SM08RMO.jpg

Corsa 3-door hatchback, SXi, 1.2i 16v, Manual 5-speed
Starting RRP
?12,175.00
Glacier White
?0.00
Twist - Charcoal with red stitching
?0.00
16-inch twin-spoke alloy wheels (15-inch steel spare) with 195/55 R 16 ultra-low profile tyres
?0.00
Plus Pack
?0.00
Protection Pack
?0.00
TOTAL options
?0.00
TOTAL accessories
?0.00
TOTAL RRP
?12,175.00

Why do we get a shitty Daewoo and not this as our Barina in Australia? I'd buy that any day!

Cause Australia is really far and mostly inhabited by spiders who don't drive :p
There's a facelift coming on the Corsa, apparently they're not going to change the outside just tune the engines a bit for more power and less consumtion. I want a Corsa GSi

Last edited:
I will not report for rep whining, I will not report for rep whining....

As someone who gave neg rep (and signed it, as I recall) I stand by it. No reason to call someone a "fucking idiot".

xe.com said:
12,436.00 GBP = 22,356.25 AUD
United Kingdom Pounds Australia Dollars
1 GBP = 1.79770 AUD 1 AUD = 0.556265 GBP

Hmmm. In order of my own personal preference:

1. Fiat 500 Pop 1.2, currently $22,990 driveaway (will need to haggle)
2. Suzuki Swift Sport, currently $23,990 driveway (will need to haggle a bit harder)
3. Fiat Punto Dynamic 1.3JTD, currently $23,990 driveaway (shouldn't be too hard to get this down to $22,356.25)

Also rans:
4. Mazda2 Maxx, currently $21,850 driveaway (don't need to haggle but probably would anyway :p)
5. Hyundai i30 SX 1.6 Turbo Diesel, currently $22,490 driveaway (a small haggle required here)
6. Ford Focus CL 2.0, currently $21,990 driveaway
7. Mitsubishi Lancer ES 2.0 Sportback, currently $20,990 driveaway

You know ... this game is quite tricky to play if you're Australian. The last 3 I'm not sure if I'd even want, to be honest ...

Last edited:
Why do we get a shitty Daewoo and not this as our Barina in Australia? I'd buy that any day!

Off topic: Because Holden thinks its customers are all poor idiots who wont pay extra for an imported (and much better) European car and can't tell the difference between that and a shitty Daewoo with some plastic vents stuck on it.

I lost what remaining respect I had for Holden when they stopped selling the Astra a few months ago and replaced it with, who would have guessed, a Daewoo. Stopping imports of Opels was the worst decision Holden ever made. And if I remember correctly, second-hand Corsa-based Barinas, which cost exactly the same new as the Daewoo one, shot up in value as soon as they stopped selling it. And we will probably never see the new Astra, or the Insignia, or the Corsa or anything any good from Holden again for quite some time.

Last edited:
^ I didn't know about the Cruze replacing the Astra, but well done Holden, you just shot yourself in the foot- again. I would gladly pay for an Opel Barina, but I would not go near a Daewoo Barina with a 50-foot pole, especially after the problems my cousin has been having with her Daewoo-based Holden.

^ I didn't know about the Cruze replacing the Astra, but well done Holden, you just shot yourself in the foot- again. I would gladly pay for an Opel Barina, but I would not go near a Daewoo Barina with a 50-foot pole, especially after the problems my cousin has been having with her Daewoo-based Holden.

Hehe it looks suspiciously like a Chevrolet Aveo. Those are cheeeeeeeap. Because they suuuuuuuuuck.

Wiki says

The Daewoo-sourced Holden Barina scored a lower two out of five star ANCAP rating than its European-built, Opel-based predecessor.[4] Criticism was focused on the Barina TK because of these crash test results, one of the worst in history.[5] As a result, Denny Mooney, the managing director of Holden, was forced to publicly defend his product.[6] Holden has gone on the record stating that "safety is not a concern in this segment and sales have proven this, therefore we will not be importing the Opel Barina" as quoted by Holden marketing executive Jason Laird.

I'm suprised Holden didnt instantly go bankrupt if they go about saying things like that. :blink:

I want a OPC but I only want to pay ?12,436 for it. Also when will we get a new figure to play with?

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2009/11/23/6143433641.jpg

:love:

Last edited:
^This kind of thing is precisely why I'd never buy a Holden product. People bought the new Barina because people are often after the newest possible car they can get for the least possible money, and people are idiots. I could have easily afforded one, but I forked out several thousand dollars more for a four year old Japanese car because of the superior quality. In fairness, my Jazz isn't the safest small car out there (no side airbags for instance) and a fairly recent update of the Barina has made many improvements to it's safety credentials, but I'd still trust it in a crash over the original TK series.

But unless I actually needed a large sedan / wagon and may then consider a Commodore* - the only Holden product actually built here, I would otherwise stay clear of them. The fact that some other small Korean cars sold under actual Korean badges as opposed to GM-ified thingies are better, should serve as a wake up call. No wonder their sales have boomed down here. I know someone who recently got a brand new Hyundai i30 2.0 petrol and it is actually a pretty nice car.

I don't buy into the whole eternal stupid Holden vs Ford debate that still pointlessly rages among the great unwashed. Both companies have done things here that have made me cringe - so I go middle ground and go Japanese. I just wish they'd utilise use more RWD platforms!

^Exactly. The Commodore is the only decent car they have left. And the people who bought the Barina because it was cheap must really hate having a poor badge, because the Hyundai Getz was cheaper, safer, and generally better. My mum recently bought a late model Astra, and there are no issues with it at all. But now that its gone from the lists, I'd cough up the extra and buy a Golf.

^^ This. Holden is basically saying that they don't believe people will pay for euro-designed and made cars. Um, why are Audi, BMW and the like weathering the GFC better than GM is then?

And yeah, I'm not Holden/Ford in realation to the V8 supercars stuff, but I am definitely a Ford fan over a Holden fan, because they make their own cars for their badge and in my experience they are pretty good cars. I am considering buying a Fiesta in a few years time when I have enough cash for a new car. Holden just jumps into bed with another manufacturer every other week and sells their cars rebadged (Suzuki, Toyota and Daewoo are the three I think of off the top of my head)

And Japanese at the moment seems to be hit and miss- all the Suzuki's on our family (3 cars and 1 bike, ranging from 2 months to 15 years old) are brilliant, but the Toyotas (2) and Subarus 91) seem to be cropping up with problems. I am definitely considering a VW Polo as my next car as well, purely because the european styling and precision is well worth the extra costs to buy and maintain to me.

My previous post was incorrect, the Aveo is quite expensive (list price) for what you get. The i30 is very nice (but not 'small' and a step up in the price bracket ;)) and i20 is also a nice car for not alot of money. The Atos replacement, the i10, also manages to come off without any remarks to cheapness in the reviews (except that Hyundai didnt plan on offering it with ESP, and unless they changed that nobody here in safety-land would buy one). Hyundai responded quite simply by putting ESP on it.

Of course if we talk small cars (not medium sized cars like Polo/i20) we mustnt forget the Mazda2.

Last edited:
Hehe it looks suspiciously like a Chevrolet Aveo. Those are cheeeeeeeap. Because they suuuuuuuuuck.

Wiki says

The Daewoo-sourced Holden Barina scored a lower two out of five star ANCAP rating than its European-built, Opel-based predecessor.[4] Criticism was focused on the Barina TK because of these crash test results, one of the worst in history.[5] As a result, Denny Mooney, the managing director of Holden, was forced to publicly defend his product.[6] Holden has gone on the record stating that "safety is not a concern in this segment and sales have proven this, therefore we will not be importing the Opel Barina" as quoted by Holden marketing executive Jason Laird.

I'm suprised Holden didnt instantly go bankrupt if they go about saying things like that. :blink:

I want a OPC but I only want to pay ?12,436 for it. Also when will we get a new figure to play with?

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2009/11/23/6143433641.jpg

:love:

VXR's (OPC) are going for ?13,000 second hand on '07 plates with around 10k on the clocks. Severely tempted like.

12,436 pounds = 21k Canadian Doll-hairs

1 - Mazda3 Sport GS 6-Speed
2 - Ford Fiesta SES Hatch
3 - Honda Fit Sport