Cars you just dont understand

pontiac aztec really is still worse, atleast with the aztec you can pitch a tent in the back

Mercedes R-Class - horrific looks aside - I really don't get the point of it! :mad:

Mercedes market it as a "GST" or Grand Sport Tourer which has MPV, SUV and sports car capabilities but, it just doesn't!

As an MPV, it's rubbish since it only has 6-seats with the last row providing dismal legroom. As an "SUV" (as Merc like to also market it as), its useless given its hopeless ride height compared to proper SUV's and the absence of low-ratio gearbox and road tires. And as for it being sporty....ahhhh NO! I guess as a luxury cruiser its pretty damn good but then why not just get a sedan or estate.

I honestly don't understand why they did it. Its stupid and doesn't tick any of the boxes. Jack of all trades, master of none is the R-Class. And I respect you guys enough NOT to post pics of it because its so ugly.

Cadillac BLS. It's a Saab. It's small. A small Caddy? Bah.

Why not buy an A4, a BMW or a small Merc? Or a 9-3 for instance.

I vote BimmerFan gets a banz0r3d for causing us such retinal damage. <_<

What car do I not get?
CITROEN%202CV%2046%202CV%20kombi%200170-1187.jpg

I don't care if it's a cult car or not, the French equivalent of the MINI or Beetle, it's ugly and disgusting. Why do people like these ugly things so much? At least Minis and Beetles were interesting (rear-engined), relatively attractive (Minis are cute), and they were driven by chic people instead of mostly hippies. Oh, and it's really really really fucking ugly, and I hate hippies.

Anything in the Hummer lineup, completely pointless: original, H2, H3.

Ed
The original Humvee, the military version, is one hell of a machine. Anything else, i'd agree with you. The list of SUVs I don't actually see as pointless is tiny. The most pointless vehicle to me would be something akin to the early '90s Civics with non-vtec SOHC engines and slushboxes. I have never driven anything more mind-numbingly uninspiring.

e-type

51-jaguar-e-type.jpg

i realy think it looks like shit

The E-Type is the most gorgeous car ever made - I should set up a poll asking to ban you from this forum for saying that. :mad: (And I'm pretty confident I'd get a good amount of support :p )

I don't see the point of a couple of rebadged cars - the Caddy BLS has already been mentioned, and the SAAB 9-2 and 9-7 belong into that category as well. I am looking forward to see Mercury and Buick disappear as well in future - there's hardly one individual model that couldn't be offered by Ford/Lincoln or Chevy/Cadillac instead, and it's the same for Seat today.

Like often stated before, I don't see the point of SUV's that aren't capable of doing serious offroading - why not drive a wagon instead?

Anything in the Hummer lineup, completely pointless: original, H2, H3.

Ed

I have to protest that one, the original Hummer is a HUGELY capable off-roader, and not too shabby in the comfort dept. either.

VW Golf R32. I mean who buys that? For that money you can buy a proper secondhand Subaru.

So is that why they sold as fast as they did with hardly ANY publicity? They are also holding their value VERY, VERY well. I did not see the point of it at first, but it does have some very subtle things changed and it really is a "super" golf.

"Hot" diesels. I just don't see the point in having hot hatch with a Diesel engine. Sure, you have the looks of a proper hot hatch, often with more power, acceleration and whatnot than the petrol version... but the moment you start the engine it all falls apart, because it sounds like a damn John Deere tractor. I just don't get it.

About the Euro Fusion, I will repeat what I overheard a salesman at a Ford dealer some time ago: apparently girls and old people like it because it's a little bit taller than a normal hatch. So they get the taller position of a SUV without all the hassle of the bigger car. That's what he said, I don't understand the Fusion, either. The Golf Plus I sort of regard it as VW's attempt at creating a people carrier evolved from a hatchback,

You can make a diesel car WAY faster than a gasser without too much trouble. Not to mention you can go farther on a tank of fuel as well.

pontiac aztec really is still worse, atleast with the aztec you can pitch a tent in the back

add the Vibe... stupid, stupid, stupid car!

Ssangyongs, just why do they bother? don't they realize how ugly there cars are?

The SM 3,5, and 7 are pretty damn nice cars! I also happen to think the newest version of the Chairman is decent too. I do agree though that all the above posted pics are pointless, crappy, copies of other people hard work.

add the Vibe... stupid, stupid, stupid car!
And the Toyota Matrix too? :p

I think small diesels still have a ways to go before they get a really large following, at least in the US. Sure you get great gas mileage and crazy torque, but it's a pain to keep them in the powerband from what i've heard. I don't think they'll be unseating gas engines for a while anyway.

I find that the cars you don't understand end up being the most interesting and desirable. Like the Subaru Vortex. :p

Its time for a rant, there are some cars which to me i dont care about or dont understand... yet other people dont stop banging on about them.

(Its NOT an 'I hate thread' or an 'its ugly thread')

Audi S3 ?26,950
Audi A3 3.2 V6 Quattro ?28,075
The S3 looks better and is faster, no the V6 isnt torquier, why pay more for a slower and heavier car?

BMW 335.

The Boxster/Cayman... buy a second hand 996.

Audi R8: It looks like a big TT, its a Gallardo in drag and not that much cheaper.

*Prepares to get shot in the face... McLaren F1 it goes 250+MPH... and?

i agree with the S3 and A3, cant understand why the heck audi did that, the V6 engine is pathetic and its ridiculously expensive, given the option (which we get in SA) i'd rather take the 2.0T. With a simple chip, you can gain some power with very little money.

bmw 335i, dont really to explain the purpose of this vehicle here, its targeted at the GT bracket, its not an //M car but more like a really comfy car that performs really well. Thanks to two small turbos that BMW fitted in, with the 2 small turbos spooling up rather quick, you get massive torque at low rpm, meaning over taking is a simple task and you dont need to rev the fuck out of the engine just to overtake someone. This makes the car easier to drive and easier to live with everyday.

