Choose your one and only car for the rest of your life!

What? Will I be the first to choose a M5 Touring?
Black_E61_M5_%282%29.jpg

Did I ever mention that Jaguar had a very successful military products division?
800px-Armoured_fighting_vehicle_-_unknown_to_the_maker_of_the_picture_9-08-2008_14-56-24.JPG

The FV721 Fox Combat Vehicle Reconnaissance (Wheeled); 30mm main gun, 4x4 armored scout car powered by a Jaguar 4.2L in a special multifuel/military configuration. It's amphibious, air-transportable and with a 65mph top speed is one of the fastest scout cars ever produced. And it'll go damn near anywhere.

However, crews used to get bored and modify their Foxes. Some were known to be able to do 80 or 90mph, and there's an old urban legend about one crew getting really blitzed and getting clocked at 100mph on the M1 in theirs.

One of the ultimate go anywhere, do anything vehicles. Anything it can't catch it can shoot. :D

Spectre wins the thread.

Oh, and I want one. Oh, and what is the name of that little scout tank behind the Jaaaaaaaaaag? I've seen that before and I like those too.

I have no real snow to worry about in Australia, and I don't go to the Alpine areas to ski. Screw that, I just end up on my arse all the time because my sense of balance is....underdeveloped. Also, I don't plan to have any kids. Not really, no. I have very little maternal desires or urges. Also, as I'm planning to try and centre a career around looking after other people's children, I will get all the adult-child interaction I need.

Therefore, I have no need for room in the back, or the ability to handle snow. Also, if I can afford the car, I'll also make sure I can afford to keep it tip-top condition enough to use it as a daily driver. When I get to old to drive (or my eyesight goes and I can't see to be safe anymore or somesuch) I'll sell it to a younger enthusiast, in particular someone who I know will be able to look after the thing at least as well as I have. I'm still going to have to go for that goddamn sexy wedge-shaped NSX! Humph! (early gen. with pop-up headlights, in red pls! :drool:)

The car I really want hasn't been built yet, but it will be offered next year: 2011 Cadillac CTS-V Sport Wagon
https://pic.armedcats.net/p/ph/phoenixsac/2010/04/06/cadillac-cts-v-sport-wagon.jpg
(Now I know that's the plain CTS wagon, but like I said, the CTS-V wagon hasn't been built yet. The only images I could find were bad Photoshop jobs.)

And if the Caddy isn't allowed, fine - my backup choice is the 2010 Range Rover Supercharged. In Santorini Black with Walnut trim, please.
https://pic.armedcats.net/p/ph/phoenixsac/2010/04/06/DSC04599.jpg
(As much as I'd like an S6 Avant or E63 AMG Wagon, they're not available in the US. :mad:)

Couldn't do it. I have the attention span of a 4 year old, and you could give me the most awesome practical and versatile car in the world and I'd get bored of it after a year.

Spectre wins the thread.

Oh, and I want one. Oh, and what is the name of that little scout tank behind the Jaaaaaaaaaag? I've seen that before and I like those too.

It's a relative of the Fox and a member of the hugely successful CVR(T) family, also another fine product of Jaguar Military. :D They were sort of a joint venture between Alvis and Jaguar, though after 20 years of service, they were re-engined in 1988 with Perkins diesel engines when the Brits decided to get off gasoline for their military entirely. They were reknowned for being quite literally the fastest vehicles of their types, with the ability to sprint at speeds up to and sometimes in excess of 65mph. And again, the crews would get bored, mod the Jag engine, and go faster.

The specific one you're looking at is a cheaper retake on the FV108 Scimitar Infantry Fighting Vehicle.

800px-FV107_Scimitar_IFV.JPEG

fv107_scimitar.jpg

That was the same thing as the Scorpion light reconnaissance tank, except it swaps the 76mm or 90mm main gun for the more versatile 30mm cannon from the Fox - though it retains the Scorpion's turret. What's in the picture is a later variant called the Sabre which is a similar idea - that time, they took the entire turret from some decomissioned Foxes and installed them on refurbished Scorpion hulls.

800px-Sabre_1_Bovington.jpg

They're smaller than some Sprinter variants. I'm still wondering why the Brits took any of these things out of service. In simulations, I've set up some really ugly ambushes with them just because they're small enough to hide well and they're perfect for urban work.

Last edited:
Opel vectra B 2.0 ecotec turbo diesel

Because it is posible to drive it for ever

cheap parts , low fuel consumption , easy to repair , decent performance , tons of room , good handling , styling, air dynamics

FWD manual less parts to get wrong

I remember there was a thread about grandma who drove her car for 40 years , this car would do the same job easaly ;)

and no these ones dont tend to rust like vectra A

pic :

Vectra_Hatchback_B_95-99_1.jpg

Well since you never said anything about having to remain stock...

'58 Buick Special with some mods
- Worked over Nailhead v8 with EFI
- 6speed automatic transaxle from a corvette (I'm prepping for laziness in my older age)
- IRS - likely from an older Jag with inboard rear discs.
- Body made from aluminum to save weight.

313594-lg.jpg

I'd have to take the AM Rapide
rapide.jpg

But if it isn't allowed because it isn't out yet,
Mercedes 190E Evolution II
Mercedes+Benz+190+E+2.5-16+Evolution+II;.jpg

Great looks, 2.5 liter engine with 235 BHP and all the goodies you get on todays cars like heated seats, adjustable suspension, airco,...
I don't care if it would break all the time.

(Now I know that's the plain CTS wagon, but like I said, the CTS-V wagon hasn't been built yet. The only images I could find were bad Photoshop jobs.)

There a few press shots in this thread, http://forums.finalgear.com/automot...1-cadillac-cts-v-sport-wagon-unleashed-43149/

And Autoblog got live shots at the NYC Auto Show - http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/new-york-2010-cadillac-cts-v-sport-wagon/

Oh, and I've decided what I want.

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2010/04/06/rr_hh_of_hi_13.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2010/04/06/rr_hh_of_hi_37.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2010/04/06/rr_hh_of_hi_10.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2010/04/06/rr_hh_of_hi_08.jpg

The Holland&Holland Overfinch Land Rover Range Rover. Complete with matching shotguns.

Last edited:
This is a hard one.. I'd propably choose one from these two:
E38 750li - A friend of mine owns one (the normal wheelbase model) I fell in love with it the first time I sat in it.
tumblr_kuz19sAlDq1qa8j14.jpg

Second choice would be the E61 M5 Touring, it's the perfect wagon for me, the other would be the new RS6 Avant but the bimmer takes the edge on me.
2008-BMW-M5-Touring-Rear-And-Side-Speed-1920x1440.jpg

If we take that question literally, we would be driving the same car for say 50 years. At a minimum, say 10,000km a year gives you around 500,000kms for the car's lifetime.

Anyone consider repairs, maintenance in their choice? I'm guess M5 Tourings might cost a bit to maintain over 50 years.

If we take that question literally, we would be driving the same car for say 50 years. At a minimum, say 10,000km a year gives you around 500,000kms for the car's lifetime.

Anyone consider repairs, maintenance in their choice? I'm guess M5 Tourings might cost a bit to maintain over 50 years.

Imagine the 50 year maintenance costs on a Bugatti 16C

Now you're just being boring.

I think this :

and my post are the best choice in this thread , because of maitenence costs

well bmw is way cooler ... :)

audi-rs6-avant12.jpg