Car'tainment wars

You also can't disable individual features of CarPlay. Its all or nothing. Again using Maps as an example, if you're traveling to another country and don't get data on your phone, you can't disable that one part of the software. You either get a big blank screen with Apple Maps (no data) or no CarPlay at all (to use the vehicle's native nav). Also theres too much drastic screen switching from Apple to native and back to control various features vehicle features.

Did you try Here maps? Better that Google in many cases.

For whatever in setup is in the car it should be able to deal most mobiles. Should be trivial to swap routes from one Ios to android or google to here to tomtom etc.....

Good question. I didn't try the native audio features. Will need to investigate, but presumably yes. The way I see it is the radio and CD through the car's interface and switching to CarPlay for USB/streaming music. Seems really clunky.

Yeah. Honestly i'm with you and would rather just connect my phone via bluetooth and use the automaker's UI. Granted, I'm not exactly everyday people, nor am i the Google/Apple addled tech press who bash carmaker UI's despite not really particularly caring about cars for the most part....

Did you try Here maps? Better that Google in many cases.

For whatever in setup is in the car it should be able to deal most mobiles. Should be trivial to swap routes from one Ios to android or google to here to tomtom etc.....

On the iPhone, you cannot set default apps to open things with - tap an address for example, and it'll always open in Apple Maps.

Furthermore, Apple is very picky about "avoiding duplication of system features/apps" - It wouldn't surprise me if Apple Maps will remain the only CarPlay compatible mapping solution.

Google positions updated Android as a standard for cars

A third feature arriving soon is the ability of an Android Auto-enabled car to connect to a smartphone without a physical cable. But there is a catch: Android Auto will only support wireless connections over Wi-Fi.

?We?ve tested Bluetooth, but it?s not a great experience,? Brady said. ?It doesn?t have the bandwidth you need to display video at 30 to 60 frames per second. We believe that for a good experience, you really need Wi-Fi.?
http://europe.autonews.com/article/...itions-updated-android-as-a-standard-for-cars

Does that mean it could work if you turned your phone into a Wi-Fi hotspot?

Does that mean it could work if you turned your phone into a Wi-Fi hotspot?

Honestly, I'd rather just plug in the fucking cable at that point.

they don't care it's free
the data can be hidden and protected for the likes of apple and google
that's the reason they're all jumping on the bandwagon

you can download the distribution for ARM devices...i wonder what happens when i try to install it on my phone :D

they don't care it's free
the data can be hidden and protected for the likes of apple and google
that's the reason they're all jumping on the bandwagon

you can download the distribution for ARM devices...i wonder what happens when i try to install it on my phone :D
Of course they care it’s free, they don’t want to pay anything to license software :p

that free would just be added to the price of the car
not like they would pay for the license with their own profit

that free would just be added to the price of the car
not like they would pay for the license with their own profit
They can still charge you more but this way they don't have to license anything ;)