Can I get a signed picture?

Us3less

Hello, FinalGear!

I'm new to the forum, but am a huge fan of both Top Gear and the British motor industry. I especially like Noble, a tiny company that managed to take a plastic body made by a toy manufacturer and the engine from a Ford Mondeo and build something that is a very strong competitor to the Porsche 911. (Of course, I'm just being an anorak.)

I am a huge fan of the show, and after watching the bit where a signed picture sold for about five quid on eBay, I wondered if there was any way I could get one myself. :mrgreen:

Of course, as a Septic, there is no way I'm ever going to get to see the show - though I am hoping to see top gear live if it ever comes to Chicago. However, if any of you have a suggestion for someone that I might be able to ask about getting one of these, please let me know.

People whose autographs I would like include:
-Clarkson
-May
-Hammond
-The brilliant man in charge of the Top Gear Technology Center
-Andy Wilman
-The Stig (he speaks ASCII binary, right?)

Not sure you'll get one from Clarkson :)

The first time anyone asked for my autograph, I clung on to her leg for hours thanking her profusely and writing a poem in my own blood to a generosity of spirit.

The millionth time, I wrote my name and followed it up with ?now eff off?. I therefore quite understand why Ringo Starr announced this week that he wouldn?t be signing his name any more, except on cheques to the milkman.

Beware the power tooled Clarkson:

Today, autograph hunters are the bane of my life and I respond to all requests with either a fierce growl or a muted threat of extreme violence using power tools, big dogs and electricity.

Oh and his thoughts on people buying them off eBay:

More weird still are people who collect autographs. They buy them from eBay and send letters to agents.

Why? Because all they end up with is a book full of names of people they don?t know and haven?t met.

They might as well collect numbers from the phone book.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/columnists/clarkson/article1826328.ece

The Stig - I very much doubt it
Andy - I doubt it unless you meet him in person - which is also unlikely
Jeremy - Ebay? or send a letter to his sec
James- same as above
Richard - same as Jezza
The brilliant man in charge of the Top Gear Technology Center - What? lol

Look over on this site. I am pretty sure there will be a place somewhere telling you how to get one. If not, I am sure they will be able to help you if you ask.

http://groups.msn.com/HammondHeaven

Personally I wouldn't have gone all "fanboi" when I was at Dunsfold for a recording few years ago, but having won a DVD in the "Are you a Top Gear Anorak?" Quiz (first ever 10/10 according to Brian Klein the Director apparently) that was already signed by Hammond I kind of felt obliged to get the other two to sign it as well but only as a souvenir of the day.*

James was very gracious and did so, while giving Hammond's picture on the cover horns and a beard, and Clarkson (who is quite humble and self effacing in person and chatted with me over a fag and a cup of tea for five minutes or so away from the crowds, mainly taking the piss out of Richard for being surrounded by girls with cameras) also signed the thing and added an arrow through Hammond's head.

Other than that never really been bothered by the idea of collecting autographs, or having my pic taken with celebs for that matter. They're actually just normal people for the most part and if I were in there shoes would probably find it quite uncomfortable being asked to sign things and have my picture taken next to endless horde of grinning idiots just so they could brag to their friends.

*If you watch the bit with the Alfa Brera in 6x06 the guy in the turban actually brought the DOOR off his racing Ford Mondeo for them to sign!

*If you watch the bit with the Alfa Brera in 6x06 the guy in the turban actually brought the DOOR off his racing Ford Mondeo for them to sign!

I think thats the key really - if you meet them in person and offer them something different/unique to sign you're more likely to get a good result - oh and be nice about it.

I meet a lot of relatively famous people as part of my job but have never felt the urge to get them to sign their name on a bit of a paper - a blank cheque from their bank account maybe - but never a random bit of paper.

I did get Uri Geller to sign a spoon he bent once - but that was later auctioned off for charity.

It's slightly different for me in that it isn't really a particularly professional thing to get someone to sign something in a fanboyish way after you've just interviewed them.