Audi R8, again.. i dont understand what Audi is trying to do. R8 is way over priced if you ask me. If its priced to be a supercar, it better perform like a supercar. Yet with the same price, a M6 will rape it from 0 to topspeed. Even compared to its younger brother RS4, and The R8 is barely any faster than the glorious RS4. And with a mid engine layout deisgn, it doesnt really live up to the name of "mid engine sports car design". With a similar price tag, a noble will smoke the R8 around the track. What audi is trying to proof with the R8 is pretty stupid.. its basically a lamborghini that Audi is trying to build up from scratch. The R8 lacks the passion of lamborghini, it lacks the performance of a supercar (that wears the similar price-tag). To me the R8 seems rather more like a super Audi TT.

A lot of cars have been posted here that people don't understand.
First the S3. I don't know where you've been looking but an A3 3.2 is ?5000 cheaper than an S3 over here.

Golf R32: Only for the sound it makes i'd buy one. There is not one car in that price-range than can remotely compare, not even the 130i IMHO. That aside, It's still a great car. It is not as much a hot hatch as a hatchback attempt at a Grand Tourer, which IMHO succeeded very well.

McLaren F1: Shame on you! It's the Veyron of the 90s! (as an engineering accomplishment)

Cars i simply don't understand:
Korean SUVs that are so bad off road that they get stuck on a freshly mown lawn when you can buy a car the same size that weighs less, has better fuel economy and won't make you look like a total tool for less money.
Mentioned before, the Mercedes R-Class. It really doesn't add anything at all to the lineup.
Opel Signum, if you want a Vestra stationwagon, get a Vectra stationwagon. If you want something that has style, charisma and luxury, FOR GOD'S SAKES DON'T GET A FUCKING OPEL CAUSE THEY HAVE NONE! (sorry, got carried away)
7-seater people carriers with enough bootspace to hold 2 toothbrushes. IMHO it is pretty useless to be able to either seat 7 and be unable to move any luggage (except the aforementioned 2 toothbrushes), or have space for the luggage of 7 people but being able to only seat 5.
Also mentioned before, the Cadillac BLS. It's basically a Saab 9-3 in drag. But people at GM kinda forgot that in Europe Cadillac means very little to most people. If you ask Europeans to name a Cadillac, most will come up with the Eldorado. Not the kind of thing you'd want your nice and discrete corporate sedan associated with. That said, i think it looks good both inside and out and the price isn't wrong.
Also mentioned, Small C+C's, most look like UTTER CRAP (colt, Micra, 206) and have "MAN LOVE RULES OK" written all over them.

that's about it for now.

Ahh...you see this is where they trumpet the phrase "production car."

For some enthusiasts, working on a car is as much fun as driving it. For others, they merely want to be spoon fed ;)

1000 hp can be easily gotten out of many engines with ease. The most reliable of which are the larger, American eight and ten cylinders..if you're talking about engines from production cars such as the Corvette and the Viper. GM and Ford also sell crate engines with even bigger displacements.

Top speed is a bit more tricky. Aerodynamics and gearing come into play. Hang out at the Salt Flats, make a few friends, and 253 mph will come.

Luxury...that's easy. Just replace interior of what ever car you're doing with better items. Exotic leather and even diamonds. Take a submarine down to where ever DeBeers sink their dimaond supply and dig up a few crates.

So what your basically saying is there is no car that offers the speed power and luxury of a Veyron but you could build one. Yeah great. I think it would still be extremely hard to build a car with over 1000bhp that went over 253mph and that had the luxury and reliability of a Veryon. Hiring a submarine to go and steal diamonds is really practical.:rolleyes:

7-seater people carriers with enough bootspace to hold 2 toothbrushes. IMHO it is pretty useless to be able to either seat 7 and be unable to move any luggage (except the aforementioned 2 toothbrushes), or have space for the luggage of 7 people but being able to only seat 5.

Out of my own experience: they can come in quite handy at some occasions: getting out on evenings for example - all luggage you need to take along are the girl's handbags and you can take another two persons along compared to an ordinary car. I surely don't need them everyday, but the two additional seats of my parent's Zafira have definitely been used more than I would've initially expected.

You can make a diesel car WAY faster than a gasser without too much trouble. Not to mention you can go farther on a tank of fuel as well.
The thing about fuel ecconomy is interesting, because it makes turbo diesels the "i" of today.

"i" made the GTIs practical, fast and ecconomic, the diesel makes it even more ecconomic.

Lancer Evolutions. true, there's performance and looks, but it's the cars computer that does the driving and takes care of the handling, not the driver.

M-B flagships: they look sporty, they pack huge power, but they also weight as much as aircraft carrier.. and exactly same car can be found with a economical diesel?! good job.. same goes for BMW.

Citr?en Xsara/C4 coupe/picasso : same car, but it has absolutely hideous mpv version, and the coupes.. despite sporty looks, 136bhp from 2l is hardly sporty nowadays. come on, french people! make some insane, hot cars like you did in the 80's! not these egg-shaped bubbles!

Volvo's C70 coupe: let's see.. it's V-series in drag. no awd either. coupes are supposed to be sporty!

Fiat multipla: nuff said..

Audi A2: no quattro available, no sporty engines = fail. why did they even bother?

Micra CC/Colt CC, Daihatsu Copen: people could get first gen miatas/MX-5's with half the price and have more fun.

Opel OPC line + other overpowered FWD's: why do they make an fwd car with 200bhp+ when all that power can do is make the TCS blink like mad?