Camaro ZL-What? 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 delivers 650 HP and 200 MPH straight from Ford

It's simple marketing, if you have a good car you tell people about it. Otherwise, you end up with Suzuki.

Ford feel the need to paint their performance cars as the under dog, with phrases of the form "our cheap car is as good as a very expensive car (in one specific way)". It doesn't matter than the Lambo they're comparing the Mustang to is far better in every other way, because they have the same top speed... neatly ignoring that the Lambo wasn't even designed for top speed.

I know why they do it, they're trying to play on the idea of a cheap 'working mans' American car being as good as some European exotica, but it's disingenuous marketing B.S.

Last edited:
Ford feel the need to paint their performance cars as the under dog, with phrases of the form "our cheap car is as good as a very expensive car (in one specific way)". It doesn't matter than the Lambo they're comparing the Mustang to is far better in every other way, because they have the same top speed... neatly ignoring that the Lambo wasn't even designed for top speed.

I know why they do it, they're trying to play on the idea of a cheap 'working mans' American car being as good as some European exotica, but it's disingenuous marketing B.S.

Well actually it was Jalopnik that made that specific comparison, but even so, they aren't saying the car is as good, just as fast, which is the real achievement with this car: exotic top speed for a relatively cheap price. For some that might equate to "just as good", but not Ford nor Jalopnik can be held responsible for what people end up reading into a simple speed comparison.

It's simple marketing, if you have a good car you tell people about it. Otherwise, you end up with Suzuki.

hayabusa_wheelie_iom_original.jpg

Last edited:
As an avid GM fan, I want this thing soo much. That exact car in Grabber Blue, but make the black stripes matte and I'll take it. :D

From what I have heard the Ford GT has an incredibly well built bottom end and could handle more boost than it came with from the factory.

One of the GTs built for the mile makes 1,800rwhp on the stock bottom end. :mrgreen:

Wow, the stock bottom end can last for a whole eight seconds with that much power? :tease:

Mute the audio, the poster put some really crappy music over the video.

The actual run:

Seems to be a bit more than eight seconds. This one has 1900 horsepower and hit 267mph in the standing mile. 41psi and a stock GT bottom end.

There's a reason K?enigseggseggseggseggseggabbaseggseggseggseggikeaseggseggsegg chose the Ford modular motor for their cars.

$55,000 for a 650 hp monster ?!?!

This is a sin to say, but I honestly think that is too much power for the Mustang chassis. I think SVT should be focusing on vast weight savings instead of huge power. Instead of roughly 4,000lbs car with 650hp, why can't we have a 3,000lbs car with 450hp? The latter would be just as fast, but better in every other way. More fuel efficient, better braking, better handling, and most of all while the power to weight ratio would be similar, the power to tire size would be far less, making it much easier to cope with the power. Light weight ftw.

So yeah, I think I'd have a Boss 302 as well. Just not the hideous LS edition.

The car with less horsepower would not be faster. Top end speed is determined by it's aero drag and the power to get it there. Less weight would make it quicker./pedantic.

If I recall the top speed run guys are known to sometimes load extra weight onto their cars for stability at high speeds. Weight only matters for grip and acceleration. Top speed makes weight irrelevant. Not that I think the mustang should be primarily built for top speed runs or anything, just saying.

But I thought the new Mustangs went on a big diet and were around 3300 lbs?

I suppose I should have said 'just as accelerative.' Top speed is largely irrelevant to 99% of drivers.

When it comes to actually doing it, I'd agree. When it comes to bragging about it, it matters a lot.

For those who find 650 hp is a little bit limp wristed, there is now the Shelby 1000, featuring 1000 hp for $150'000.
Shelby American has announced the most powerful Shelby yet will debut at the New York Auto Show next week.

Called the Shelby 1000, the special edition Mustang is based on a 2012 Ford Shelby GT500 and puts out a thumping 950 hp (708 kW / 963 PS) as a street-legal version and 1,100 hp (820 kW / 1115 PS) for the track only version.
"Carroll Shelby is a visionary who has pushed the boundaries of performance his entire life," said John Luft, president of Shelby American. "He challenged the Shelby American team to develop the Shelby 1000 and wanted to unveil this amazing new Shelby at the New York Auto Show celebrating 50 years since he unveiled the very first Shelby Cobra that changed the face of high performance. We will have that very car, Cobra #1 (CSX2000) along with Shelby 1000 on display in our Shelby American booth in New York."

Starting with Ford's 5.4 liter V8 stripped down to the block, Shelby American engineers added new connecting rods, crank and pistons. Then the team gas flowed the heads, upgraded the cooling and exhaust, replaced the supercharger and fine tuned it.
Other upgrades include 6 piston calipers up front and 4 piston in the rear while the suspension includes new struts, sway bars and bushings. A new solid driveshaft is connected to a new 9-inch rear end.
Not just for looks, functional aerodynamic body enhancements include the front splitter, hood and rear diffuser.
A limited production of Shelby 1000s will be built, each numbered and documented. The street-legal Shelby 1000 starts at $149,995 and the track S/C version starts at $154,995, not including the base GT500. A completed Shelby 1000 is expected to be approximately $200,000.

4421490542116738437.jpg

Poowwwer... :jc: approves...