I think thats the key really - if you meet them in person and offer them something different/unique to sign you're more likely to get a good result - oh and be nice about it.

I meet a lot of relatively famous people as part of my job but have never felt the urge to get them to sign their name on a bit of a paper - a blank cheque from their bank account maybe - but never a random bit of paper.

I did get Uri Geller to sign a spoon he bent once - but that was later auctioned off for charity.

It's slightly different for me in that it isn't really a particularly professional thing to get someone to sign something in a fanboyish way after you've just interviewed them.

Lol i'm guessing that's a dig at me :( But I got the presenter's autographs for the forum, not necessarily for me.

I can't believe you're actually voluntarily sending someone over there, skylock. :mrgreen: They'll be caught slumped in their chair with their tongue hanging out, seizing, after five minutes.

I give caution if you go. Extreme caution. :lol:

PS -There's also no harm in sending something for sign-age, is there?

Last edited:
still though, we're from finalgear :p
And? Anyone is free to join FinalGear. It's not like we're special or something. ;)

And some of the people from "over there" are over here too. :wink:

I don't really understand autographs either. It's a sort of souvenir of meeting someone I suppose - and I did get Hammond's on a Top Trumps card of the Bowler Wildcat, and could have asked Andy for one but a) we were chatting like normal people so ut would have been odd and b) I think he would have wondered why I wanted it.

But if you don't even meet them and just get a signed pic sent.....sorry but no, I don't get that.

I'd normally say don't mail them because usually they just get some PR lacky to sign a bunch of headshots for them once a week. But I don't think Top Gear has PR lackys :).

Like breasts :banana:

offer them something different/unique to sign

Like breasts :banana:

Never understood the idea of having ones breasts autographed, unless the owner of said breasts were to go straight to the nearest tattoo parlour to make it permanent and that's just too weird to contemplate.

Imagine going to bed with a new girlfriend for the first time and being unable or too embarassed to touch her breasts because they had Richard Hammond's name on them. Ewwwww!

Imagine going to bed with a new girlfriend for the first time and being unable or too embarassed to touch her breasts because they had Richard Hammond's name on them. Ewwwww!
Given the opportunity, a short little gay man's scribble would not stop me from touchin' some boobies.

Given the opportunity, a short little gay man's scribble would not stop me from touchin' some boobies.

That's a valid point, but it would make me wonder if she were that obsessive what kind of psycho bunny-boiler she might turn out to be! Face it, a girl with a celebrity's autograph tattooed across her udders is probably not the kind of woman one would want to be the mother of one's children, not on my home planet at any rate!

And in a similar vein while I know it's no real proof the fact that Hammond is happily married with two kids is a strong indication that he probably isn't gay. Dog-sledding to the magnetic North Pole isn't a hobby that gets much copy in the pink press either I would imagine. Being a poof and a petrolhead are pretty mutually exclusive - I don't count long term finalgear fave KaJuN who is more of a transvestite mechaphile from what I have been able to gather - but if there are any other "out" members wishing to correct me that's cool too.

Last edited:
Face it, a girl with a celebrity's autograph tattooed across her udders is probably not the kind of woman one would want to be the mother of one's children
Who said anything about being a mother, I'm just talkin' about playin with some sweater puppets :D

I ask for a autographed nude picture of Andy every week and it has still yet to come so good luck collecting all of them.

And some of the people from "over there" are over here too. :wink:

I don't really understand autographs either. It's a sort of souvenir of meeting someone I suppose - and I did get Hammond's on a Top Trumps card of the Bowler Wildcat, and could have asked Andy for one but a) we were chatting like normal people so ut would have been odd and b) I think he would have wondered why I wanted it.

But if you don't even meet them and just get a signed pic sent.....sorry but no, I don't get that.

Signed books is quite another matter though, if only becuase they might be worth something on eBay if I ever need the cash!! :D