Car Dash Camera's / Black box camera's

TroyWK

Car(s)
Canyonero
Since there was quite a lot of interest in the idiots+ cars thread regarding dash cameras I thought id start a separate thread.

I bought mine after i was involved in an accident (I ran up the back of someone who slammed the brakes in front of me)

I bought mine from http://www.onsitecameras.com/blog/products-page/cameras/137-2/ for about $220. I opted not to go for a cheap ebay model as I heard to many horror stories.

It is a basic unit that shows time / date and records in 720p.

I installed mine just in front of my rear vision mirror and ran the power cable under the trim down into the glove box where I have a lighter socket.

IMAG0360.jpg

IMAG0362.jpg

Demo video (sound appears to be added in editing) this actually happened near where I live.

One I took of a car running a red light and nearly wiping out the car in front of me.
[video=youtube;ijR-UP39xXk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijR-UP39xXk[/video]

Last edited:
I'm glad this thread arrived, I'm looking for a cam not so much for security/insurance reasons, but something to record entire scenic driving trips (I'm talking 2-6 hours) with minimal interruption at a good quality, window mounting is preferred as this is sometimes in my own car, and sometimes a rental.

I'm glad this thread arrived, I'm looking for a cam not so much for security/insurance reasons, but something to record entire scenic driving trips (I'm talking 2-6 hours) with minimal interruption at a good quality, window mounting is preferred as this is sometimes in my own car, and sometimes a rental.

If you are after something for just scenic drives and not for running 24/7, get a GoPro

This is what people keep telling me :p How long will it record on a fully charged battery? And what length of film can one cram one the biggest possible memory cards at 720p these days?

Sorry, I'm still stuck in the 80's when it comes to these things.

*edit, OK so a simple USB cable to a 12V socket charges it constantly, that's one thing sorted :p*

Last edited:
See, now that's a ballpark figure I can live with, thanks!

This one seems like a good deal for those looking for a cheaper option.

They have a year long warranty, shoot 1080p, has a mic input and cost around $60. They just suffer in low light in 1080p. I will be able to give it a good run down once it arrives next week.

Yeah, that's the one I have and will be undergoing testing with the auto parts people this week. If it does well, I think I'll try to organize that group buy.

Car Dash Camera's / Black box camera's

Parts store car (2013 Ford Fiesta) has been outfitted with the camera and testing is in progress.

I ordered a cheaper dash cam earlier this week. If it works well I might spring for a better one in the future but for my needs right now it doesnt need to be super high resolution and the videos shown by reviewers were more than adequate.

For those that care or want to use it as part of their evaluation, here is the test vehicle.

vlcsnap-2012-09-12-22h30m08s7.png

vlcsnap-2012-09-12-22h30m40s120.png

It was either this or an Aveo. And I figured the Aveo as a test vehicle might ruin the camera just by association.

Unless something goes wrong, I plan to run this test through at least Saturday to see what we get out of the thing.

Last edited:
I just bought this from an electronics market in Taipei:

To show size:

I got the accessory that allows it to charge via a waterproof USB cable. I paid a fair price, but not a screaming deal - about $200 USD. The camera is fully waterproof and will record a 2 hour loop. It will be permanently mounted to my motorcycle.

I think that's the one listed on the old thread in that UK guy's review.

Yup, it is: https://forums.finalgear.com/general-automotive/idiots-cars-lol-44559/page-130/#post1971234

Seems well enough - but I would point out that perhaps you may not want a camera pointing back into the cabin for reasons which will become obvious if you think about it. :D

Nose picking shots? Can't think of anything else...

After the review it does seem to be a pretty good buy. And even when the night internal shot is horrible it could help if you were rear ended at a standstill or something like that, or at least you'll see some lights approaching the rear window.

Last edited:
Nose picking shots? Can't think of anything else...

After the review it does seem to be a pretty good buy. And even when the night internal shot is horrible it could help if you were rear ended at a standstill or something like that, or at least you'll see some lights approaching the rear window.

Yeah, that's useful. Personally, I'm thinking a dual purpose rear camera mounted in the rear of my truck would be an excellent idea.

On the other hand, I'm thinking that an internal camera might not be the best thing in the world. It might prove to be embarrassing should you actually need the footage.

Last edited:
Anyway, good-ish quality, and nice price. I just ordered one.

You can expect some Costa Rican stupidity footage at the end of the month.

Anyway, good-ish quality, and nice price. I just ordered one.

You can expect some Costa Rican stupidity footage at the end of the month.

Go for it, let us know how it turns out.