Canadian looking for a toy

lakeguy77

Car(s)
2007 Legacy Spec B
So I'm shopping for a new car. It will be a second car, and winter driveability is not important, as I'm a Subaru man and my 07 Legacy Spec B has many good years ahead of it. What I'm looking for is a car that's fun, a good driver's car - I'll do the occasional autocross but I'm more a fan of going out in search of a good road, so real world performance takes priority over track performance. I also have a dog, a standard poodle about the size of a lab height wise but only about 50 lbs). While I've been a fan of big power and big engines in the past I do want something efficient, and $30k is my ceiling. I also want to go new.

So far there are two cars on my list and I'm looking for other suggestions, or advice on these cars I've already looked at.

1. Fiat 500 Abarth
2. Subaru BRZ

Price wise, its a draw. The BRZ loaded up and 500 loaded up ended up being about the same... I work at the local Subie dealer so my employee price brings the price in line.

The Subaru won't really work with my dog, tight squeeze to get in the back and uncomfortable seat for her. The 500 has a rear seat delete available and would be perfect for this. 1-0 for the 500

I prefer exhaust noise to induction noise. 2-0 for the 500.

I haven't driven either car. The Fiat dealer had one Abarth that was sold, but he let me sit in it and start it up. He's getting another in next week and will call me to arrange a drive. The BRZs are pretty much sold by the time they hit the lot. I've been on a ride-along on a technician's PDI test and dynamically it feels shockingly good from the passenger seat. I'm pondering a trip to the Scion dealer just for a test drive since that's about the only way I'll get behind the wheel.

When I do decide I'll likely order the 500 as I'll want some specific options, but talking to the dealer it'll be more readily available than a BRZ which I could end up waiting 3-4 months for, and I've accepted that I may not get to drive either until next summer once I buy. This is relevant since there could be a number of other options available to me by then. I've also not ruled out ditching my Legacy for a next-gen STI but only if it comes in hatchback form, which isn't sounding likely. The current STI is out of the question due to the horrible interior. If I replace the Legacy this is the only thing I would consider.

Thoughts? Advice? Other options I haven't thought of?

I can think in some other options:

-Mazda MX5 Miata
-Mazdaspeed 3
-Volkswagen Golf GTI
-BMW 128i coupe
-Mini John Cooper Works

I'm not sure about the MX5 but the other options i suggested are probably able to carry your dog.

Last edited:
Didn't read, lol.

Attention Deficit Disorder FTL.

Last edited:
I can think in some other options:

-Mazda MX5 Miata
-Mazdaspeed 3
-Volkswagen Golf GTI
-BMW 128i coupe
-Mini John Cooper Works

I'm not sure about the MX5 but the other options i suggested are probably able to carry your dog.

Being that I'm concerned that the BRZ, which has a back seat, may not accommodate my dog, pretty sure the MX5 is out of the question. And the rest are all well over $30k in Canada.

The Abarth feels tall and tippy in comparison to proper low-slug sports cars, so if you were impressed during your ride-along with the BRZ, the Abarth might not be up to your standards. By any other measure it's stonking good fun with good grip, turbo and exhaust noise, and relatively responsive steering.

Being that I'm concerned that the BRZ, which has a back seat, may not accommodate my dog, pretty sure the MX5 is out of the question. And the rest are all well over $30k in Canada.

The rest aren't over $30k in Canada,look:

Mazdaspeed 3: $29,995
Golf GTI: $29,375 (3-door)
The Mini John Cooper Works costs more than 30k but you can get the Cooper S for 29K

All the prices above are from the manufacturer's website of each car.