Autoblog: Car chases soon to be a thing of the past, Jerry Bruckheimer inconsolable.

Also, the EM energy isn't going to just stop when it hits the car. The Air Force can use this because they'd be shooting it down at a target and the energy would go on to be absorbed into the ground. From a ground-level deployment, it's going to hit the target and shut down other cars on the other side of it with fatal consequences for the electronics - and possibly the innocent occupants.

Plus, unless he's figured out some way to make that thing fire like a laser, he's going to get a shotgun like spread of energy out the end of that waveguide assembly - which means other cars to the sides of the target are going to get hit. This is before you realize that such a weapon will also wipe laptop and handheld computers and not incidentally possibly kill people with implanted medical electronics and appliances like, oh, pacemakers, defibrillators and insulin pumps.

I thought exactly the same thing! If he's going to kill the electronics of a car with an electromagnetic pulse, what's it going to do to other electronic devices? And how was that camera still working? Either they filmed from a really long distance, or the pulse was incredibly focused. Also, good luck on making it smaller.

I read about this not too long ago. Anyone know how I can install one in my trunk? :D

Also, the EM energy isn't going to just stop when it hits the car. The Air Force can use this because they'd be shooting it down at a target and the energy would go on to be absorbed into the ground. From a ground-level deployment, it's going to hit the target and shut down other cars on the other side of it with fatal consequences for the electronics - and possibly the innocent occupants.

When you just fire a blind shot it in the air, it could even destroy sensitive satellites in this area.

I thought exactly the same thing! If he's going to kill the electronics of a car with an electromagnetic pulse, what's it going to do to other electronic devices? And how was that camera still working? Either they filmed from a really long distance, or the pulse was incredibly focused. Also, good luck on making it smaller.

More like the scatter wasn't that wide at that close a range. Hit the engine compartment, and the wiring carries the charge back to the computer. However, you can film the instruments from just outside the car because you're outside the cone of effect. Real shotguns generally only have a spread of one inch per yard (3cm per meter, give or take) and that's sometimes a good rule of thumb for certain sorts of directed energy scatter.

On top of which, an easier solution is the Texas Protocol: Shoot out tires and fuel tank (no, fuel tanks do not explode when shot) with an optional radiator shot; car dies pretty damn quick after that, problem solved with little to no collateral damage.

But that requires training and skill. Too much for most governments.

Not my problem if other entities have lower standards. :D

Until you need to drive through said states.

Solution:

hotrodDD.JPG

Or just anarchists. Imagine what would happen if you were in a helicopter and just 'hosed' a financial district with this thing. Or an airliner on takeoff. Or general aviation craft.

On top of which, an easier solution is the Texas Protocol: Shoot out tires and fuel tank (no, fuel tanks do not explode when shot) with an optional radiator shot; car dies pretty damn quick after that, problem solved with little to no collateral damage.

But the fuel leaking out onto hot asphalt, or a vapor coming off said asphalt, could potentially ignite from one of the many poorly maintained piles of shit I've seen roaming the Texas roads.

You are confusing no-safety-inspection Failaphonia with Texas. Ill maintained heaps are rare here, even in the barrio, where they are everywhere out there.

I'm glad someone got what I was trying to say.

When typing that I just knew I was wong. Goes to show how much I know about diesels.

Might I ask what powers the glow plugs then?

Glowplugs are only used to start a cold engine. Once it is running it's all compression.

cool. I had no idea.

I knew that diesel ran really high compression for that reason, but I didn't know that the glow plugs had no part after it warmed up.

The carburetor will solve the fueling problem, but what about ignition system? The EM wave can still take that out. For future fugitives, the only choice might be a diesel with mechanical fuel injection. Then there really would be nothing that can be effected.

As long as you have a traditional distributor/mechanical ignition system you should be fine.