Car magazines: 50 greatest cars of the past 50 years

JimCorrigan

Car(s)
HMCS Velvet Glove; The Last Samurai
We get it. You heart the Panda. Care to tell us about the other cars on the list?

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'13 Moto Guzzi V7, '08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
Looks like America never made a great car. :p

public

Has been known to shou emousshiöns
DONOR
Car(s)
S203 M271 and a ton of crap
The Mustang, the C2 Vette and the powerplant in the Jensen are American enough :p

Great list, I only take offense at the colour choices and the lack of DeLorean. :lol:

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'13 Moto Guzzi V7, '08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
Ha. I guess my geek status is revoked. :p

captain_70s

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'77 Triumph Dolomite 1300 + '83 Triumph Acclaim
Why does the list contain a Trabant, a Multipla, and a Smart? Odd kind of "greatest car" :dunno:
One presumes, East Germany's people's car (same reason the 2CV, Renault 5 and Mini are there), first popular tiny city car (that anybody remembers), dunno' about the Multipla, other than it was better than it looked (which was easy)...

Doesn't that Lotus look tiny there...

Lack of US cars is probably because it is a UK based magazine and American cars don't work here, at all.

Last edited:

_HighVoltage_

Captain Volvo
Car(s)
1998 Volvo S70 T5M
Am I blind? Because I don't see a Trabant in there.

And why is the bloody 2CV on the list? That thing is much older than 50 years!

Also I would have thought a 240 Turbo Wagon would have deserved a spot if the Saab 99 is there.

_HighVoltage_

Captain Volvo
Car(s)
1998 Volvo S70 T5M
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Sorry, it's just... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
I'm being serious here - the 240 made station wagons popular. It was reliable, with the Turbo it was fairly quick. It was built for nearly 20 years. It created/reshaped the image of the family car. If you are going to have stuff like the Focus, 2CV, Panda, Renault 5 in there, you might as well include the 240. Not a great driver's car, but its impact was just as big as these other ones.

Cowboy

My name is Sheridan
A Smart? Honestly......no 1960 Caddie? No DB9? No 911? But please go ahead and include a fucking Datsun and the ugliest Fiat ever created....

DanRoM

Forum Addict
Car(s)
MX-5 ND, CBF1000 & two bikes
They included cars that made an impact or showed serious novelty. Therefore, 2CV, Mini, Renault 5, Panda, Smart, and the like are justified.

And Cowboy, the 911 is there - in its newest incarnation. But everyone rambles that they can't be told apart from the older ones anyway... :p And they have the first Golf, not the latest, to balance out that one. :D
DB9 - well, there is the DB5, and that one's far more iconic.