Cancer Sucks

What horrible news :-(

It hits me really hard, because almost 20 years ago, when I was 15 years old, I had to fight leukemia as well. I have been on this Forum for~12 years, sadly not very active in the recent years, but there was a time (when I was still a student and when I wasn't all wound up in work) where this forum was a big part of my (virtual) free time. It was/is one of the best online communities with so many like-minded people and Alex just an awesome job running it.

I feel really sad. I wish the best for his family to scope with it, and I want to make sure that they know how many people's live he enlightened by providing the community a place for our common passion!

So stupefied by all this. Honestly dumbfounded.
Found this place because somehow I stumbled on the very first Bugatti Veyron piece shown in Top Gear, it was James May driving it in VWs test track if I recall, back in the very early days of YouTube. I thought the site was a great idea and was very thankful for the torrents of course, and then got into the forums cos of all of the car and racing banter going on.
I had no clue we had almost the same age. I had no clue he worked on Wordpress, which I used extensively to create a short lived Formula 1 blog/fan site with a friend. I didn't know much at all about Alex other than he was a cool dude, who made it all happen, I admired him from afar.

You're all absolutely right, it's damn near impossible to come up with the correct words.

So sad about all this. I will plan a trip to see my friend who works in cancer research, hug her and buy her lunch.

RIP Viper, 'gracias totales'

RIP Alex, I can't believe you're gone. I loved this place when I was younger and spent so much of time talking (and arguing) with everyone. And it was only possible because you made this place what it is. We will miss you.

I haven't been on in a while and I am absolutely gutted that I couldn't share my appreciation for this site and Alex (who shares a name with my youngest son) with Alex himself...though I feel that he's reading all this from wherever he is now.

I found this thread through the splash above the forum yesterday and I didn't want to comment until I've gone through the whole thread, but I am realizing now that I'm not even halfway through since yesterday.

I am SO sorry about how late I am to this. I can only share my belated condolences to Alex's family, his friends, and to all of us in his extended FF family/friends.

Thank you, Viper and we will miss you. Finalgear has been a large part of my life, most of which was spent lurking and then interacting with everyone on IRC. Thank you.

I joined this online family back in 2004, before the "Final Gear" name came about. I was a kid (14-years old).

I couldn't tell you how many hours I spent on this forum out of pure enjoyment. Would you believe me if I told you that I legitimately recall moments whereby I was the only Registered user online? Yup - this place has grown MASSIVELY over the years.

"Viper007Bond" (his original username) made me a Moderator whilst I was still a kid. Some people thought it was ridiculous (and rightfully so) because I made a series of blunders when I first started but Viper had faith and told me to press on. There was nothing else in my life that made me grow up more than being propelled into a position of responsibility moderating these forums during an immense time of growth, and I speak candidly when I say - it shaped the rest of my life in the most positive of ways. I sincerely mean that. I really owe Viper for inadvertently setting me up for what has been a very happy and successful life I live.

I had no idea he was sick. And I've literally just learnt of his passing. To say I'm shocked would be an understatement...

I wish I had told him what impact his actions has had on my life. I just assumed I'd have that opportunity at a later date when we were all grey haired, but this is a stark reminder that life's short and there are no guarantees. I ALWAYS knew this family we call "Final Gear" had played a huge role in my adolescence but was too embarrassed to admit it because it seemed a bit lame that I spent most of my teen years on a car forum. However I'm better for it and wouldn't have had it any other way!

Its just another small piece in Viper's massive legacy he's left behind. He was a visionary. He knew what he wanted to do and executed it with a high attention to detail. Little did he know he'd go onto create an online community that has more akin to a real family than we'd like to admit.

I hope its not rude, but I can't bring myself to call him by his actual name. I just know him best as 'Viper' because we legitimately didn't know his real name back then and I have incredibly fond memories of Viper I will cherish forever.

On that note - farewell 'Viper'. Thanks for enhancing my life.

SL65.

Haven't been here in a while. I'm stunned to read this news. R.I.P Alex and thanks for this great forum.

Years ago while visiting Hawaii, I saw their Memorial Day lantern floating ceremony. They invite anyone to add a message for departed friends and family to a lantern, which is then released at sunset from Ala Moana beach.

This year, I've added messages for Alex, Thujalvi and Steve.

So today on a whim of nostalgia, after 8 years, typed "finalgear" into google to see if the site was still around. I left this site in 2012 because my health was falling apart and it killed me to follow car news when I couldn't even drive most of the time.

I wish I had come back sooner. You were a great guy viper. Thank you for building this site that gave me years of happiness.

Kat told me about Viper's passing earlier today. I still feel like someone took me out at the knees and I'm a bit teary after reading everything and watching the vid. I have no idea how my poor Canadian ass came across TG, but Finalgear helped feed that addiction for years and I pretty much spent a lot of my online time here. I'm thankful to Alex for that and it's nice to see how well-loved and respected he was.

• Sad
Reactions: TC
This is so heartbreaking, rest in peace brother, we'll see you on the other side!

Haven't been here for a while, and I come back to this :( RIP dude!