Canon's latest DSLR announced

Re: Canon's latest DSLR announced

Sounds good, but : "From an imaging pipeline point of view this camera has the same sensor and image processor and the default PictureStyle matches the EOS 20D's default image parameters (hence expect exactly the same imaging performance)."

Strange that they didn't didn't bother to upgrade that part, one would think that they had made some progress in a year and a half.

And it a press release, not a review. :)

Sweet camera.

Does this mean that we will see a price drop in the Digital Rebel XT and 20D?

fix your link bro :)

jayjaya29 said:
Does this mean that we will see a price drop in the Digital Rebel XT and 20D?

That would be groovy indeed.

Yeah man, thats why I'm asking. I'm saving up for the Digital Rebel XT, but the funds aren't coming in too quickly.

I think we should see a price drop, but the Digital Rebel XT is such a popular camera, so I dunno. :dunno:

yea then i can buy a 20D.

I was at Ritz camera the other day and asked those guys what's better, nikons or canons. And one guy said that the nikons will have a better picture because of the higher quality lens they have. Is this true?

the first thing I thought of was that the difference between 20D and 30D is basically like the difference between the nikon D100 and D70 or D70s.

Another thing that I noticed was that that wheel dial on the back (whatever Canon's fancy name for it is) seems to be akwardly placed very ow on the camera. It seems to mee that most buttons should be placed in more or less the middle/center and not way down at the bottom

i have heard from a few people that nikon's kit lenses are supposed to be better, but the difference, if noticeable, should be very small...
if you plan to upgrade however, there are high quality lenses from both manufacturers...

i am myself planning to get a DSLR soon and i kinda focused on the nikon D50, because you can get that in a kit with two starter lenses (18-55&55-200) for the price of a 350d with only one starter lense (18-55) and 55 is not ernough for me, even if my budget is limited...the d70s is too expensive for me and it does not have too many extras over the d50, while the non-uprated d70 is again affordable but has an older chip and more noise than the d50.

Well i'm not planning to upgrade.

Myself, I choose the D100 over the the D70 (S or no S) and the D50. One of the resons was basically that the d100 are basically the same exact camera optically sensor wise so it would the difference would not really be detectable. The D70 just has a few features that are quickened up like focus and image buffer and flash system. The biggest one was probably that the used D100 costs lest than a used D70 most of the time for basically the same camera. I got my D100 used for $500 with an extra battery. I also got a great deal on a used nikkor 300mm ED IF F/4 for $300 and also a sigma 18-50 for $99

If you are looking for good deals on nikon stuff for sale or trade check http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

AxlxA said:
yea then i can buy a 20D.

I was at Ritz camera the other day and asked those guys what's better, nikons or canons. And one guy said that the nikons will have a better picture because of the higher quality lens they have. Is this true?

the people that work at ritz and places like that tend to be minimum wage making stiffs. its no different than asking the CVS photo center girl what camera is best - it is a guess at best.

in reality, canon and nikon are so similar in performance as for it to be a moot point. as far as lenses, take a look at the sideline of any pro sporting event. all those huge white-grey lenses are canon L-series glass. so the pros there are using canons. but rest assured, many of them have a similar set of Nikon glass back at the office awaiting a possible new digital back from nikon that could trump the canon backs (this was more true in the early years of digital photography, when photojournalists would switch 3 times a year btwn nikon and canon as the fierce build up of resolution and speed were happening.

but look at the crowd of photographers at the next sporting event you go to. lots of white canon lenses. (they became so dominant that nikon began to make some of their lenses a whitish grey just so it would be less obvious how many canon systems were in use)