Chat Room [IRC Channel]

So, recap. Last weekend was an awesome weekend, because it was FOSDEM. And J, my very good friend who is also the sysadmin for the platform where the server running the IRC is hosted, decided to finally upgrade the virtual networking system (Vmware NSX) that had been causing troubles for quite some time, with machines randomly losing networking. Because it was a routine upgrade, he decided to do it from the hotel between the conference and the dinner. I asked him "how long will the disruption last?" "Less than a second" was his answer.
Sadly, he turned out to be wrong. After upgrading NSX and rebooting the hosts, they would refuse to load anything related to networking, or hosting VMs or storage.
Dinner on saturday came and went, with him trying to fix the issues from his phone in the restaurant.
Sunday came, most of his day was spent trying to find the issue, including sitting in the passenger seat of a mutual friend's Subaru, trying to diagnose the issue over his phone while abroad, he burned through almost a gigabyte of data from RDP. By this time, another mutual friend, S, who, like J, is a VMware VCDX (basically the highest certification you can get from VMware), and is also one of the top ranking VMware NSX consultants in Europe, was also helping in trying to find the issue. At the end of the day, both had the feeling they were at least closing in on the issue, yet no idea on how to fix it yet.
Today, J and S spent most of their day telephoning with various VMware support technicians, and they finally homed in on the issue, and found out how to fix it. Which was around 17:00 CET.

So, tl;dr: An upgrade broke shit, and it took the combined might of two of the best VMware consultants, and half the VMware support staff to fix it. I was busy listening to open source hippies about cool projects and kida forgot to read the forums.

Other famous last words:

- "Does it bite?"
- "What's that cable?"
- "Clear on the right."

Not forgetting:

"How hard can it possibly be?"
"What could possibly go wrong?"
and
"I wonder what happens if..."

Is this the former Formula 1 racer Steve Levin Who used to live on Lockport NY? If so, My father and I met you at your moving sale, bought a bunch of stuff from you and went to steak dinner? Do you recall this?

DanRoM;n3373616 said:
The IRC server has an expired certificate. Please fix. :)

It took more than a year, but the certificate is fixed now. Also, I've updated the IRCd and changed servers, so let me know if anything goes wrong. The best place is IRC, since I almost never check the forums, but I'll try to pop back in here to see if anyone mentions stuff going boom.

Zeeall;n3549266 said:

So, it's not really a priority. It's been pretty much dead for at least the last 12 months. The forums are the bigger issue, and Viper's health is far and away more important than any of it.
I would think PC will get to it eventually, but realistically, it might be time to pull the plug on IRC for good.

Misrabelle;n3549272 said:
So, it's not really a priority. It's been pretty much dead for at least the last 12 months. The forums are the bigger issue, and Viper's health is far and away more important than any of it.
I would think PC will get to it eventually, but realistically, it might be time to pull the plug on IRC for good.

:/ It has been a fun 10 years.

Off to the next online chat then.

Got any suggestions?

Sorry. I didn't notice it hadn't restarted after a server issue. It's working now, and hopefully I've fixed the autostart scripts.

RIP my half-ops (hops!) status.

I changed some DNS stuff and I must have screwed something up. I'll investigate.

Should be fixed in ~30 minutes. I fixed the DNS issue.