canon EF 28-105mm F3.5-4.5 USM

otispunkmeyer

Car(s)
'03 Skoda Superb (farewell :(), '06 Honda Civic ES
jus scored this on ebay. its not the MKII model like i thought and i was initially in a state of panic becasue i thought id made the same "shoot first ask questions later" mistake that led me into buying the cheap-o EF28-105mm F4-5.6 (non USM)

it was listed under lenses for 35mm Film, so why it appeared in my filtered list (for canon DSLR) i have ni idea, but by the time i realised it wasnt the new one it was too late.

i thought it wouldnt work on my 400d, but then i found a review of it being used on a 350d.

they mention the MK1 and MK2 are practically the same...save for a 7 bladed aperture in the Mk2 (vs 5 in the MK1) and that as its 35mm lens, the smaller APS-C sensor really take advantage of the lenses sweet spot making vignetting a very rare occurance.

so did i get a good buy here? i scored it for ?74. the MkII version is selling for ?175 brand new. good glass is good glass, despite its age and the owner has taken very good care with it...its his last of his 35mm collection (hes going all digital) because it was his favourite.

In terms of compatibility, all canon EF lenses (most of the film ones) will work on the EF-S mounts. (like your 400D) It doesn't work the other way round though.

I personally wouldn't use that lens much, just because I don't think it's a very useful zoom range. It'd be a great all-around lens for a film camera or full frame digital, but I'd either want something that was wider, or allowed more zoom.

That said though, have fun with it.

In terms of compatibility, all canon EF lenses (most of the film ones) will work on the EF-S mounts. (like your 400D) It doesn't work the other way round though.

I personally wouldn't use that lens much, just because I don't think it's a very useful zoom range. It'd be a great all-around lens for a film camera or full frame digital, but I'd either want something that was wider, or allowed more zoom.

That said though, have fun with it.

yeah the review said it wouldnt be first choice for a DSLR user, but we'll see if i dont like it i can just resell it, i doubt i'd lose too much money on it, if any. it was only ?74.

what i should of bought was a 18-200mm but the really good ones are expensive.

what suggestions do you have for good lenses? which are also easy on the wallet.

Last edited:
I would stay away from any off-brand 18-200, f/6.3 at 200mm is slow.

Well, I wasn't going to say it, but... yeah, that about covers it. :lol:

i take it that either A) there arent any good 18-200's or B) the good one isnt for canon but Nikon. lol guy on another forum suggested Nikon 18-200mm VR lens

anyway the F3.5-4.5 USM arrived in the post today, its pretty nice. ill try it out for a bit to see how useful this range is.

im glad i didnt get a longer lens because even with this one i can see its a pain trying to keep it steady at the telephoto.

if i like it ill keep it, if not ill sell up, its better than the kit lens what ever happens.

just waiting on the F4-5.6 28-105mm non-USM i bought in error to arrive. that things brand spanking new so im not even gonna open it, and just whip it back on flea bay.

and USM motor is cool, its so quiet...makes the 50mm sound like a power drill

Last edited:
The only decent 18-200 is the Nikon. It's faster, it's got VR, and it's built better. The other ones are slower, plasticky, and really not very good.

The only decent 18-200 is the Nikon. It's faster, it's got VR, and it's built better. The other ones are slower, plasticky, and really not very good.

yeah but its near as makes no difference ?500 lol thats more than i spent on a camera.

this canons doing me good, i remember seeing a test of it against the D80 on the gadget show, and as i expected the nikon won, but its almost 100 more than the 400d without a lens so it was a little too expensive for me.

still i doubt ill ever get round to using all the features on this 400d....there just so many!

Oh, I'm not saying the Canon is a poor camera, far from it. All I'm saying is, you should try your best to stay away from 18-200's!

im gonna go to the skate park on saturday and get shooting.

actually because of where the skate park is and who uses it i'd love to start shooting with a desert eagle or an M16, but lifes not fair. i guess i can shoot lads trying to be like tony hawk or something for a while with my camera and then hot foot it out of there before they decide that i should really be stabbed in the face.

then i might just sit out on th benches up the road and wait for the footballers to come razzing through on their way to the game in their Astons and Bentleys.

i cant get over how quiet this USM is....you can barely hear it.

For skate parks, I find in my area that the easy areas (rails, etc.) are overpopulated by wannabe emotards. If there's a high-difficulty area (bowls, large pipes) go take pictures there instead. You get better angles and the people are generally a whole lot cooler and not retarded. Show up, take some pics, meet some people. Also, clothes are a good indicator as well. Good skaters don't dress like emo fags, they dress in fairly normal clothes that 1) don't restrict movement, and 2) don't hurt to land on.

Have fun!

For skate parks, I find in my area that the easy areas (rails, etc.) are overpopulated by wannabe emotards. If there's a high-difficulty area (bowls, large pipes) go take pictures there instead. You get better angles and the people are generally a whole lot cooler and not retarded. Show up, take some pics, meet some people. Also, clothes are a good indicator as well. Good skaters don't dress like emo fags, they dress in fairly normal clothes that 1) don't restrict movement, and 2) don't hurt to land on.

Have fun!

i have never been to it before, the council built it, like they do for all the deprived area's, for easterside which is the estate across the road. its rough, really rough...im talking 10 year olds who smoke and drink and wouldnt think twice about messing with the police.

plenty of emofags in drainpipes wandering round town though, some with skateboards. ill see what its like, its definately not a big skate park, no built in bowls or half pipes...just pre-fabbed obstacles nailed to the floor i think