Challenge/Special ideas

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
I was watching a YouTube series on overland travel when I found this episode of travel in Angola.

Skip to 6:00.

This just screams "Top Gear Special" to me.

Last edited:
I've always thought an epic trip (2 hour special at the very least) would be to follow the path of the Trans-Siberian Railway, using Soviet era cars.

Our state prison is called Angola, and the thought of the boys out in those cane, sugar, field or riding in the rodeo gave me a chuckle.

That rodeo btw is a big deal. Best behavior manager they have. As the warden said, when inmates are suing you so they can be in the rodeo, it is a big deal.

Your video is quite nice too.

I always wanted to see "Around the world in 80 cars" or something similar. Give them a set budget to circumnavigate the globe. A car breaks, they replace it out of the budget. Or when changing continents. Basically "Long Way Round" but with more wheels and crappier vehicles.

Last edited:
I want to see them do a race on the Targa Newfoundland route.

Around the world in 80 cars would be a fun concept imho.
I would like to see that, but with at bit of a twist, they are given lets say $1000 and have to buy a car in the UK (and we got to see them searching for them in papers, on the web and so on) and they get a note on where they need to go and then sell the car there with a profit, they get their next destination, go there, sell the car and repeat.
The winner would be the once who has gained most profit from selling their cars.

It would be interesting - but also a rip-off of Mike Brewer's Trading Up WD spin-off.

I'd rather have them with a budget to buy a car and save some money for spare parts, repairs etc. The car should last as long as possible, however, trading it for a different one would be allowed. The one who gets the most money back...

Last edited:
It would be interesting - but also a rip-off of Mike Brewer's Trading Up WD spin-off.

I'd rather have them with a budget to buy a car and save some money for spare parts, repairs etc. The car should last as long as possible, however, trading it for a different one would be allowed. The one who gets the most money back...

There is no way the boys could trade up at each stop, especially with how they "improve" their challenge vehicles. It would come down to who has lost the least money.

They could start with 15 000$ cars.

every time they have to take a plane or a boat, the cars goes to auction. The money they get is what they have to buy another car after reaching the next destination.

It gives them the opportunity to get the right car for the right place, but they would have to pay attention to keep the value whatever the mess they are in if they don't want to end up with a 500$ car or... The usual sh*tty rescue one. :)

How about a backup car that starts out being not-so bad and gets progressively worse.

I think its been done before.

remember Wheeler Dealers Trading Up?? Its the same.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Yes, but that was on a different show, with competent people, and not done while trying to travel around the world. The point isn't to make a motoring show, it's to make an entertaining show - Clarkson, Hammond, and May trying their hands at different challenges is what makes the show what it is.

1970 426 or 440 Challenger vs. 1970 454 Chevelle SS vs. 1970 429 SCJ Ford Torino in Europe.

It's worth mentioning that after 1970 the US Government tightened emissions rules, which resulted in these cars really being the last of the high-horsepower muscle cars.

Last edited:
This is a repeat, but I'd really like to see 3 less than 25 year old TVRs in the United States. Most Americans are completely unfamiliar with TVR, and completely unaware that they ever existed, so the response to Americans seeing 3 of the more recent vehicles from a company that was very cool would be interesting to see. If this gets done, perhaps it could include something with the Greenbrier

280px-TVR_Sagaris_in_Monte_Carlo_cropped.JPG

Tvr.cerbera.arp.jpg

TVR_Griffith_500.JPG

Last edited: