Cheese

Blayde

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'06 Honda Civic EXi, '11 Kia Sportage EX
I want to start trying different types of cheese, but i have no idea where to start, I was thinking of starting with Edam and Gouda, but i don't know if there's anything to look out for, brand, specific types etc.

Im am a cheese nub, but i want to get a decent set of cheeses for different sandwiches and dishes that i can slice myself and lessen use of the processed stuff we buy now.

I'll have to make a list of what all we get here, so i can get recommendations based on the types, we dont get a lot here, but there's enough for variety

I got this book one day at the used bookstore. Opened my eyes to cheese.

cheese-primer.jpg

My favorite cheese is definitely feta cheese.

My favorite cheese is definitely feta cheese.

I could not agree with you more, I love feta. I also love almost every kind of cheese in my fridge right now I have 3 types of Wisconsin cheddar, jarlsberg, feta, a black pepper ch?vre cheese, pecorino, Parmigiano-Reggiano, a local framers cheese. I have several Greek cheeses like ??????, Cretan graviera, and Kefalotyri, but I'm unsure how readily available they are in you area.

I love cheese as well...

My favourite emmental cheese is the Jarlsberg chese, I use it a lot. These days you get a lot of Edam cheese, which I also like a lot. Those along with certain types of Camembert cheese are my favourite mainstream cheeses. I also enjoy Manchego, Gorgonzola and Roquefort. I also use Parmigiano and Mozzarella, but that's mostly for cooking, and for topping off pasta dishes...

"Behold the power of cheese!"

I love cheese...I'm actually eating some Swiss right now. And I love mozzarella!

Sadly most of the cheese I would eat would probably not be considered real cheese by an enthusiast. Mozzarella, cheddar, American, Swiss, Provolone, and other mild stuff.

Sadly most of the cheese I would eat would probably not be considered real cheese by an enthusiast. Mozzarella, cheddar, American, Swiss, Provolone, and other mild stuff.

yeah, that's my issue, i need to document what's available, so i can vary my choice of slice on sammiches and such

ive also started cheese as a "hobby", once a month we buy 2-4 varieties, some good bewerage to go and rate them.. Nearly bought the old amsterdam adu recommended, but went for a jalapeno cheddar this time.. also regina blau and champagne brie. Im still in a phase where im selecting quite safe cheeses.. I personally like hard cheeses more than creamy and sweeter cheeses.

Herbed Ch?vre is probably my favorite. When I go camping I like to grill a Brie or Camembert with pesto or brandy/whiskey.

sadly i havent been to the market to list and buy new cheeses :( should go in the weekend

Thanks for reminding me, I've got some Tesco cheese I picked up in the UK. At like 1? each per quarter kilo slab, it's not a bad deal, and the cheese is actually rather good. And you're certainly not getting red leicester at any price hereabouts. same goes for double gloucester.

tesco_cheese_lol.jpg

Carrs water biscuit + Syrah(French)/Shiraz(OZ) Red wine + best New Zealand salted butter, and one (or more) of the fuller bodied cheeses - yum yum.

I think I'll go home for some er cheese. ...

Last edited: