for Ford. I don't really see them making a long-term exclusive high-end car. Though, with the Viper coming back, there isn't a reason Ford couldn't, or rather, shouldn't.

There is never too much power for a muscle car, that's the point. :p

But there's already a turbo'd F-150 for sale. 2012 F-150s can have the 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, and I believe that's the base engine.

I know, Ecoboost is available in both vehicles I mentioned (explorer may still be pending)

What I mean is this crazy high HP car can owe itself partially to the downsizing of engines in recent years. Most notably large vehicles like the F-150 and Explorer.

There is never too much power for a muscle car, that's the point. :p

Yeah, no.

Uh...yes, because 650hp is supercar/hypercar territory. A muscle car should have ample power, but this is just too much for a Mustang (at least from the factory, tuners can do whatever they want). Again, I would much rather they saved this engine for the a Ford GT replacement (with the new 'Vette and Viper coming out, it would make sense for Ford to get back in the supercar game). I know they have to compete with the ZL1, but out HPing it by 70? Too much (10 or 20 more would suffice, no?).