Canadian Federal Election 41

Ignatieff refused to do a slander campaign...and I respect that so much. But the majority of people just run with how bad the other guy is from the mouths of the other runners. Doesn't anyone remember how Harper sued Layton for slander last election?

My riding lost the Liberal seat it had ever since it was created (Vancouver South) to the Conservatives for the first time...

I think Justin Trudeau should be the next Liberal leader.

Agreed, would be a good first step to bring the Liberal Party back up.

Wow, that dick got himself a majority government?

You guys have a parliament. Isn't there any way to get out of 4 years of Harper? Another no-confidence vote? Coalition against the conservatives? Educate the 'merican on your strange British-ish northern ways.

Doesn't anyone remember how Harper sued Layton for slander last election?
Man, that would be something I'd love to see in the US.

Pretty sure the only way we would get Harper the boot now is if HIS own party members voted non-confidence...and that will NEVER happen as he will just shut down the house if they do that (like what happened earlier this year).

Damnit I should have voted in my Ontario riding (Etobicoke-Lakeshore South[I voted in what I though would be the closer Alberni-Nanaimo Riding]) I didn't realize Iggy would lose that riding.

This was a very interesting election, I didn't think the east would swing vote the way it did.

Wow, that dick got himself a majority government?

Sadly. And stop insulting dicks! ;)

You guys have a parliament. Isn't there any way to get out of 4 years of Harper? Another no-confidence vote? Coalition against the conservatives? Educate the 'merican on your strange British-ish northern ways.

Pretty sure the only way we would get Harper the boot now is if HIS own party members voted non-confidence...and that will NEVER happen as he will just shut down the house if they do that (like what happened earlier this year).

Exactly, because he's a narcissistic, egomaniacal bastard. (And now I've just insulted bastards. Damn.)

I guess you know now how a lot of us in the States felt in 2004. :(

Having listened to all the speeches, I can confirm that I think Ignatieff's was by far the best... it was the only one that actually made me feel something one way or the other, and considering Iggy and his parties dire situation it was even more respectable.

Stephen Harper was being his usual robotic self, the guy barely looks happy... is it just me or should someone who just pulled a majority out of their ass be a little be more beaming?

At any rate, this has been a thoroughly disappointing day for me. We need major electoral reform in Canada, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Well, it should be interesting to see what happens to the country over the next four years.

Well it may not be the best first step, but it seems as though it would be between him or Bob Rae.

And Ignatieff announced his resignation this morning. The leadership race will begin soon for the Liberal Party.

So ... I was wrong, the conservatives got a majority.

But let's look at the results, shall we? They got the majority because of how many seats they got:

Conservatives 167
NDP 102
Liberal 34
Bloc 4
Green 1

However, as a percentage of the total votes:

Conservatives 39.6%
NDP 30.6%
Liberal 18.9%
Bloc 6.0%
Green 3.9%

So basically, since all other major parties except the conservatives are on the left side of the spectrum, the division of the population in terms of ideals breaks up into this:

Right-wing: 39.6%
Left-wing: 59.4%

So even though the majority of the population wanted a left-oriented government, we got screwed by the right. Thus Canada will be run for the next few years by a government that the majority of Canadians don't agree with. Congratulations, Harper, you effectively used the backdoor in the first-past-the-post system to screw Canadians over for your own political agenda... which is probably more like your own personal agenda, regardless of what parliament wants.

I would love to see Alternative voting on the ballots.

You still vote for an MP, but using ranked multiple choices. The last candidate is eliminated and is votes redistributed until you achieve a "majority" for an MP.

So even though the majority of the population wanted a left-oriented government, we got screwed by the right. Thus Canada will be run for the next few years by a government that the majority of Canadians don't agree with. Congratulations, Harper, you effectively used the backdoor in the first-past-the-post system to screw Canadians over for your own political agenda... which is probably more like your own personal agenda, regardless of what parliament wants.

You do realize that up until the two right side parties merged into the CPC, this happened every single time that the Liberals got a majority, right?

In 2000, the Liberals got a majority government with 40.85% of the popular vote. Gee, that's not much more than the CPC got this time around.
But wait! On 1997, the Liberals gained a majority government with only 38.46% of the popular vote! And in 1993, with 41%! Quite the "backdoor" they seem to have in these elections!
Ah, but I suppose we should see if there was any time when a party got a majority with over 50% of the popular vote... oh, right! It was 1984, and it was the Conservatives.

Sure is a lot of whining in here.

Hey, I love my dirty oil money, even if a solid chunk of it goes to Quebec. :p But hey, it's post-election season, so there's always a solid amount of butthurt and I AM SAD TO BE CANADIAN BAWWWW no matter who wins.

Thanks for lining it out for me. When I typed that I still hadn't seen the final numbers and it looked as though the NDP and Liberals had enough seats to form a coalition.

Sadly. And stop insulting dicks! ;)
:lol: But it's a fitting title, I think. Because if he's anything like some of the conservative leaders we have down here (and it sounds like he is), he'll spend the next 4 years fucking everything up.

Sure is a lot of whining in here.
It's bound to happen anywhere with multiple parties and first-past-the-post rules.

Nations with proportional representation don't have nearly the disparity between the percentage of the vote a party gets and the percentage of seat they get in the legislature. Of course, the legislatures in nations with proportional representation are also often a clusterfuck of small parties, various coalitions, etc. A system with first-past-the-post elections and fewer parties is much more stable, with the downside of being less democratic.

But let's look at the results, shall we? They got the majority because of how many seats they got:

Conservatives 167
NDP 102
Liberal 34
Bloc 4
Green 1

However, as a percentage of the total votes:

Conservatives 39.6%
NDP 30.6%
Liberal 18.9%
Bloc 6.0%
Green 3.9%

So basically, since all other major parties except the conservatives are on the left side of the spectrum, the division of the population in terms of ideals breaks up into this:

Right-wing: 39.6%
Left-wing: 59.4%

Check this out...
http://www.fairvote.ca/en/Canadians-cheated-again-by-voting-system

I would love to see Alternative voting on the ballots.

You still vote for an MP, but using ranked multiple choices. The last candidate is eliminated and is votes redistributed until you achieve a "majority" for an MP.

Basically, you want a run-off system?