Cherry G80-1000 not working with PS2 port

shad_68

DOOD looks like a lady
Car(s)
Just Horsing Around
So I've been using an old Cherry G80-1000 forever, which still has one of those ancients DIN plugs. I've been using it with an adpater to PS2 for a long time now, so far without problems.
But now I upgraded my mainboard (to an Asrock Z87 Pro4), which still has a keyboad PS2 socket, but apparently doesn't work with the Cherry.
The keyboard works on my old PC, but unfortunately I don't have another PS2 keyboard at hand to test if the socket works at all, but since it's a brand new board that would be kind of weird.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas why it suddenly won't work with this board? :dunno:
Edit: Frogot to mention, none of the LEDs light up either.
Scratch that, the LEDs flash a couple of times at startup, so it's definitely getting an electrical connection.

Last edited:
If anyone's interested, or might have a similar problem in the future:
The only solution I found, and in the end went with, is to get a PS2-USB converter like this. My keyboard works immediately upon startup now, both in BIOS and Windows.
One thing to note is that you can't just patch the PS2 signal to the USB plug, so a "dumb" adapter won't work. You actually need a converter that picks up the signals over the PS2 port, interprets them and sends on a new USB-compatible signal. Aparently some converters may have issues with certain keys, have to reset themselves periodically, may lose some input, etc., but the one I got seems fine so far. One minor thing, from what I read the USB protocol doesn't support NKRO, so you'll lose that capability with all converters.

Anyway, I should be fine now, until USB becomes obsolete and I need another adapter, that is. :p

Last edited:
thunderbolt to usb-adapter? :D