Car Seat Furniture (Pictures inside)

scull20

Car(s)
'04 Liberty, '68 Impala SS
First off, I wasn't really sure as to where I should put this thread...but because it kinda deals with cars I decided "General Automotive" was the way to go.

Anyway, here's a little history behind the "creation":

My buddy and I realized that since our college apartment only came with 1 couch we would need some more furniture for other people to sit on in the living room. We both watch Top Gear, and figured...anyone can go out and just buy furniture (In end then, with what we paid we could have just gone out and bought furniture...) but nobody has seats from a car in their house. So we set out to scour the "internets" to find some car seats that we could use for the living room, with no real plan as to what we really wanted or where to even look. After messing around with ebay for a few days and realizing it was a waste, I ventured off onto various forums for a number of different car models and manufacturers. After searching I found someone who lived fairly close to us who was selling the seats out of a '96 BMW M3. I contacted him and we decided we would go check them out. We went there with the intention of just getting the back seats, and ended up leaving with the fronts and backs.

Below is what I built for the back seats. Please keep in mind, that I built everything from my head, thanks to pre-sleep brainstorming and boredem at work I had a general idea of what I wanted to do...however some areas may be a bit crude.

I still need to sand and paint the frame and I am open to suggestions as to what color.

Please leave your comments and opinions, I'm interested in what everyone thinks.

-Ryan

IMG_3588.JPG

IMG_3589.JPG

IMG_3592.JPG

IMG_3593.JPG

Not bad. I'm working on doing something similar with some seats out of a Jag X308, but I'm going to weld up metal frames for them instead of using wood.

I have captains chairs out of a conversion van mounted on computer chair bases. I also took the rear fold-down seat out and it is in the garage. I will get pics taken of them someday.

Hi, I am just amazed with your work, I have the similar kind of furniture seats but I am getting problem in fixing in a car. Could you please add some photos?

8 year bump... what was the record?

"Oh look, a new thread in General Auto, that doesn't happen every day... nevermind."

I rather the suspect the bumper was a bot. It has all the hallmarks.

I rather the suspect the bumper was a bot. It has all the hallmarks.

Indeed, why would you want to fit seats you have taken out of a car, back in a car?

I didn't see this originally though, looks quite good actually. I've been watching some DIY channels that made their own small sofa style seats and the car seat bench would be a good nice addition.

Indeed, why would you want to fit seats you have taken out of a car, back in a car?

Because it was then that you realized your car no longer has seats? :p

Because it was then that you realized your car no longer has seats? :p

I've been there before, driven a Land Rover while sitting on a plastic box as it didn't have a floor let alone a seat. :lol:

I kno the threads long dead, but I would clad the wooden frame in plywood or MDF, and paint.

With a miter saw (or confidence with a t-square and a circular saw, or a hand saw miter box), the frame could be made a bit less bulky, but it would make it harder to "wrap" in plywood.

I kno the threads long dead, but I would clad the wooden frame in plywood or MDF, and paint.

With a miter saw (or confidence with a t-square and a circular saw, or a hand saw miter box), the frame could be made a bit less bulky, but it would make it harder to "wrap" in plywood.

Long dead!?....What if the OP comes back from the dead with a long awaited update, 8 years later?

I still have the car seats...since that first post, I graduated college, accrued some awesome student loan debt, got a great job, a new house and will be married by the end of the year. Its amazing how much has changed since then.

I have the Driver's seat and the back seats in my "man cave". My buddy (best man at my upcoming wedding) that I shared the apartment with has the passenger seat. I was not too worried about bulk at the time, as I was just buying 2x4s mostly, and as long as I was able to get it through a 36" door then it was fine. The "cushions" come off for transporting, and the frame itself only weights about 50 lbs or so. I ended up painting them black and adding some Simpson brackets for reinforcing and accent color.

Here's some photos from back then, after the paint.

Last edited:
Long dead!?....What if the OP comes back from the dead with a long awaited update, 8 years later?

I still have the car seats...since that first post, I graduated college, accrued some awesome student loan debt, got a great job, a new house and will be married by the end of the year. Its amazing how much has changed since then.

Awesome, didn't expect that :clap:

OP delivers!

OP has 15 posts since 2008 and still comes back to deliver. This is what the internet needs more of.